Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we bulk him up over the off season or just live with the fact he might be one of those blokes who's a bit underweight his whole career?
Will need to keep his acceleration and speed, he'll bulk up a bit over the years, but not dramatically over 1 offseason.

Good call. Agility is one of his main weapons.
Looking at Michael, I reckon he shouldn't have too much trouble with the bulking tho
Michael was waifish too early on. But he always seemed buoyantly light on his feet, ready to change direction if ever an Ironmonger or an Ischenko fell his way.

Michael Long is my all time favourite player, and I've also had the fortune of meeting and speaking to the great man on a number of occasions - seeing his son out there this weekend, and the way in which he played - reminded me again of why I love this magnificent club. The Longs are a great mob. Our sport, let alone our club, is very fortunate to have them.

First two career games have been underrated, especially considering how far back he was even at the end of last year.

Watched the replay last night, his first quarter was really good. Didn't get as many possessions in the next three but was always in the picture harassing, blocking, spoiling and creating opportunities for others. Looks like he belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good performance - not huge possessions but he looks like he belongs. Has the requisite speed and skills.

Loving his physicality - plays with passion and, like many wiry types, is deceptively strong.

A good prospect - if I had to guess I'd say he'll have a meaningful AFL career .

Another good performance - not huge possessions but he looks like he belongs. Has the requisite speed and skills.

Loving his physicality - plays with passion and, like many wiry types, is deceptively strong.

A good prospect - if I had to guess I'd say he'll have a meaningful AFL career.

Totally agree.

There were a couple times he was in space streaming towards 50 but wasn't used...I was getting bloody exciting thinking he was about to kick his first goal! Another thing to look forward to next year.

I think he's a player that's well suited for AFL. Has that pace, tackling ability and evasiveness that is highly desirable from a small forward. Also pretty nice height for the role he plays. Just generally though he looks like a smart footballer out there and combined with some nice athleticism I think he will become a good player if he keeps working on his game.
Has some clear downsides though - his kicking lacks penetration (may improve), doesn't get big numbers of possessions (again may improve), too skinny (should improve). I'm still unsure about his overhead ability and marking. Like most young players his endurance is not a strength.

My expectations for him next year would be that early on he won't be in the best 22 (can't fit them all in) but if he can build on this year than he should be able to get himself some more games with an aim to being in or around the best team by the end of the year probably more top 25-30 than genuine top 22.

Love that he can stick a tackle on guys he is 10-15kgs lighter.

Look forward to seeing him at both levels when we have our full squad. The attacking side of his game has not yet been unleashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back