Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

“Preferred role“ is a newish football term to me... and I’m positive I don’t like it.
Well he is a midfielder that should be played in the midfield. Preferred because he knows where he will play better there, and should be preferred over a few others that get a gig there. I reckon you'll get the hang of it.

Well he is a midfielder that should be played in the midfield. Preferred because he knows where he will play better there, and should be preferred over a few others that get a gig there. I reckon you'll get the hang of it.
Are you referring to Bonar?

Yep. He certainly isn't a defender. Did he even get a gig in the middle last night, centre bounce style?
Hmmm I hate to say it, because I had high hopes... but he sure as s**t is no midfielder.
He is the definition of one paced, his skills are below avg, and he has no composure.
Mid size defender might be his only hope.

preferred or not, if he wants to have a career in the game he will play where the coach can get him game time.

I'm beginning to wonder if he's even a footballer...
[/QU
I'm in the wrong queue, I'm waffling on about Bonar. MacMillan I won't vouch for. He should be at Hawthorn, they cheer points. Imo.

Hmmm I hate to say it, because I had high hopes... but he sure as sh*t is no midfielder.
He is the definition of one paced, his skills are below avg, and he has no composure.
Mid size defender might be his only hope.

preferred or not, if he wants to have a career in the game he will play where the coach can get him game time.
Yeah nah, I agree and disagree at the same time. Some blokes can defend better, some blokes can midfield better and some can forward better. We got him in, lets give him a chance. If Atley, MacMillan, Wood etc can be gifted years ..... idk.

Yep. This 100%.

Him, Atley, Ziebell, Pittard, Wood amongst a host of others are representative of the systemic mediocrity this club has represented over the past 10 years.

All average footballers that are unable to step up and take their game to another level due to their physical attributes or skills/decision making.
I'd have said 20 years

Yeah nah, I agree and disagree at the same time. Some blokes can defend better, some blokes can midfield better and some can forward better. We got him in, lets give him a chance. If Atley, MacMillan, Wood etc can be gifted years ..... idk.
So wait you think he is going to get a position change and all of a sudden get a bit of speed, explosiveness, skill??
Yeah ok, give him a go. Can’t see it myself.

Macmillan is not the key problem. We have many.

Equally though Macmillan is not a key part of the solution. (improving as a team).

Tough decisions need to be made at years end.

So wait you think he is going to get a position change and all of a sudden get a bit of speed, explosiveness, skill??
Yeah ok, give him a go. Can’t see it myself.
Bonar? Play him where he is best at, that is what I am saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not jump to hasty conclusions. I reckon he needs another 160 odd games before we can make a call on this.

He could end up great, but he's just looked so lost and surprisingly slow back there the few times I saw him that I have concerns. The athletic and skill profile that has been described, coupled with where he's played in the past, does make me think he should be playing in the guts (and it has been disappointing seeing Ahern/Polec/Dumont in there over him, on multiple occasions), but at the same time there is nothing stopping him from showing a lot of his talents down back.

Kyron wasn't a defender before this year, and before his 3(?) game cursed spree of miskicks he had already shown much much more back there than Bonar. Rarely fair to compare young players like that, my point is more than I have seen numerous really good glimpses from an out of position Kyron, but not from an out of position Bonar.

As for Jmac. I'm just over it. It's been said to death. He's rarely the worst on ground and rarely in the top few on ground, but he is the poster boy for having severe weaknesses in a position where we need those attributes as strengths, while also having a disgusting amount of experience under his belt. The fact that he shares so many of those weaknesses with 3 other, very experienced, players in the same position is just dumbfounding from a list management perspective. All 4 of Atley, Jmac, Williams, and Pittard have shown they can be good players with good form, but they've also shown they can be absolute ******* hacks and we can't carry them all, least of all at the same time, and doubly so without a single elite (or even above bloody average) player in that position to shoulder the burden.

He could end up great, but he's just looked so lost and surprisingly slow back there the few times I saw him that I have concerns. The athletic and skill profile that has been described, coupled with where he's played in the past, does make me think he should be playing in the guts (and it has been disappointing seeing Ahern/Polec/Dumont in there over him, on multiple occasions), but at the same time there is nothing stopping him from showing a lot of his talents down back.

Kyron wasn't a defender before this year, and before his 3(?) game cursed spree of miskicks he had already shown much much more back there than Bonar. Rarely fair to compare young players like that, my point is more than I have seen numerous really good glimpses from an out of position Kyron, but not from an out of position Bonar.

As for Jmac. I'm just over it. It's been said to death. He's rarely the worst on ground and rarely in the top few on ground, but he is the poster boy for having severe weaknesses in a position where we need those attributes as strengths, while also having a disgusting amount of experience under his belt. The fact that he shares so many of those weaknesses with 3 other, very experienced, players in the same position is just dumbfounding from a list management perspective. All 4 of Atley, Jmac, Williams, and Pittard have shown they can be good players with good form, but they've also shown they can be absolute ******* hacks and we can't carry them all, least of all at the same time, and doubly so without a single elite (or even above bloody average) player in that position to shoulder the burden.
Agree with all of this.

Do we have one? I wonder how the team is selected? Not sure the old fashioned match committee would exist these days. Coach would have 90% of the say I would imagine.
The team self selects by the looks of things these days. Dunno hoe else to explain Jack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back