Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

My argument was that Longy hadn't been "given every opportunity to prove himself". How does 3 games in 3 years and 2 and a quarter pre-season games equate to that?

Nice match-winning goal he kicked too, don't you think? ;)

Yeah you're probably right.

How could they possibly know if he can play after only giving him 3 full seasons of vfl + a few senior games + senior JLT games + an upgrade to the senior list for another year of full time footy? The poor lad is being starved of opportunity.

Eth I don't really get your argument but I may have missed something a few pages back. Given an opportunity to prove himself doesn't mean AFL games. There are plenty of draftees that fail to play AFL because of either lack of impact at VFL level or injuries etc. I do not watch as much VFL as you and Long could be one of the players that performer better at higher levels but he's been around long enough and provided with ample opportunites.

For what it's worth, I like his game - aggressive and good skills but I do wonder whether he impacts the game enough.

Long probably should’ve gotten more games in 2016 because of the banned players, he played a really consistent couple of months in the VFL before finally grabbing his debut.

Could he be trialled as a potential lock down small defender? Has good natural attributes but just doesn’t seem to be able to get the footy enough.

The flame still burns despite it seeming to be out with Long missing the first few games of the VFL year.

He only played a half against Collingwood which accounts for his numbers in that match.

Yesterday against North at Windy Hill he patrolled his wing to great effect. He was prolific in the first half and then was a bit quieter in the second half as we took control of the game and buried North.

He picked up 29 possessions (10 kicks ad 19 handballs) with seven tackles. He kicked the ball well and ran with it too. The wings at Windy Hill can get quite cramped which explains the high handball to kick ratio. I am critical of Clarke for handballing too much but I didn't have the same problem with Long because he was sharing the ball on the run.

I had him as third best on ground behind Redman and Langford who both put in really high quality performances.

1.5 games into his VFL season, I am not sure what his fitness is like. It might be a week early this week but if he backs up yesterday's performance next week I'd bring him in. Whether he comes in for Mutch or replaces Tippa as a small forward wouldn't concern me.

I've heard he might not be too far off and he was good? From what I understand his numbers aren't high, but Jake's becoming one of those " what he does with the ball " types. I hope he's in the senior mix soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still no real point of difference with him. His clangers are reallllllly bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back