Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a lot of potting of JMac but if Atley didn't s**t himself and bang it on the boot into the corridor where there were only bombers with less than a minute to go I think the vast majority of the negatives would have been glossed over had we got the points. We didn't play a particularly good brand of footy and the variance between our good and bad is still a bit too wide atm.

There were a lot of basic defensive blunders going on towards the end and there seemed to be a lack of leadership, it wasn't that long ago that we used to drill hard on how to run down the clock after a bad year a while ago where we kept losing close games, nothing from those exercises was implemented in terms of running down the clock and reduce the opportunity the opposition has to score. We kept giving it back. We lost a lot of stoppages in the last few minutes, we were very fortunate they just kept kicking it to Tarrant.

My main issue with playing Atley and Macmillan down back is they do not have a defender's mindset, when it is hot in the kitchen I have zero confidence in either of them doing the right thing defensively, it is a big risk having multiple weak links down back. I think after the great return we got from Atley as a half-forward last year, kind of disappointed we went back to the future and re-invented him as a mediocre defender who panics under pressure.

Going forward, JMac needs to be a lot better in one-on-one contests, however, I think the club was largely at fault rushing him in, he seemed to be underdone and needed more of a run in the VFL. It is not like players can't get better at defending, you just practice things over and over until you get better, skill improvement didn't seem to be a focus under Brad during his time, we will have to wait and see what the future coach does.

I think this week has seen this board in the most “violent” agreement in its history. I reckon the vast majority of us agree that JMac does not feature in our best 22. The disagreement seems to be around those who believe he should be hanged, drawn and quartered for appearing in the team, due to other players being injured and those who are more inclined to support him for his past efforts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only watched the game for the first time last night (not knowing the results, I'm overseas).

Macmillans did a few good things, but a few typical Jamie things as well.

That missed tackle leading to a Stringer open goal. Lol.

I don't normally react to what I see on screen but I let out a Seinfeldesque 'turnstiles!' when that happened.

Without even consciously thinking about it, the word just came out of my mouth.

Kinda scared me a little tbh.

But yeah anyway this guy is battling. Bigtime.

Has become a surplus requirement.

The more Shaw plays him, the more I think he’s not the man to take us forward.
Pretty ridiculous statement. I agree Macmillan shouldn’t be in the current side, but he brings a lot to the table in terms of leadership that Shaw, as a former defender himself, would value. He was the defensive coach for the first 10 rounds so he’d know more about the make up of the backline than the rest of us, and people forget he already kept Jamie in the VFL for a 2 game stint when Brad would have rushed him straight back in.

Like I said I don’t think he should be in the 22 and he certainly shouldn’t have been picked against * but let’s not hastily right Rhyce off as the senior coach just because of one selection, especially considering the impressive body of work he has shown since taking over.

Pretty ridiculous statement. I agree Macmillan shouldn’t be in the current side, but he brings a lot to the table in terms of leadership that Shaw, as a former defender himself, would value. He was the defensive coach for the first 10 rounds so he’d know more about the make up of the backline than the rest of us, and people forget he already kept Jamie in the VFL for a 2 game stint when Brad would have rushed him straight back in.

Like I said I don’t think he should be in the 22 and he certainly shouldn’t have been picked against * but let’s not hastily right Rhyce off as the senior coach just because of one selection, especially considering the impressive body of work he has shown since taking over.

I don't know Roo Beauty... He did decide to throw Hrovat in the mix for the very same game:think:

Kidding. I am very much pro- Shaw, but if makes both those selections this week, his out.

I don't know Roo Beauty... He did decide to throw Hrovat in the mix for the very same game:think:

Kidding. I am very much pro- Shaw, but if makes both those selections this week, his out.
I imagine Hrovat would be out for Wood and likely Ahern for LDU.

Package Thommo, Atley and JMac.......ship em all up to the Gold Coast.
Why those three ?? Well Thommo is linked to them now, Ats is going into business with Thommo after football and JMac is best mates with Ats.
simple

Package Thommo, Atley and JMac.......ship em all up to the Gold Coast.
Why those three ?? Well Thommo is linked to them now, Ats is going into business with Thommo after football and JMac is best mates with Ats.
simple

I'd throw in Zurhaar also because he has a pr0n mustache, and Cunnington because he is bald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keen to see how he goes this week against opposition that will definitely expose a lot of the things he should be working on.

Mostly interested in his disposal. I'd like to see what the heatmap says about him as well.

Also would not be surprised if Shaw trials him on the wing. Jmac is a reliable kick usually when he has room to move.

If he runs forward for a goal or two, that would be a very good indication of his progress.

Needs to play the game that breaks the trend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back