Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from Franklin he would actually go close to our best kick in the side.

When he was drafted he was known for his left foot, especially around the goals.

He's played two games. The first of which he was rarely sighted and the second of which I felt he was rushed (as all Swans were.) His only really noticeable kick of his career thus far is the goal he kicked on Friday night, which was a beauty and I enjoyed seeing him back himself.

But I would happily take Cunningham, Florent, McVeigh, Aliir, Lloyd or Buddy instead

He's played two games. The first of which he was rarely sighted and the second of which I felt he was rushed (as all Swans were.) His only really noticeable kick of his career thus far is the goal he kicked on Friday night, which was a beauty and I enjoyed seeing him back himself.

But I would happily take Cunningham, Florent, McVeigh, Aliir, Lloyd or Buddy instead
Aliir isnt a good kick,he has just smartened up. He has become a reliable kick but that is purely by knowing his limitations,it isnt a bad thing but i wouldnt exactly call his kick a weapon

Aliir isnt a good kick,he has just smartened up. He has become a reliable kick but that is purely by knowing his limitations,it isnt a bad thing but i wouldnt exactly call his kick a weapon

I'd rather not get into the "kick is a weapon" debate again. It's the most ludicrous topic that comes up on here and a total myth IMO.

But each to their own

I'd rather not get into the "kick is a weapon" debate again. It's the most ludicrous topic that comes up on here and a total myth IMO.

But each to their own

For Aliir? Or in general?

How dangerous a player is by foot is a huge part at what some recruiters look at for the draft.

There have been players before I know for a fact were not considered by teams because they would get a bunch of stats but go short, sideways and backwards with every touch. On the flipside, guys who otherwise would not get a look at due to athleticism or toughness etc will at least get a look in if they are a damaging or creative kick of the football.

Playing games doesn't necessarily reflect in any fashion on his ability to kick the ball. I think I get what you're saying, in that until he has shown himself to be a good local under AFL pressure then it doesn't count (?) But as far as his ability to kick the ball I would agree he is one of, if not the, best in the team. I remember his first appearance for the Swans in a pre-sale game where hekocked a goal from about 70 off a step in the wet. Was pretty incredible.

How dangerous a player is by foot is a huge part at what some recruiters look at for the draft.

There have been players before I know for a fact were not considered by teams because they would get a bunch of stats but go short, sideways and backwards with every touch. On the flipside, guys who otherwise would not get a look at due to athleticism or toughness etc will at least get a look in if they are a damaging or creative kick of the football.

Fun fact: The ball can travel faster than any player can.

Just because someone hasn't played many games it doesn't mean they aren't a good kick of the football.

One of the major reasons Dawson was drafted was because of his ability to dispose of the ball and I find it unlikely that this has completely disappeared over a few years. (We also don't have many "elite" kicks of the ball).

I admit I am currently basing my opinion off youth football though, maybe one of our regular reserves watchers can elaborate? grimlock ?

Yes I know that, but to say someone is not a good kick just because they can't spear it 45m is absolutely ridiculous and basically puts players like Ricciuto, GAJ, Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell etc all in that category, which is hilarious.

Playing games doesn't necessarily reflect in any fashion on his ability to kick the ball. I think I get what you're saying, in that until he has shown himself to be a good local under AFL pressure then it doesn't count (?) But as far as his ability to kick the ball I would agree he is one of, if not the, best in the team. I remember his first appearance for the Swans in a pre-sale game where hekocked a goal from about 70 off a step in the wet. Was pretty incredible.

Then let's wait and see if he can do it at senior level but I'm not getting excited about him and calling him one of the best kicks in the team on the back of two AFL games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then let's wait and see if he can do it at senior level but I'm not getting excited about him and calling him one of the best kicks in the team on the back of two AFL games.
I just don't understand the reluctance to recognise him as a good kick though. It's fine not to get excited, but if he was 220cm tall in the reserves would you also be unwilling to agree he was very tall until he had been very tall regularly in AFL games? I do agree that just being a good kick doesn't guarantee he will be any good at AFL level as a player, but it won't hurt either.

I just don't understand the reluctance to recognise him as a good kick though. It's fine not to get excited, but if he was 220cm tall in the reserves would you also be unwilling to agree he was very tall until he had been very tall regularly in AFL games? I do agree that just being a good kick doesn't guarantee he will be any good at AFL level as a player, but it won't hurt either.

I never said he wasn't a good kick, my original point was that it was just an exaggeration to say he's the best kick in our side on the back of the bare minimum at senior level

Showed some real signs of being a classy role player for now. Don't how good he could be overall but he has stuff going on.

Both had been injured, played a block of footy in the NEAFL until they hit form and fitness, and then have been selected...?

Felt like they were suggested for weeks

LOL, need to post less

Looking better each week

Be good to see him get a crack in the midfield

He is a lot bigger than I first thought

Playing as mid in time he could drag smaller opponents forward and use his size , much like roughy used to do

In time I hope
He is big , very happy with a new gun 34.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back