Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Great to see Jamie get another crack at it this week, he was unlucky last week to have 3 kicked on him.

I think once he gets a bit more game experience he will progress as a player, you can’t expect miracles from a 28 year old who has played 160 odd games. Plenty of upside there, should hit his peak in two or three years when he plays his 200th.

Last edited:

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m still waiting for him to play forward.

not once has he ever wandered forward, just to see....

I don’t have high expectations, but let’s try him there like Sholl at the same age.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m still waiting for him to play forward.

not once has he ever wandered forward, just to see....

I don’t have high expectations, but let’s try him there like Sholl at the same age.
Push him forward and tell him to play as an intercept marking defender.With our delivery into the forward fifty he could clunk a dozen marks for the match.

Northwards

Senior List
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The whole not our worst thing is very accurate and is not good enough for someone who has played 150+games who has not really developed since the 50 game milestone.

I’m by no means a massive fan of his but also think that while the effort and mistakes are his to own, I believe that players should be played where they are most effective. Now in JMacs case I think we’d all agree that he is a substandard defender who lacks the ability to be accountable for a man and is although a reasonable endurance runner lacks the pace to play on the modern day half forward.

I personally think he should be in the 18th man-VFL range on our list. So I don’t think he should be playing most weeks and that players like Murph should be given his spot to see what we have.

However, due to various injuries and “the cupboard being bare” (which I tend to agree with within reason) he is currently playing in our side most weeks. My opinion is if he is proven to be a subpar defender both in the contest and on the lead, as well as have shaky decision making under pressure. Would it not be logical if you’re going to play him to play him where his deficiencies don’t cost us as dearly as in defence ?
I’ve seen him named on the wing, I know that doesn’t mean much but I hope he plays there or even has a half forward (as an above poster mentioned) because at times he has shown the ability to provide drive inside 50. Not saying it’s game changing but I’d rather see him in space delivering I50 4-6 times for a 50/50 split of effectiveness a game than watching him desperately try to chase down a quick half forward who’s yet again got away from him due to pace and bad positioning as a defender.

Long story short I think he should be depth at this point of his career. Been a good servant but is kind of vanilla. But if he is playing I’d rather seen him play a position that hides his deficiencies rather than showcases them for teams to exploit

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The whole not our worst thing is very accurate and is not good enough for someone who has played 150+games who has not really developed since the 50 game milestone.

I’m by no means a massive fan of his but also think that while the effort and mistakes are his to own, I believe that players should be played where they are most effective. Now in JMacs case I think we’d all agree that he is a substandard defender who lacks the ability to be accountable for a man and is although a reasonable endurance runner lacks the pace to play on the modern day half forward.

I personally think he should be in the 18th man-VFL range on our list. So I don’t think he should be playing most weeks and that players like Murph should be given his spot to see what we have.

However, due to various injuries and “the cupboard being bare” (which I tend to agree with within reason) he is currently playing in our side most weeks. My opinion is if he is proven to be a subpar defender both in the contest and on the lead, as well as have shaky decision making under pressure. Would it not be logical if you’re going to play him to play him where his deficiencies don’t cost us as dearly as in defence ?
I’ve seen him named on the wing, I know that doesn’t mean much but I hope he plays there or even has a half forward (as an above poster mentioned) because at times he has shown the ability to provide drive inside 50. Not saying it’s game changing but I’d rather see him in space delivering I50 4-6 times for a 50/50 split of effectiveness a game than watching him desperately try to chase down a quick half forward who’s yet again got away from him due to pace and bad positioning as a defender.

Long story short I think he should be depth at this point of his career. Been a good servant but is kind of vanilla. But if he is playing I’d rather seen him play a position that hides his deficiencies rather than showcases them for teams to exploit

In a 11 v 11 reserves scratch match?

Agree. From time to time throughout this thread, I've made the point that he just shouldn't be playing as a defender (IMO). I basically gave up after a while, when it became apparent to me that JMac himself believes that he is a defender.

Let's hope he is actually playing on a wing or even half forward from now on (if in the team at all).

Northwards

Senior List
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In a 11 v 11 reserves scratch match?

I think he should be playing in the scratch matches currently yes. But seeing as the coaches insist on selecting him then I’d rather we play him somewhere that hurts us less. Surely that’s better than making Castagna or 3 gamer Jake Aarts look like All Australian forwards tomorrow night ?

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think most posters here critical of Macmillan are smart enough to be basing their observations on a body of work that stretches back a long time. Most.

Debatable, I’d suggest marginally better than the FB nuffies.

Also often prefixed with “I know cause I coach the U12s, ir I know cause I used to play (without mentioning it was half forward bench in the worst team in Amateurs Div 4 seconds)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why aren't you on the match committee?
Do we have one? I wonder how the team is selected? Not sure the old fashioned match committee would exist these days. Coach would have 90% of the say I would imagine.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Remember when you were a kid, and all the other kids in class had ****ed around when the teacher left the room, and the teacher gets back and is on a warpath, so you'd keep your head down not look up and hope the teacher doesn't realise you were drawing on the walls 20 minutes ago?

That's Jamie Macmillan right now.

Remember when you were a kid, and all the other kids in class had f’ed around when the teacher left the room, and the teacher gets back and is on a warpath, so you'd keep your head down not look up and hope the teacher doesn't realise you were drawing on the walls 20 minutes ago?

That's Jamie Macmillan right now.
Or you were over at your cousins house when you were a kid, and you were all out in the backyard throwing rocks on the vegie patch garden bed, destroying the plants.
Except you only threw a few rocks and the bulk of the work was done by others in the group as you had quietly removed yourself from the destruction and sat back inside before the group was caught out.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There was a patch in that game where he actually looked ok up forward.

I still think he should be delisted at years end, but maybe throw him up forward if we have to play him due to lack of fit bodies?

Now Atley....... don’t get me started!!!

Back