Player Watch #34 Jordan Dawson - the next great Swans mid

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
If they’re not playing the same position, they’re not playing under the same conditions. It’s like claiming Jake Lloyd finds it easy to find the pill in D50 but Papley struggles to get 30 touches in F50. Different positions, different difficulty, different result.

I get what you’re trying to say about Reid and I understand you hate him; but you’ve still got to keep some level of sanity about player comparisons.
You seem to think I'm taking the emotional route here with my views on this subject when in actuality I'm taking the very opposite. I'm looking at it very logically here.

Dawson may be a good inside mid and good around contested footy, but make no mistake, he's in this team right now on the back of his overhead and contested marking both down the line as a lead-up target, and inside 50 as a goal-kicker. They are also the two things which Reid is in the team for (or so I've been told by all of his defenders constantly.)

They have differences, yes, but they also have a LOT of similarities which puts them in the same basket if the time comes where the match committee need to sacrifice a marking target to fit Menzel in, or a taller player to fit Buddy in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungwahl

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
You seem to think I'm taking the emotional route here with my views on this subject when in actuality I'm taking the very opposite. I'm looking at it very logically here.

Dawson may be a good inside mid and good around contested footy, but make no mistake, he's in this team right now on the back of his overhead and contested marking both down the line as a lead-up target, and inside 50 as a goal-kicker. They are also the two things which Reid is in the team for (or so I've been told by all of his defenders constantly.)

They have differences, yes, but they also have a LOT of similarities which puts them in the same basket if the time comes where the match committee need to sacrifice a marking target to fit Menzel in, or a taller player to fit Buddy in.
NOW you’re starting to talk logically.. if we start talking about adding Buddy + Menzel to this team, then yes we absolutely ask questions about how Reid fits in.

The line will likely be drawn between Reid and McCartin. Can’t see Dawson being involved in that discussion at all, regardless of his ability to mark the ball.

Mick Oxlong

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
NOW you’re starting to talk logically.. if we start talking about adding Buddy + Menzel to this team, then yes we absolutely ask questions about how Reid fits in.

The line will likely be drawn between Reid and McCartin. Can’t see Dawson being involved in that discussion at all, regardless of his ability to mark the ball.
Cameron went down today so we don’t have a back up ruck. Reid will stay for Sinclair chop out imo. McCartin would likely be the unlucky one. Menzel would replace Jack

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney

I've been talking logically all along! Do you honestly, sincerely believe that even if Buddy & Menzel were coming back into the team, that Horse would ever drop Reid?

Because I don't. That limits the options of who to cut down to the youngsters: Blakey, McCartin and Dawson. Are they all exactly the same types of players? No. But they are currently all bringing very similar qualities to the team (Maybe with the exception of Blakey who has some athleticism around the ground). I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that's what I think will happen. Dawson will be looked at as a potential tall who could be swung out to make way for the two more experienced forwards who can take marks and kick goals.

Kapanis

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney

Are you the poster that explained our game plan last year in technical terms?

Superstar swan

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Dawson is the the total package. Capable of playing inside and out. Great mark and can kick a goal. Nees to develop consistancy now...also needs to sign an extension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom