Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there the day his old man finished up at footy park. Tears in the eyes.

Same s**t today for a completely different reason.

* this club hits differently than others doesnt it!
Ha ha we were there as well, awesome noise from North supporters at the end when he walked past, it was like a scene from gladiator where the fighter finally earns his freedom! Archer! Archer! Archer! We thundered and the stadia shook and swayed and rattled as the great man raised for one last time his fist to honour our support, as a tear ran down his cheek, I think he may even had young Jackson on the other arm.

Anyway that was the magic moment the rest was a nightmare of body odour, false teeth crunching under our heels,as we weaved through a maddening throng of port supporters, their slack jaws, awful facial tattoos and stale port (the booze) breath in our faces as they drivelled, blathered incoherently, spittle dripping from their collective chins ‘youz norf are s**t, youz norf are no good etc etc’ finally we made it the bus outside the ground (the car park a scene from Dante’s inferno where there were several fires going either cars, bonfires or just really big bbqs it was hard to tell) easier to spot were the cars of north supporters, tyres slashed. me and the missus took our cue from Royal Blue heads down staring resolutely at the floor in the bus, awash with an indescribable cocktail of spilt booze, butts, piss and blood (Jackson Pollack would have been inspired by the sight) until we slipped free at at our bus stop in the city centre and into the relative safety of our hotel rooms.

Overall an experience I’ll never forget.

BTW Port supporters can GAGF! 🖕

What? If he wasn't the son of his Dad, we'd all be questioning the selection. Sentimentality has gotten the better of everyone. He's a different player to his Dad, and hasn't shown much at VFL level. I'd rather wait till a young bloke is ready rather than throwing him in and opening ourselves up to the opportunity of his confidence being badly dented by not being up to the standard. And before you ask me why I don't apply that logic to Turner, we don't have a future with Turner. I'd prefer him not to be playing but long term it doesn't matter either way. I hope Archer makes me look a muppet, gets 15 intercept marks and towels up his opponent, but this is a scenario I'm familiar with, and it usually ends in tears

So I was at the VFL game that Jackson played as a 17 year old, and he held his own in the contest in a team getting absolutely pumped. I've also then seen him play a few games since he was listed, and I've got no problem with a F/S selection at pick 50 something for the offspring of Glenn Archer - if we can't find a spot for a boy with that pedigree, the club has no fabric.

That said, Jackson is fierce in the contest, and thus good 1 on 1, but has limited play-making skills. To give him a fair chance at the big time, he needs a simple, limited lock down job, and people around him need to be ready to receive when (on the few occasions) he takes possession (that means you LMac and Aaron). Other posters have remarked on Jackson's (slight) physical development - I don't share those doubts, he's a rangy type who hits hard enough

Good luck, go well.

I'm just praying he doesn't get injured in his first game while throwing his body around. Not because of his build, but because of his ferocity.

I feel like we've had a fair few who have been injured in their first few games in the recent years. Kyron's achilles, Mckay concussion, Bergman shoulder, all first games. I think we also had Comben and Corr suffer in their second games for us, and then the likes of Will Walker and Perez who got injured super early too. Now that I've got the debbie downer s**t out of the way...

Fingers crossed for the lad! Just keep it simple, beat your man, don't bite of too much with your disposal, and most of all ENJOY.

What? If he wasn't the son of his Dad, we'd all be questioning the selection. Sentimentality has gotten the better of everyone. He's a different player to his Dad, and hasn't shown much at VFL level. I'd rather wait till a young bloke is ready rather than throwing him in and opening ourselves up to the opportunity of his confidence being badly dented by not being up to the standard. And before you ask me why I don't apply that logic to Turner, we don't have a future with Turner. I'd prefer him not to be playing but long term it doesn't matter either way. I hope Archer makes me look a muppet, gets 15 intercept marks and towels up his opponent, but this is a scenario I'm familiar with, and it usually ends in tears
he won't get 15 intercept marks, but he is a chance of locking down a dangerous small, which is presumably the role he will play

Last edited:
Ha ha we were there as well, awesome noise from North supporters at the end when he walked past, it was like a scene from gladiator where the fighter finally earns his freedom! Archer! Archer! Archer! We thundered and the stadia shook and swayed and rattled as the great man raised for one last time his fist to honour our support, as a tear ran down his cheek, I think he may even had young Jackson on the other arm.

