Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

We want this guy kicking the ball, so he is on the outside for mine. As Punts said winger getting up and down the ground all day thanks. Has a strong work rate.

Don’t want him inside the stoppage, he could still be good there but it would limit his kicking which (along with marking) is his strength.

We want this guy kicking the ball, so he is on the outside for mine. As Punts said winger getting up and down the ground all day thanks. Has a strong work rate.

Don’t want him inside the stoppage, he could still be good there but it would limit his kicking which (along with marking) is his strength.

You make some very good points.

Either way there is a reason why so many of us jumped on the Dawson bandwagon almost immediately. He is such a good kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well isn't he? Tall marking target who can go inside 50 and also up the line, and also kick goals?

Absolutely not competing for spots. Dawson is more suited to inside mid, but given the current set up and nature of the modern game, his best spot seems to be between wing to half forward.

Reid is a CHF. Not a ruck, not a winger, not a back.. Given our current set up, both hold their spots quite comfortably.

Stoked to see Dawson progressing out of the danger zone where he was a week to week prospect. Think he’s a lock now, for the rest of this year at least.

A quantum upgrade on Grohan.

The two jellyback SA teams will be chasing Dawson, Haywood and George. It is imperative we keep all three.

When I was a kid and most players played in their fixed position, some sides had a "utility" who could play a number of positions. Dawson is in that old fashioned mould.

Personally I would like to see him in the centre square using his smarts and throwing his weight around. Doesn't matter, I think we are all enjoying the ride.

Completely different style of player so the comparison is pointless.

Rohan struggled at times in our setup, looks ok outside of it.

Dawson is starting to look like he might have the goods to be a long term player at the top level. Huge positive for Sydney.

Absolutely not competing for spots. Dawson is more suited to inside mid, but given the current set up and nature of the modern game, his best spot seems to be between wing to half forward.

Reid is a CHF. Not a ruck, not a winger, not a back.. Given our current set up, both hold their spots quite comfortably.

Stoked to see Dawson progressing out of the danger zone where he was a week to week prospect. Think he’s a lock now, for the rest of this year at least.

Oh my bad.

See I was told all off-season how Reid was so important to our structures because he was the marking target who leads up when we go down the line (ie the wing). But I guess Dawson is doing that now.

But I guess that's not Reid's role. He's a CHF as you say. So he is a goal-kicker, with 7 goals. Can you guess how many Dawson has kicked?

Maybe Reid's not meant to kick goals though, maybe he's there to take marks. He is averaging 4.4. Better than Dawson the inside mid, who is averaging 5.9.

So when our "inside mid" is literally doing everything I've been told Reid is supposed to do, forgive me for thinking they are kinda going for the same spot in the team.

Oh my bad.

See I was told all off-season how Reid was so important to our structures because he was the marking target who leads up when we go down the line (ie the wing). But I guess Dawson is doing that now.

But I guess that's not Reid's role. He's a CHF as you say. So he is a goal-kicker, with 7 goals. Can you guess how many Dawson has kicked?

Maybe Reid's not meant to kick goals though, maybe he's there to take marks. He is averaging 4.4. Better than Dawson the inside mid, who is averaging 5.9.

So when our "inside mid" is literally doing everything I've been told Reid is supposed to do, forgive me for thinking they are kinda going for the same spot in the team.

Gross sarcasm aside..

It’s entirely possible for a side to have more than one marking target. Some may even call it beneficial.

Gross sarcasm aside..

It’s entirely possible for a side to have more than one marking target. Some may even call it beneficial.

Yeah, and we do. Heeney, Parker, Dawson, McCartin, Blakey, Sinclair are all marking targets coming out of defence and/or going inside 50.

Oh my bad.

Actually no, I need to address this I guess..

This is the type of typical media-style stats focus that dumbfounds most footy fans.

Reid is playing CHF/FF at the moment. Dawson is playing on a wing. Reid is attempting his marks whilst being double teamed or from within a pack. Dawson regularly gets a 1v1 marking opportunity. It’s just a ludicrous comparison.

If Dawson had slotted in at full forward and out pointed Reid then I’d back your argument. But different positions, different situations, different stats, different players.

But seriously, imagine thinking a team needs one marking target only.

Yeah, and we do. Heeney, Parker, Dawson, McCartin, Blakey, Sinclair are all marking targets coming out of defence and/or going inside 50.

McCartin is the one from that list who potentially pushes for Reid’s spot.

The rest are totally different players. None of which are genuine contested mark outlets when coming out of defence.

Btw, I should point out I am Dawson’s biggest fan. Just find the argument that he is competing for Reid’s spot to be ridiculous.

Actually no, I need to address this I guess..

This is the type of typical media-style stats focus that dumbfounds most footy fans.

Reid is playing CHF/FF at the moment. Dawson is playing on a wing. Reid is attempting his marks whilst being double teamed or from within a pack. Dawson regularly gets a 1v1 marking opportunity. It’s just a ludicrous comparison.

If Dawson had slotted in at full forward and out pointed Reid then I’d back your argument. But different positions, different situations, different stats, different players.

But seriously, imagine thinking a team needs one marking target only.

I don't know what game you are seeing, but I saw Dawson and McCartin both take contested marks in packs last night up the ground and inside 50. I saw Reid take one inside 50 which resulted in his goal. That's what makes these youngsters so impressive. If they were just standing above their direct opponent taking a mark, that'd be nice and all, but it wouldn't have us raving like we are. We're raving because they're showing supreme confidence, strength and skills in packs, which we've lacked for quite a while.

It's all part of a familiar story. A younger, more inexperienced player comes in and does all the things the young, promising Sam Reid will one day do if he can just get a fair crack at consistent footy. If not Dawson, it's McCartin. If not McCartin, it's XR.

And they may not be the same exact positions, but they are in the side for the same reasons, which means they are competing for spots. If Menzel or Buddy come in, we can't have too many talls. So it will then be down to which of the taller, marking targets needs to make room for them. McCartin will feature in that conversation, so will Blakey. But you can bet your life that Reid and Dawson will also be part of it, which means that yes, ultimately, they are competing for spots. All the talls are, and last night Reid got over-taken by all of them.

I don't know what game you are seeing, but I saw Dawson and McCartin both take contested marks in packs last night up the ground and inside 50. I saw Reid take one inside 50 which resulted in his goal. That's what makes these youngsters so impressive. If they were just standing above their direct opponent taking a mark, that'd be nice and all, but it wouldn't have us raving like we are. We're raving because they're showing supreme confidence, strength and skills in packs, which we've lacked for quite a while.

It's all part of a familiar story. A younger, more inexperienced player comes in and does all the things the young, promising Sam Reid will one day do if he can just get a fair crack at consistent footy. If not Dawson, it's McCartin. If not McCartin, it's XR.

And they may not be the same exact positions, but they are in the side for the same reasons, which means they are competing for spots. If Menzel or Buddy come in, we can't have too many talls. So it will then be down to which of the taller, marking targets needs to make room for them. McCartin will feature in that conversation, so will Blakey. But you can bet your life that Reid and Dawson will also be part of it, which means that yes, ultimately, they are competing for spots. All the talls are, and last night Reid got over-taken by all of them.

If they’re not playing the same position, they’re not playing under the same conditions. It’s like claiming Jake Lloyd finds it easy to find the pill in D50 but Papley struggles to get 30 touches in F50. Different positions, different difficulty, different result.

I get what you’re trying to say about Reid and I understand you hate him; but you’ve still got to keep some level of sanity about player comparisons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back