Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

Dawson has weapons. He is a raking left-foot kick. Not many players at 192cm can cover the ground as well as he can, while those with his endurance generally do not have his size. But talent is one thing, application another.

This was a lesson Dawson learned at the end of 2017 when he reported back for preseason "a bit unfit".

"My skinnies [skinfolds] were a bit higher than they should have been," Dawson admits.

Players are given programs during their break to ensure they come back ready for the summer slog. Dawson, however, thought he would be "able to rock up and it will happen".

"I didn't follow it to the level it should have been done," he says.

Being 1.5kg overweight is no big deal for most of us, but the margins are fine in the AFL.

The coaches were not happy and let him know about it. They did not give him a blast, which in some ways made Dawson feel worse.

"It wasn't a spray, more a heart to heart," Dawson says. "They said I was a bit behind the pack and I had to catch up." It cost him. "I got injured a few weeks in," Dawson says. "That proved if you're not going to do the work you'll get caught out. That was a wake-up call."

Another injury early in the season wiped out the first half of 2018

But yeah Horse should be the one making an apology for being unfit and getting injured:rolleyes:

Good on Dawson for getting himself where he needed to be. I think that attitude he may have had off the field carried through to his performances on the field, as even as recent as last year I wasn’t convinced he was giving 100% when his opportunities were there. Very glad those doubts are being erased this year.

Good on Dawson for getting himself where he needed to be. I think that attitude he may have had off the field carried through to his performances on the field, as even as recent as last year I wasn’t convinced he was giving 100% when his opportunities were there. Very glad those doubts are being erased this year.

Think he is gawn. Yet another where faith and recognition of performance was not shown.

Think he is gawn. Yet another where faith and recognition of performance was not shown.

I spent longer than I should have trying to figure out how Jordan Dawson was even remotely similar to Max Gawn, before I realised...

FWIW as talented as he is, I was as unconvinced as Horse prior to this year. If he’s not applying himself enough, and then turning in underwhelming performances when given the opportunity, I can’t think of any coach in the country that would handle him any differently.

I spent longer than I should have trying to figure out how Jordan Dawson was even remotely similar to Max Gawn, before I realised...

FWIW as talented as he is, I was as unconvinced as Horse prior to this year. If he’s not applying himself enough, and then turning in underwhelming performances when given the opportunity, I can’t think of any coach in the country that would handle him any differently.

Rubbish C88. We are about to lose yet another talented player because of Longmire hubris.

Rubbish C88. We are about to lose yet another talented player because of Longmire hubris.

If he chooses to leave because of decisions made over a year ago due to his own lack of fitness and performance, then I’d say good riddance.

As it so happens, I don’t think Dawson is of that character. He’s now firmly in the best 22, and a possible finisher in the top 10 of the Skilton this year, joined by other impressive youngsters like Papley, Florent and Heeney. He could be part of something very exciting at our club if he chooses to stay.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
If he chooses to leave because of decisions made over a year ago due to his own lack of fitness and performance, then I’d say good riddance.

As it so happens, I don’t think Dawson is of that character. He’s now firmly in the best 22, and a possible finisher in the top 10 of the Skilton this year, joined by other impressive youngsters like Papley, Florent and Heeney. He could be part of something very exciting at our club if he chooses to stay.

Plus there has been NO talk of him leaving the club or holding talks with any other clubs like there was with Mitchell. The only report there has been is of him re-signing with us on a long term deal that was made public yesterday.

Poised to sign a new multi-year deal after a breakout start to 2019. After a number of soft-tissue injuries limited him to five matches in his first three years at the Swans, the left-footer has nailed down his spot in the best 22. Averaging 18.3 disposals from 12 games this year, the 22-year-old has been identified as one of the Swans' better ball users.

But I guess his own words and actual media reports is tosh when compared to ones opinion

Hard to shine when asked to play forward pocket with Franklin and ors and maybe never played there either.

Who, Dawson?

I wouldn’t say he’s been in the forward pocket. If anything I think he’s been given some license to just be an impact player between the arcs. His overhead marking both at half forward and at half back has been his stand-out quality.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Hard to shine when asked to play forward pocket with Franklin and ors and maybe never played there either.

To add to Caesar’s point, given he was drafted as a medium forward, I think it’s fair to say he has played there before...

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
To add to Caesar’s point, given he was drafted as a medium forward, I think it’s fair to say he has played there before...
Maybe both are fair but first few games he barely got to toich the ball due his position and role.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back