Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Long nominated for pre-selection
Shane Potter October 3, 2014 6:21 PM
20141003_long_hero.png

Essendon Football Club today nominated young midfielder Jake Long under the provisions of the Father-Son Rookie Pre-Selection Rule.

Jake, the son of Essendon champion Michael Long has been playing football with Scotch College this season.

Michael played 190 games for the Bombers between 1989 and 2001 including winning the 1993 Norm Smith Medal.

Long impressed when he made his debut for Essendon in the final VFL game of the season against Geelong.

He showed his ability to get his hands on the football and laid a number of strong tackles in that contest.

The club will now look to pre-select Jake ahead of the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on December 3.

-----

Welcome Jake, I am sure the old man has schooled you well:)

Can someone explain his situation in layman's terms? Thanks in advance :)
We have nominated him for a father-son rookie pre-selection. Which means no FS bidding took place. If another clubs wants him, they just need to use any ND pick and he's theirs, just like any other regular draftee. If no club does so, he automatically becomes our final rookie selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there was little interest.. and I would assume that most clubs would 'know' that his heart is at EFC.

If he was a top 20 rated talent.. then it would mean little.. but for a '50/50' type selection.. I doubt any club will take him..

You may have just jinxed us mate. ;)

Nah I doubt any other club would take him. I don't think he is likely to make it is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back