Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

There needs to be a frank discussion between Worsfold and the list management team about Jake. I think he's capable of making it but if Worsfold isn't going to ever give him a decent run despite earning a call up then he's wasting a list spot, may as well cut him loose and let him chase a list spot somewhere else.

Colyer off the list is huge for him, absolutely huge.

And Green and Baguley.

You'd think that he's going to get a run as a small forward.

On most recent AFL form he was on the right track so I’m happy to see him get another year.

TBH mostly I just like him cos he’s Longy’s son, so I can’t tell if he really does deserve a spot...

We all remember Longy as a champ, rightly so.
It took him a good few seasons till he started doing the things we remember him for.
I’m all for giving Jake some game time, that’s what it’s gonna take.

I think he's a bit fortunate in that he's depth for roles that we don't have great depth for. He's pretty much the 2019 Jackson Merrett. However he is younger and may be a bit more of a chance of finding another level.

Well Dodoro is certainly not shy when it comes to talking Long up.

I would love to know how it was decided that Long would get another year.

I can't help but feel that Zach Package is right. It would seem that list management has a different view to that of the coaching staff.

Time will tell but if they were going to persist with Colyer last year and Shiel and Redman can be added to those teams it is very hard to see how Long plays a lot of senior footy next year.

He's going to need the mother of all preseasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a distinct lack of injuries?

Has a history of soft tissue injuries.

2015 - 15 games.
2016 - 18 games.
2017 - 16 games - 4 weeks of suspensions didn't help - interrupted pre season meant he didn't debut sooner
2018 - 16 games - interrupted pre season meant he got passed by other youngsters

Last edited:
Has a history of soft tissue injuries.

2015 - 15 games.
2016 - 18 games.
2017 - 16 games - 4 weeks of suspensions didn't help - interrupted pre season meant he didn't debut sooner
2018 - 16 games - interrupted pre season meant he got passed by other youngsters
He actually doesn't but keep that going in your head.

I can see why it makes sense to have him for another year, purely as someone who can fill a need and come in to play 2-3 games as a depth pressure forward. With Colyer/Green/Merrett all off the list, we don't have really have someone who can come in and play those games when injuries (and they will) occur. Those 3 played 17 games between them. As it weird as it sounds due to the calibre of those players, they need to be replaced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back