Anyway that was the magic moment the rest was a nightmare of body odour, false teeth crunching under our heels,as we weaved through a maddening throng of port supporters, their slack jaws, awful facial tattoos and stale port (the booze) breath in our faces as they drivelled, blathered incoherently, spittle dripping from their collective chins ‘youz norf are s**t, youz norf are no good etc etc’ finally we made it the bus outside the ground (the car park a scene from Dante’s inferno where there were several fires going either cars, bonfires or just really big bbqs it was hard to tell) easier to spot were the cars of north supporters, tyres slashed. me and the missus took our cue from Royal Blue heads down staring resolutely at the floor in the bus, awash with an indescribable cocktail of spilt booze, butts, piss and blood (Jackson Pollack would have been inspired by the sight) until we slipped free at at our bus stop in the city centre and into the relative safety of our hotel rooms.

Overall an experience I’ll never forget.

BTW Port supporters can GAGF! 🖕

Scarily enough that was exactly my recollection as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He essentially is a Turner.

He has been asked to play lockdown roles all year in the back line.

He’s not going to get many possessions but he’s been recognised so he must have effective in the jobs he’s been given.

Guess we’ll see, he’s in the side and I hope he has a fantastic debut.

Assuming we won’t be lining up with Archer and Turner both on half back flanks.

Where's this one going to rank on the list of utterly baffling list management decisions when all is said and done? Because at this stage it does seem as though it's a straight up nepotism hire.

In a position we are stacked for and already have slow players who can't kick (Turner, Bosenavulagi, etc), recruiting him over someone who could reach the top shelf at Coles seems like an oversight

He can't get the footy, he isn't quick, he can't kick, he tries like a maniac, he doesn't appear to have any other strings to his bow. I've written that about another player on list before, but I guess that one ended up in our leadership group getting 10 touches & zero tackles a game as a defensive forward, so * me right, what do I know

The poor judges of footy line begins at this post. The kid deserves a chance and he's got one. I hope that the post above is proved wrong myriad times & Arch goes well. Good luck kid

this is not a kid of Gavin Brown.. this is Archers kid.. This is Glenns boy, wow! What a moment for the club and our supporters.. lets be honest, he is not going to gather 25 of half back and put it down throats. He’ll hitbhard and be a competitor, as a raw 18 year old of he walks off 40/60.. thats enough son.

I get the Brown jnr (x2) thing verses Arch jnr but let’s not forget that it was Gav Brown himself who inspired the young Pies supporting Arch to be the crazy fearless mofo he went on to become as a player. He’s said it many times.

As for those vids…..

I reckon we’re as pumped as we’ve been for a bloody long time seeing the raw emotion on display. It’s amazing to recall getting into a lift at ye olde Telstra Dome and holding the door open for Mrs Arch and her brood of little offspring and here’s one of them about to debut on the big stage.

Go well Jacko. Bloody rapt for you and the family and I look forward to you carving out your own career henceforth.

Just crack in hard and give 100%.

Was nice seeing his hardarse dad tear up in the video. Kids make you soft :stern look
I’ve seen a bit of the VFL this year and I def had Goater and McGuiness quite ahead of Jacko .
But who knows … he might be one of those players that do not show much at VFL level but excell in the AFL.
It was definitely a change to our side we were not screaming for unless Kyron or Turner were getting replaced.

And this is what really shits me about this joint. The bloke is probably about to play one more senior game than most if not all of bigfooty combined, is the son of a the literal embodiment of the club and people still feel the need to flex 'I hope he proves me wrong.' How about wishing him well and having a bit of old fashioned hope he can the next phase of a quality lineage at the footy club. We are 17th, have been ordinary for 3 years, it's a bloody Archer, take the little wins when they come. This bloke, whatever limitations you think he has, will cross that white line and literally put his heart and body on the line for the footy club just like his old man.

Once, just once, just make something about him instead carrying on to a group of strangers about your footy knowledge on a kid you've probably never watch play live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back