Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he needs to keep playing on the wing. defensive winger. Seems to be sticking his tackles a lot more in recent weeks. prefer him in the team over Polec

Not sure anyone can "guarantee" that.

However, I would expect him to be on the list next year. Would be very surprised if he's not.

I'm Brady Rawlings.

I’ve got a question, Brady was it hard to find a covid mask that fits correctly?

Yes, these small ears of mine made it hard to loop over properly.

We should turn this into a Brady Rawlings AMA?
Who would win in a bar fight between yourself and Rhyce?

The real question is who won that bar fight and the answer is I would have if Rhyce didn't get pulled away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has had a great month for sure, and looks to be at home on the wing. I wonder though if Brady goes all in on a list overhaul, does he get another year?

Which kid is he keeping out of the side?

None. I think he should go around again, but depends on just how deep Brady cuts into the list

He'll get 2 years.

This will take him to 30.

After that, wait & see what else emerges, but I can't see any half back/wings putting him off the list any earlier.

He'll get 2 years.

This will take him to 30.

After that, wait & see what else emerges, but I can't see any half back/wings putting him off the list any earlier.

Sounds about right. But God I hope they stop playing him in the backline.

I reckon I first said that about 5 years ago.

imo only elite players should be playing when they are 30+ years olds, I think the rest are replaceable.

We have a bit of a problem in that the vast majority of our older players are contracted beyond this year and a fair few of our desirable younger players are not contracted. This may put someone like Jaimie under pressure due to falling out of contract at the wrong time.

Our older elite players:
Higgins (32)
Goldstein (32)
Tarrant (31)
*Daw (29)
Cunnington (29)
Brown (27)

*based on his pre-injury form

Players who are 27+ and not elite:
Hall (turns 30 Nov) contracted to 2021
Ziebell (29) contracted to 2021
Pittard (29) uncontacted
MacMillan (turns 29 in Sep) uncontracted
Campbell (turns 29 in Nov) contracted until 2021
**Jacobs uncontracted
Atley (turns 28 in Sep) contracted until 2021
Polec (turs 28 in Oct) contracted until 2023
Walker, J. (turns 29 in Nov) uncontracted
Tyson (27) contracted until 2021
Williams (27) uncontracted
Wood (turns 27 in Sep) uncontracted

**cooked

There are not many from the old and not elite list that do not have a contract beyond this year and one of those in Walker has probably played the best footy of anyone on that list this year.

The vast majority of players we have on the out of contract list are younger players that we should probably keep, there are some obviously big question marks on some of them though like the perpetually injured Garner and EVW.

We need to gather together as much of the next gen group as soon as possible and get them to grow and gel together, I think we need to cut back on inconsistent and/or low ceiling mature players who are largely depth type of players for a contending side but are getting in the way of younger players getting the much needed exposure.

We need to ensure we have good mature leaders on every line that make it easier for the younger players to succeed, to some degree we have been hamstrung by a chronic injury problem but the amount of mature players means our depth is thin for young options.

It is going to suck getting games into young kids because they are going to make mistakes a mature player shouldn't make, but it is probably better to get that done while the team is a bottom four club even when trying.

Jmac staying or going isn't as important a question as how significant in total are changes made and how much capacity are we creating for the next generation, and what kind of quality that looks like. Even though guys like Bonar and Ahern are not stars atm, they were very high quality juniors, if it clicks for them in the future when we have all the other pieces in place the potential upside is huge, while these acquisitions may end up being a bust, they were relatively cheap to acquire with the most important thing is having list space to look at these type of options.

I'd much prefer everyone we recruited become stars and we win flags, but I doubt we brought in Rawlings to continue coasting with a plan that hasn't worked decade after decade. I think his hands were tied somewhat last year, and given the contracts dished out to players before his time, but I think we will probably see significant change over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back