Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Aug 13, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
jmac.jpg

Jamie Macmillan
Height: 188cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 29/09/91
Recruited from: Scotch College/Oakleigh Chargers
Bio: Versatile player with clean hands both in the air and on the ground. Athleticism, pace and decision making are all features. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009. Tested soundly at Draft Camp including a 10.42mins for 3km. Averaged 19 disposals for the Charges including seven contested and four tackles in 2009.

In his own words

What type of player are you?
A running half-back flanker who reads the play well and likes to set up attacks by foot. Reasonably accomplished skills on both sides of the body. Can play both in and under or an outside player. Can also play on ball and good around stoppages.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Andrew Mackie. He reads the play well across half-back and can play both tall and small. Similar body type and I feel I go about it the same way he does. Mackie has a good right foot as well.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Skills on both feet and both hands and my versatility is very good. I can win my own ball and tackle well. I can read the play reasonably well and my stoppage work is OK.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Fitness base and I would like to get quicker. My disposal can lack care so I would like to fix that. I have a lot to learn in terms of positioning around the ground.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Essendon. My Dad goes for them and it is a family tradition.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Mum and Dad have always believed in me. Dad played a lot of footy and has coached me so he taught me a lot. Adam Ramanauskas was my favourite player and to see him come back from cancer was a big inspiration especially when I was out for a year.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Craig Sholl 2.0

SweetLeftFoot

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Essendon. My Dad goes for them and it is a family tradition.

Yeah, all good until this bit.

Needs some last quarter Round 15 1993 action burned onto his eyeballs until he forgets his horrendous past life with the monsters.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So I am looking for a downgrade midfielder for L. Jetta to get some cash to get Chapman in for Brown (I have 103k in the bank)

The 2 choices seem to be MacMillan from the Roos and Stevens from the Eagles.

I was leaning towards Koby Stevens but there are concerns regarding his fitness (had PO over the preseason) so I don't know how much game time he will actually get/how many games he will end up playing.

What do ppl think ??? Stevens or MacMillan or a junk midfielder who can also play forward to allow me move players in and out of my midfield/forward line ???

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
This guy looks good for a young kid coming into an AFL club straight away.
Remember Urqs was playing VFL ressies when he was drafted first drafted.
He should take pratts place in the team soon enough.

What drafting we have done from the last 2 drafts.
Bryce lewis you legend.

GarnerSmash

10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is Jamie MacMillan's second preseason and the benefits are already showing for him.

I have been down to training twice this preseason and Jamie looks very lean and fit after his post season running sessions and the Utah camp which has put him towards the top of the endurance runners at the club. He seems to be very determined to get the best out of himself and with the skill and composure he has shown in his limited career to date it is difficult to not see him have an impact in 2011.

It will be interesting to see how MacMillan is utilised in 2011, with his emergance and the recruitment of Cameron Richardson providing NMFC with a plethora of capable half back flankers and wingmen. He will be in quite a tussle for a spot in the senior side if all are fit.

I will be keeping an eye on Jamie in 2011 and will do my best to provide informaiton on any training sessions and preseason games that I attend, as well as a round by round analysis of his senior games.

SweetLeftFoot

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees
JMac will be a revelation next season. His decision making and accurate kicking will be a big weapon. I expect him to play through the middle as a sort of 'transition' player.

But will he get his hands on the ball enough?

With more experience he'll start finding himself involved in the play more and more, so know worries about him finding the ball enough.

What excites me about JMac is his ability to sum up the situation quickly and take the most creative option with the skill to pull it off.

He's the type of player that can be very damaging with just a few disposals and it's fair to say he's got a very big future.

Massive wrap for this guy.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jamie Macmillan took part in the intra club last night and spent most of the game deep in defence for the white team who played against our best forwards.

Macmillan rotated between Thomas and Warren and never looked too troubled against them. He was often the go to guy when bringing the ball out of defence and was willing to run and carry as well as spot up targets by foot. Not every kick hit it's target but those that did were quality. Macmillan appeared to be having some trouble with his quad, having it massaged during breaks. Regardless, he showed good speed, a good ability to read the play and plenty of poise and skill.

One passage of play saw him read the play significantly better than his opponent, cutting off a speared pass about 30 meters out directly in front and taking a clean grab before quickly assessing the situation and hitting up his target.

I wonder if he would have had the opportunity to play more off a flank if Rawlings had not been injured early. Perhaps Macmillan would have had a greater opportunity to have an impact on the game if this had not happened.

Overall a decent hit out by Jamie, indicating that there is plenty to come from the young man.

Jul 20, 2010
Eugenes Balcony
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I note a twitter question to Scott Thompson, during yesterdays practice game, asking where he sees MacMillan playing in the side.

Thompsons reply: Wing/running back.

MacMillans decision making and Urquarts laser right foot in the defensive/offensive transitions should see our hit up forwards get much better ball from now on.

Wells, Boomer, Flash, Anthony and Atley can provide the line breaker stuff.

It's all starting to come together.:)

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I note a twitter question to Scott Thompson, during yesterdays practice game, asking where he sees MacMillan playing in the side.

Thompsons reply: Wing/running back.
Yeah Obba, he certainly has all the attributes to play that role.

