Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha, spot on. It isn't even close.

And saying 'JMac is a better player than Gibbo' doesn't even begin to account for the massive differential in the respective amount of **** they've copped. In the player abuse stakes, Gibbo wins by the length of 10 Flemington straights. Constantly abused from pillar to post, regardless of how he played. Go have a quick scan of his player thread if you're in any doubt.

It's clearly PERSONAL to some people.

Some maybe. I don't think in general though, I think Jmac is judged more harshly because he was perceived to have a golden ticket for way too long, people get frustrated and blame him. That's not his fault obviously but I can understand it. I'm on record for putting him squarely in the class I do for 80%+ of players - ultimately not irreplaceable. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes in our new setup, I think he has all the tools to be a very good attacking winger. Not wrapped to see Durdin out but who knows what else is going on behind the scenes with players, injuries etc. Nowhere to hide for Jmac though, if his disposal doesn't improve on earlier in the year in a team playing - clearly - much better football then the question rightly needs to be asked as to whether he suits the current team.

Ha, spot on. It isn't even close.

And saying 'JMac is a better player than Gibbo' doesn't even begin to account for the massive differential in the respective amount of **** they've copped. In the player abuse stakes, Gibbo wins by the length of 10 Flemington straights. Constantly abused from pillar to post, regardless of how he played. Go have a quick scan of his player thread if you're in any doubt.

Dear old Shannon Watt would have to be in the mix for NMWBC member of the century.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dear old Shannon Watt would have to be in the mix for NMWBC member of the century.

People forget (or they just weren't on BF) about how maligned Drew Petrie was in the early years of his career, too.

Curiously enough, statistically speaking, JMac is having a career best season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You mean his 4.6 turnovers a game this year - the most of any of our defenders?

Or number of possessions which is inflated by the new kick in rule by around 7? And which actually mean nothing if you keep kicking it to the opposition.

You mean his 4.6 turnovers a game this year - the most of any of our defenders?

Or number of possessions which is inflated by the new kick in rule by around 7? And which actually mean nothing if you keep kicking it to the opposition.

Right, so, I was going to give that to you and take what you said on face value, since you were coming off so confident. However, just for giggles, I submitted one of those footywire compares between JMac and Marley. Yes, kudos to you, JMac indeed has about 7% more turnovers than Marley. However, Marley had about 14% more clangers than JMac. Lo and behold, on every other positive measure (except for centre clearances, which is pretty insignificant for Marley and JMac never goes there) JMac clearly outscored Marley - and I mean clearly. Imagine that? Just to be clear, I’m a Marley fan.

I said something like this in the changes thread, but if they took out Durdin to have someone smaller and more flexible in defence, they are hardly going to bring in McKay, regardless of the fact his VFL game (which I think for once we all watched) was far superior to JMac’s. We just do not have a lot of healthy options for medium defenders.

That JMac was not straight back in is enough for me to trust the new selection approach - I’d be sorry if under a new coach, who can afford to experiment, anyone was no chance of playing senior football. Especially an experienced player who is done some good things over his career.

I said something like this in the changes thread, but if they took out Durdin to have someone smaller and more flexible in defence, they are hardly going to bring in McKay, regardless of the fact his VFL game (which I think for once we all watched) was far superior to JMac’s. We just do not have a lot of healthy options for medium defenders.

That JMac was not straight back in is enough for me to trust the new selection approach - I’d be sorry if under a new coach, who can afford to experiment, anyone was no chance of playing senior football. Especially an experienced player who is done some good things over his career.

I would have selected Durdin myself but I don’t have an issue with Jamie coming in, based on what you have stated above H2H.

Right, so, I was going to give that to you and take what you said on face value, since you were coming off so confident. However, just for giggles, I submitted one of those footywire compares between JMac and Marley. Yes, kudos to you, JMac indeed has about 7% more turnovers than Marley. However, Marley had about 14% more clangers than JMac. Lo and behold, on every other positive measure (except for centre clearances, which is pretty insignificant for Marley and JMac never goes there) JMac clearly outscored Marley - and I mean clearly. Imagine that? Just to be clear, I’m a Marley fan.

The other defenders' turnovers are:

Tarrant - 2.2
Pittard, 2.8
Thompson - 2.6
McDonald 2.6
Durdin - 1.6
Mackay - 0.7

Marley at 4.4 is too high but as a small defender, he's not competing with Macmillan for his spot. Plus he actually can stop his opponent from getting the ball - he defends well.

Turnovers in the back half lose games of football.

Racking up uncontested possessions in the back half definitely don't win games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People forget (or they just weren't on BF) about how maligned Drew Petrie was in the early years of his career, too.
Yep. Guilty.

Am all over JMac too. He’s had a charmed run and pleased he has to earn his spot again. Great clubman but not entirely convinced on him yet. When shaw gives him another go he has a shot at redemption in many eyes methinks.

Curiously everyone happy to advocate for the rookies to have a senior game on far less VFL form than JMac. Had a day out against Collingwood, serviceable against Sandy. Keen to see how he rolls under Shaw.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The other defenders' turnovers are:

Tarrant - 2.2
Pittard, 2.8
Thompson - 2.6
McDonald 2.6
Durdin - 1.6
Mackay - 0.7

Marley at 4.4 is too high but as a small defender, he's not competing with Macmillan for his spot. Plus he actually can stop his opponent from getting the ball - he defends well.

Turnovers in the back half lose games of football.

Racking up uncontested possessions in the back half definitely don't win games.

All I’m saying, Arden, is that it’s not that cut and dried. Jamie has more contested possessions as well, surprisingly. Anyway, as I’ve said before, I would have picked Durdin this week too.

Talk of averages is useless in this season when there has been such a stark contrast in style post Brad.

Jmacs last full match vs bulldogs he had 1 (one) turnover, and played a good game.
Vs tigers he had zero in 38 minutes.

It's also good to keep in mind that as we are not exactly insiders here we don't get a look in at too much of the training, analysis and tactical discussion that happens in between matches.

I'm sure that as a multi million dollar business that concerns itself with winning games of football we wouldn't play a guy without good cause.

Let's just, see how things go. I hope he plays a blinder.

He just isn't equipped to play in this sort of team. I've got no issue with him getting a chance again and he will likely play more senior games between now and the end of the year, but he just cannot play a contested style of footy. His tackling and use of body is just not there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back