Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I may have said this incredibly dumb thing before, but the player he reminds me of most is Bob Murphy. Less penetrating kick, but both have this real ease with which they get around opponents and through traffic. The ball is pretty safe in Jake's hands generally.

Looked like he belonged.

Interesting hearing Woosha. "Did you see Long to Daniher?" He was asked. "No, but I saw his crunching tackle. I just thought he was a skinny kid. He played his role well. Next it will be Watson to Long to Daniher GOAL."

Woosha obviously thinks Jake needs to put a bit of body mass on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was very impressed with Long's debut. The issues for him was always going to be whether he would be able to adapt to the physicality of the AFL and to otherwise fit into the style of play to keep himself involved. From what I've seen he has his old man's athleticism, skill and general footballing wizardry.

He never seemed to be far away from the play and was often involved providing an option, bumping opponents and laying tackles. This is what I think is most important at this stage for Long as it's what gets him selected in the team.

Compare with Edwards, who I did not see as a 19 year old but, who I think has the same if not more ability than Long who just can't do the grunt work and stay involved in matches.

Long will be able to do some serious damage in the space that will come when we are set up well and have enough strength around the ball to dictate the way the game is played. It's this aspect of his game that I think will see him have more than just a career.

Do we bulk him up over the off season or just live with the fact he might be one of those blokes who's a bit underweight his whole career?

He's good in front of a camera, the boy.

Is it a sign of how highly the club rates him that they are letting him do all of this media?

Can anyone confirm whether he has a contract for next year? I thought that he was signed for three years.

He's good in front of a camera, the boy.

Is it a sign of how highly the club rates him that they are letting him do all of this media?

Can anyone confirm whether he has a contract for next year? I thought that he was signed for three years.
He's a rookie, so he'd need to be upgraded or else the standard re-rookie contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back