Add to that his ability to play on a man and shut him down it makes him a well rounded prospect. It's a little hard to believe that he is only 19 and has been in the system for just over 12 months. He seems much more mature than that in the way he performs and thinks on the field.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2011 NAB Cup

NM vs Geel & WB

Jamie Macmillan played both games on Sunday and took up position in the most inexperienced back line I have seen represent the club in an official game. I think it would be fair to say that Jamie would not be overly happy with his performances on the day.

Jamie had a total of 9 touches for the day, 6 in the Geelong game and 3 against the Bulldogs. Missing from these outings was the run provided off half back by Jamie in the practice game the other week. That role seemed to be given to Super Gav instead. Jamie appeared moreso to play a defensive stopping role. In the Bulldogs game he got a bit of a touch up from Shaun Higgins, who kicked 1.1 on him and was beaten on the lead and in a body on body contest. I was surprised at this as Jamie is a very good defensive player, having witnessed him towel up Nick Sauntner (VFL goal kicking legend) in a game for Werribee against Sandringham. Jamie appeared quite frustrated at his efforts and I expect him to take a fair bit out of this experience.

Next up is a game against the Hawks where we expect to see Firitto and McMahon back into the team, so this might see Jamie move up the ground a bit, playing off half back or the wing, where he is probably more suited to playing. I am hoping to get down to Geelong for that and if so will provide an update on Jamie's progress.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jamie had a bit of an up and down pre-season. Started well on the track and in the intra club, but his performances in the NAB Cup and Challenge games tapered off to ensure that he wasn't in contention for a berth in the first two games of the season. Jamie did not play the last challenge game against the Bulldogs despite appearing fit enough to do so.

In Werribee's last practice game before the season proper he left the field early in the first quarter with a knock, and dint return, but is named in the team to play Williamstown in round 1.

Wishing Jamie all the best for season 2011. He has all the attributes to make it at AFL level and hopefully he will get more time up the ground with the Tigers early in season 2011.

Also, a pre-emptive thanks to Benny Carbs for his reports on JMac as I won't be in a position to attend Werribee games myself, so will need to rely on Ben's excellent reports until JMac forces his way into the 22.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
VFL Round 1

Werribee vs Geelong

Jamie Macmillan played for Werribee's against Geelong on Sunday, which the Tigers won 9.19.73 to Geelong 6.10.46 .

Macmillan put in a much improved performance and was named best on ground, which must have hin in contention for a spot against Fremantle in round four.

Thanks to Benny Carbonaro:
34.MacMillan- was easily the best North Melbourne listed boys in Werribee colours today. Virtually blanketed the Geelong forwards and was superb with getting the ball out of the opposition's back line to teammates in space to run. Had 26 disposals and 7 marks.

Considering we have been having difficulty generating drive off the back line and breaking through the forward press, Macmillan's fitness, decision making and execution would be a welcome addition to the side.

Further feedback on Jamie's performance was provided by Werribee coach Paul Slattery:
Jamie Macmillan: "Jamie played across half-back, spending time on Geelong's Trent West who is significantly bigger and taller. Did a terrific job on him whilst also winning a lot of the ball and creating a lot of drive."
By the numbers: 26 possessions, 7 marks, 4 1%ers

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exaclty what we need. Another good runner with skills.

Has taken a vastly different path to Cunnington, Ziebell, and Atley - who all seem assured a game (not judging). Macmillan really had to tear up the magoos last year before he was played and I think we should be looking for oppurtuities to pump games into him.

Blokes like him and Bastinac will really see us improve in the coming months. Running out games and reducing turnovers.

Having built a tank over the pre-season he was my smokey for rising star and I could still see that happening if they play him off a wing. Showed against Melbourne he has great poise around the goals as well.

Looking forward to getting a good look at him today in the VFL, if he plays like he did last week then he can't be ignored for too long.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
VFL Round 3

Werribee vs. Collingwood

Werribee had a massive win against the Pies this weekend so the backline was not under as much pressure as it has been before. Jamie played deep and off the flank and provided nice drive. Benny C had this to say:

34.Macmilllan- back up from last week's best on ground performance with another solid game as part of Werribee's back six. Made receiving the ball cleanly hard for the Collingwood forwards as he continually propelled it out of defence. Had 21 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles and 2 spoils.

Macmillan looked cool and calm and hit is targets. Could, and in my opinion should, get a call up to the seniors for the game against Richmond.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
VFL Round 4

Werribee vs. North Ballarat

Werribee played North Ballarant on the weekend and Macmillan was matched up on North team mate Aaron Edwards. Playing a key position role is not necessarily Macmillans forte and he struggled in curtailing the marking power of Edwards who ended the game with four goals.

That said, Macmillan got a fiar bit of the ball himself and provided some rebound from defensive 50.

Ben Carbonaro
34.MacMillan- was matched up on Edwards and struggled in the cost for a lot of the game. Finished the game with 18 disposals, 10 marks and 2 spoils.
NMFC Website
Jamie Macmillan's poise and decision making in the backline is what makes him a tantalising young prospect. Matching up on Aaron Edwards on Saturday night, Macmillan had 18 touches and 10 marks.
With the senior team lacking in the poise and decision making department at the moment I would be very disaopointed if Macmillan did not get a game against PA in round 6. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I reckon that he should be playing seniors.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're not alone Groggy.

Back