Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope they keep him playing the role he has of late.

Much similar to the Malceski role , that interception with setting up plays of HB with there kicking abilities.
They seem to look for him much like they did with Mal to distribute.

Imo he has huge up side and we talk about Heeney and that more it seems

Just sayin! :p

Spot on mate imo

Geebers TheMase, you have a frightening memory!!! Poor Kirky. I expect she would withdraw her comment, but then again we are all geniacs with the benefit of hindsight.

Geebers TheMase, you have a frightening memory!!! Poor Kirky. I expect she would withdraw her comment, but then again we are all geniacs with the benefit of hindsight.

Haha we are indeed.

I am pretty sure I posted about it last year too, probably in the reserves thread. Just has the right skill set for the job.

Love Dawson. Beautiful to have a player we can have this debate about. The kind of guy that can be swung forward to have an impact when other things are not working and otherwise run between half back and wing and bring others into the game.

Haha we are indeed.

I am pretty sure I posted about it last year too, probably in the reserves thread. Just has the right skill set for the job.

Love Dawson. Beautiful to have a player we can have this debate about. The kind of guy that can be swung forward to have an impact when other things are not working and otherwise run between half back and wing and bring others into the game.

That’s the big point here

He is so good we can debate where he can best star

Dawson on one wing and Blakey on the other, alternating who pushes forward or into defensive 50 would give opposition coaches nightmares.

wow... they would become the tallest pair of wingers in history methinks.

wow... they would become the tallest pair of wingers in history methinks.

I think the days of the wingman being purely a bloke with blistering pace are kinda over. It can be just as effective now days to have anyone with good decision-making and/or skills on the outside, regardless of size. Let them roam and intercept down the line, or use their foot skills to transition the ball instead of a smaller bloke running and carrying.

They would both be incredibly dangerous if given the time and space on the outside. Not sure I rate Dawson inside so it would be a similar case to Heeney in the guts, where you have to wonder if you're best using a player's assets.

What makes you think he would be a good midfielder?

His strengths - overhead marking, reading of the play, long left foot

His weaknesses - lack of awareness in tight, average handball, slow

He is literally made to play on the arcs, which he has shown at times this year. Nothing about him screams playing him in the guts
He played mids in the reserves and literally controlled games. He was prolific and went forward often to take big marks and kick multiple goals. He is super dangerous no matter where he plays because he has game awareness

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played mids in the reserves and literally controlled games. He was prolific and went forward often to take big marks and kick multiple goals. He is super dangerous no matter where he plays because he has game awareness

If you think so. I just don't see it personally.

His strengths to me are his overhead marking, his reading of the play and his damaging left boot. (ie perfect attributes for someone playing on a flank or wing)

His weaknesses to me are his composure and awareness in traffic, and he's not blessed with pace. (ie costly flaws for a player in a stoppage or contested situation)

That's not me knocking him, but the calls to throw him in the guts make about as much sense to me as if someone said Nick Smith should be a small forward, Ollie Florent should be a small defender, and Buddy Franklin should be an intercepting defender.

His strengths to me are his overhead marking, his reading of the play and his damaging left boot. (ie perfect attributes for someone playing on a flank or wing)

His weaknesses to me are his composure and awareness in traffic, and he's not blessed with pace. (ie costly flaws for a player in a stoppage or contested situation)

That's not me knocking him, but the calls to throw him in the guts make about as much sense to me as if someone said Nick Smith should be a small forward, Ollie Florent should be a small defender, and Buddy Franklin should be an intercepting defender.
I don't just think he controlled games from the midfield. I bloody know he did. There is good video evidence that says he did and the stats match up. He can still take big marks at crucial times from the mids if Horse chooses to play him there. What's more his delivery skills will be even more showcased. He can get ball, handball and get ball back and kick ball to a leading player. Ever heard of that move? Probably not. Even though the one two is one of the oldest in footy.

Sure he can play back, wing or forward. But if he is in the play all the time he is going to hurt the opposition 300%. By the way you obviously don't watch the reserves.

Oh and another thing he has great awareness in traffic. Did you see the goal where he just waltzed around three players? Probably forgot that one. There are so many examples of him in traffic controlling play. You must be effing blind mate. Get a guide dog

Oh and another thing he has great awareness in traffic. Did you see the goal where he just waltzed around three players? Probably forgot that one. There are so many examples of him in traffic controlling play. You must be effing blind mate. Get a guide dog

A bit harsh there but must say labradors make great pets.

I don't just think he controlled games from the midfield. I bloody know he did. There is good video evidence that says he did and the stats match up. He can still take big marks at crucial times from the mids if Horse chooses to play him there. What's more his delivery skills will be even more showcased. He can get ball, handball and get ball back and kick ball to a leading player. Ever heard of that move? Probably not. Even though the one two is one of the oldest in footy.

Sure he can play back, wing or forward. But if he is in the play all the time he is going to hurt the opposition 300%. By the way you obviously don't watch the reserves.

Wolfie, these days the old "one two" has been renamed the "give 'n get". Other commentator friendly euphemisms include "get 'n go" for playing on after receiving the ball while the Swans' much loved "up and under" style of kicking inside 50 is rephrased as a "kick in hope" or, somewhat more optimistically, as "sitting it up for the forwards to get a jump at it".

