Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Really??? He's shown some promising signs, but hasn't really set the world on fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to agree and this is probably a fair comment on what he's achieved on the field at AFL level but I think it fails to mention that there is a background of steady improvement over his 2 years which gives rise to some optimism.
He was well down down the pecking order even within our team when he first began as a rookie 2 years ago but has kept working at his game and was able to have some promising rookie performances at AFL level.

Still needs to improve further to be able to get himself more chances at AFL level next year in what will be a much tougher team to break into. We do still need to find more quality small and medium forwards for the future but I doubt we will give many games to the non elite young guys early on without really strong VFL performances. This year you could get some easier games but next year will be much tougher.

Having said all that I do think at least you can look at him and say he has a number of AFL level attributes that could take him far. His tackling, pressure, pace and evasiveness are things that he has that he can use to forge his place in our best team in the future.

I tend to agree and this is probably a fair comment on what he's achieved on the field at AFL level but I think it fails to mention that there is a background of steady improvement over his 2 years which gives rise to some optimism.
He was well down down the pecking order even within our team when he first began as a rookie 2 years ago but has kept working at his game and was able to have some promising rookie performances at AFL level.

Still needs to improve further to be able to get himself more chances at AFL level next year in what will be a much tougher team to break into. We do still need to find more quality small and medium forwards for the future but I doubt we will give many games to the non elite young guys early on without really strong VFL performances. This year you could get some easier games but next year will be much tougher.

Having said all that I do think at least you can look at him and say he has a number of AFL level attributes that could take him far. His tackling, pressure, pace and evasiveness are things that he has that he can use to forge his place in our best team in the future.
An afl ready body will help. He's probably a year or two from gaining that.
His kicking needs work. Just taps them a little short. If he's gonna do that he needs to follow it up with a handball option for the player he is putting under pressure
But other than, I think there is a gem under the rough edges.

Rookie contracts rarely get announced.

Do rookie contracts even get announced?
Not really. We didn't get an announcement for either of the remaining rookies last year.

Long can make it if he improves his game with the ball, which of course means being more involved in the game - Long's off the ball work is already a good standard - My guess is LOng is a 70/30 chance of making 100 games.

Long can make it if he improves his game with the ball, which of course means being more involved in the game - Long's off the ball work is already a good standard - My guess is LOng is a 70/30 chance of making 100 games.

A 70% chance? Wow that's pretty high, tbh I would be shocked if he played even half that. Would love to see it happen, but he is still a long way off being a regular AFL player IMO.

A 70% chance? Wow that's pretty high, tbh I would be shocked if he played even half that. Would love to see it happen, but he is still a long way off being a regular AFL player IMO.

2017 will tell us a lot more - I really like his non-possession work and his competitiveness.

Thought by looking at him he would be a bit soft and not like the contract but seems the opposite loves the contract and loves the club looks like he won't die wondering and wont leave any stone unturned to be the best player he can be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought by looking at him he would be a bit soft and not like the contract but seems the opposite loves the contract and loves the club looks like he won't die wondering and wont leave any stone unturned to be the best player he can be
Yep, agreed. I thought he would be a bit soft for some reason but he's not in the slightest.

Will never forget that Gold Coast game, thought he did some really handy things.

Evasive with the ball, aggressive and hard-working without it, decent user, great speed. Team orientated above all else.
There's a bit to like.
Improvements = production and physical development. Would like to see him get a bit more of it, lift his av disposals to high teens, early twenties at least. Keep building strength and size, but keep his speed.

can any1 clarify whether this is a 1 year extension on the senior or rookie list?

I would've thought he's still got a fair bit of development to go before being getting a spot on the senior list.

I think jake has all the right attributes to become a regular in our seniors, I think 2018 will be a break out year for the young fella

can any1 clarify whether this is a 1 year extension on the senior or rookie list?

I would've thought he's still got a fair bit of development to go before being getting a spot on the senior list.
Rookie list dude

currently a classic essendon 21year old. taking up a list spot yet miles away from afl standard.

Miracle if he makes it but there are some guys that can consistently improve like Tippa.
Sometimes it is better the devil you know. Agree with you that he is not up to it right now. Hopefully he continues on his improvement curve.

currently a classic essendon 21year old. taking up a list spot yet miles away from afl standard.

Miracle if he makes it but there are some guys that can consistently improve like Tippa.

Understand why you make this comment but it's doesn't really apply to Long.

Unlike a player like Ashby or Hams he has numerous attributes that would be high quality at AFL level (assuming that he can develop the physicality) and he does not need to "bulk up" to play his role which would be on a wing.

I'm much happier persisting with Long than I am with the others because there is an insight into the sort of player who could be very valuable at the top level. I never saw it in most of the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back