Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Was my boy last year; I was really happy with his 2016, at both levels of the game. Has been training well according to all reports this preseason - one might almost say tracking excellently... I think he might play a couple more AFL games than people are bargaining for (my guess is 4 or 5):thumbsu:

So he's still rookie listed? Is this right? Got so much time on his hands.

I don't think he has that much time on his hands tbh. This will year be his most important year of his career in terms of what his future will look like IMO. This will be his 3rd and final (I think?) year on the rookie list, so will have to be elevated (if he breaks into the side and holds down a spot), or delisted and re-rookied, if Essendon think he is worth persisting with. Having seen how we went about list management next last year, gone are the days we persist with players who have question marks on them 4 or 5 seasons into their career.

Can't see him getting a game to be honest. Where do people think he is going to play? Who do they think he'll replace in the lineup?

Can't see him getting a game to be honest. Where do people think he is going to play? Who do they think he'll replace in the lineup?
There's this little thing called injuries. You may have heard of it before... because it happens to us all the damn time

Right now he's in the 30-35 range IMO but I hope he pushes past the likes of:

Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Baguley, Bird, Hocking, Howlett and Kelly

By year's end, putting him into that 20-25 range

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he's a decent chance of getting some games as the season goes on. The big advantage he has is versatility. Has shown real ability down back and up forward. I thought his couple of AFL games were full of promise last year. If he can play another say 5-10 this year that will set him up for promotion at years end. I think its doable for him.

Injuries will hit at some stage and he will get a chance whether that be up forward or down back. I think he also may be better defensively than some of our other more highly touted rebounding defenders at present simply because of his excellent agility. Up forward he will definitely be behind Fantasia and Tippa but Green/Redman/Begley would probably be the next 3 and you wouldn't say he's clearly behind all of them (he might be but i'm not sure that he is).

What I like about him is he has clear AFL standard attributes in his: pace, agility, tackling and pretty good disposal (without being elite) to boot. Its not a bad package. He continues to get stronger as well from his very, very skinny build when initially rookie listed.

I reckon he's a decent chance of getting some games as the season goes on. The big advantage he has is versatility. Has shown real ability down back and up forward. I thought his couple of AFL games were full of promise last year. If he can play another say 5-10 this year that will set him up for promotion at years end. I think its doable for him.

Injuries will hit at some stage and he will get a chance whether that be up forward or down back. I think he also may be better defensively than some of our other more highly touted rebounding defenders at present simply because of his excellent agility. Up forward he will definitely be behind Fantasia and Tippa but Green/Redman/Begley would probably be the next 3 and you wouldn't say he's clearly behind all of them (he might be but i'm not sure that he is).

What I like about him is he has clear AFL standard attributes in his: pace, agility, tackling and pretty good disposal (without being elite) to boot. Its not a bad package. He continues to get stronger as well from his very, very skinny build when initially rookie listed.
He hasn't played HB for us basically at all.

He hasn't played HB for us basically at all.

Hmm I'm sure I remember him playing HBF in one of the AFL games (of what 3 last year?). I remember being quite impressed by his work back there. I can't speak to where he has played in the VFL though (most reports I've read it is up forward) so perhaps he has played very little back there as you say.

In any case I think most players can make the transition from forward to back a lot easier than the other way around but fair enough if you think i'm overrating his ability to play as a HBF.

0mw1I8e.gif

Colyer, Stanton, Heppell, Fantasia, Zaharakis, Tippa, Redman.
Lots of competition.

Hmmm I'd say:
Yes: Colyer, Stanton, Fantasia (he could but will play forward though), Zaharakis (at times)
No: Heppell (will play in the centre), Tippa (endurance not strong enough and will play forward), Redman (not ready for AFL level yet and if he was it would be as a forward first)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back