All forms of loss whether due to poor form, injuries, lazy play, inaccuracy, lack of skill, crowd noise, rain, mud, uneven surface, superior opposition, broken legs, tragic accidents, poor umpiring, the SCG catching fire or an outbreak of smallpox are collectively covered by the common adjective "unSwanslike". This adjective can only be used to describe a Swans performance. It cannot be used, for instance, as "This ice-cream is unSwanslike", "The sex was OK but your foreplay was unSwanslike" or "Doctor I have this unSwanslike lump in my left testicle.

ie, Match Press conference. Swans lose by two points to Hawks after Papley misses a shot after the siren from the goal square, directly in front.

Interviewer : "Do you think it was Kenny streaking that cost you the game ?"

Horse : "A loss is a loss

Interviewer "But he danced naked between the goal posts as Papley took his shot"

Horse : "Bad kicking is bad football"

Interviewer : "What about at half time when a plane crashed into the SCG turf, killing 17 of your players. Don't you think that affected the outcome ?

Horse : "We should have been quicker to adapt"

Interviewer : "Huh ? Adapt to the burning jet fuel, explosions and hot pieces of fuselage hurtling through the air, decapitating players and fans alike ?"

Horse : "You make your own luck"

Interviewer : "Do you regret you were the only team out of the rooms when the plane crashed.

Horse : "Swings and roundabouts. Both teams had chances"

Interviewer : "So what do you blame the loss on ?"

Horse : "We were unSwanslike"

Epitaph on Jordan Dawson's gravestone :

RIP Jordan Dawson

Born Robe South Australia April 9, 1997
Died Sydney NSW June 28, 2022 ,aged 25.

AFL player, All Australian, Brownlow Medallist.
Dual Premiership Player. Sydney Swans best and fairest, 2020, 2021.

Here lies Jordan
still remembered
how could we forget

Played unSwanslike
got dismembered
by a QANTAS jet

Wolfie, these days the old "one two" has been renamed the "give 'n get". Other commentator friendly euphemisms include "get 'n go" for playing on after receiving the ball while the Swans' much loved "up and under" style of kicking inside 50 is rephrased as a "kick in hope" or, somewhat more optimistically, as "sitting it up for the forwards to get a jump at it".

All forms of loss whether due to poor form, injuries, lazy play, inaccuracy, lack of skill, crowd noise, rain, mud, uneven surface, superior opposition, broken legs, tragic accidents, poor umpiring, the SCG catching fire or an outbreak of smallpox are collectively covered by the common adjective "unSwanslike". This adjective can only be used to describe a Swans performance. It cannot be used, for instance, as "This ice-cream is unSwanslike", "The sex was OK but your foreplay was unSwanslike" or "Doctor I have this unSwanslike lump in my left testicle.

ie, Match Press conference. Swans lose by two points to Hawks after Papley misses a shot after the siren from the goal square, directly in front.

Interviewer : "Do you think it was Kenny streaking that cost you the game ?"

Horse : "A loss is a loss

Interviewer "But he danced naked between the goal posts as Papley took his shot"

Horse : "Bad kicking is bad football"

Interviewer : "What about at half time when a plane crashed into the SCG turf, killing 17 of your players. Don't you think that affected the outcome ?

Horse : "We should have been quicker to adapt"

Interviewer : "Huh ? Adapt to the burning jet fuel, explosions and hot pieces of fuselage hurtling through the air, decapitating players and fans alike ?"

Horse : "You make your own luck"

Interviewer : "Do you regret you were the only team out of the rooms when the plane crashed.

Horse : "Swings and roundabouts. Both teams had chances"

Interviewer : "So what do you blame the loss on ?"

Horse : "We were unSwanslike"

Epitaph on Jordan Dawson's gravestone :

RIP Jordan Dawson

Born Robe South Australia April 9, 1997
Died Sydney NSW June 28, 2022 ,aged 25.

AFL player, All Australian, Brownlow Medallist.
Dual Premiership Player. Sydney Swans best and fairest, 2020, 2021.

Here lies Jordan
still remembered
how could we forget

Played unSwanslike
got dismembered
by a QANTAS jet
:thumbsu: :thumbsu::thumbsu: GOLD :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Cheers Jewels. I only added Dawson's epitaph when I realised I'd written an essay entirely off topic and was leaving myself open to a shirt-front from Bedford.

Someone's got to keep up the spirit during the off season. It's a lot longer than we're used to. I can't wait for trading drafting and getting the team back, fit and training the house down. Every preseason I fall for the same star studded optimism, knowing full well that the media are pumping the tyres of every club and we can't all have a team of superstars and the best season in years. I suppose we have the advantage of starting from a low base for a change. Maybe the glass half empty types will be a bit chirpier this year.

Maybe the glass half empty types will be a bit chirpier this year.

I want every one of us to be glass overflowing types next year.

Just taking a moment to gush about Jordan. First full season he finishes top 10 in the B&F, equal 2nd in our POTY, announced himself as one of the best kicks in the league, played every position at one point or another, and signed a 2 year extension.

Some of us had high hopes and boy did he deliver.

snpjMFzh.jpg

Jordan Dawson

Player Profile

Jordan Dawson is looking to build on a breakthrough 2019 campaign, which saw the South Australian play 20 senior games and impact all over the ground on his way to winning the Sydney Swans’ Most Improved award. The 2015 draftee can play as a forward and midfielder but is at his most influential in defence. Dawson’s pinpoint disposal out of the backline, brilliant reading of the play, strong one-on-one defending and tireless work ethic make him a vital member of Sydney’s back six. Draft history: 2015 National AFL Draft (Sydney) No. 56 overall.

Jordan Dawson

DOB: 09 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: 2015
RECRUITED FROM: Robe (SA)/Sturt (SANFL)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back