Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's put on 15kg since we drafted him.

I get ya, Goldie, but in the top 10 you just take the best player. We need another gun mid as well.

Walker was a NSW scholarship player that Adelaide could take with its last pick, like Witts at Scumwood. It was a short-lived scheme/scam that of course we did not take advantage of.

15kegs since we drafted him???
What was he back then...a Biafra weighing 35kgs wringing wet?

In that case he needs another 15kgs...then we are talking

THE real tragedy is we'll have both McBean, who is not up to it and will be delisted, and Vickery, who is sure to be traded or leave via free agency, both heading out the door at the one time. That my yellow and black friends is atrocious list management, as it leaves our key forward stocks as such: Riewoldt. JK; Griffiths; rookies x 2 Moore. C and Chol.
Only at Tigerland could there be such a buzz around rookie forwards like Chol and Callum Moore.
I'll give you the tip, look around the league at the premier forwards and most have one thing in common. They were all PREDOMINANTLY first round or very early second round picks or academy picks. Riewoldt x 2, Franklin, Pavlich, Cameron, Patton, Wright, Petrie, Roughhead, Stringer, Walker. J. Kennedy, T. Lynch, Hogan, Gunston, Dixon and Watts (can't believe seven years in I am including that name). There's the odd father-son (Hawkins and Cloke), but the cream of the crop[ come in round one or early round two.
Josh Jenkins is the only one I can think of who came through the rookie draft.
Yet we have people here thinking the likes of Moore and Chol will lead us to the promised land. If they were any god they'd be first round or early second round picks like those mentioned.
It's why we need to draft either a tall forward or tall defender first up with pick 5 or 6.

The real tragedy is that Richardson signed Elton through 2017. Now THATS a tragedy !!!!

The real tragedy is that Richardson signed Elton through 2017. Now THATS a tragedy !!!!
Yes, but our woeful development of key backs and forwards combined by our negligence in addressing the key positions in the draft meanswe have to keep a few of these under-performing types for another year or even two, as we are bereft of options.
I wonder if Hardwick or Richardson ever sit down and ask the question: What if Rance or Riewoldt goes down with an injury???

Softwick you suck. At the end of the day mcbeans job is to kick goals you said. He kicked a bag on the weekend and set up even more. Dunstall or locket wouldn't have kicked any against the hawks cos of your sh#£ game plan. Everytime it got near our forward line the bean had 2 or 3 opponents cos your snail game plan is a fooken disgrace. I hope after we sh#£ can you you never get a job as a coach in any form of the game. Back to h & r block for you you flog. I hope the bean walks to the bombers and kicks a bag against us every time. You've been shafting him for years and playing chol and Chaplin up fwd in the preseason not even giving him1 minute game time proved you had his papers stamped just like with dea. You played king and Morris up fwd when they were completely useless we'll never know if mcdonaugh could've made it or Lennon could be full of experience by now but no your a flog and hope that money yyour stealing from our club brings you misfortune and bad luck

Softwick you suck. At the end of the day mcbeans job is to kick goals you said. He kicked a bag on the weekend and set up even more. Dunstall or locket wouldn't have kicked any against the hawks cos of your sh#£ game plan. Everytime it got near our forward line the bean had 2 or 3 opponents cos your snail game plan is a fooken disgrace. I hope after we sh#£ can you you never get a job as a coach in any form of the game. Back to h & r block for you you flog. I hope the bean walks to the bombers and kicks a bag against us every time. You've been shafting him for years and playing chol and Chaplin up fwd in the preseason not even giving him1 minute game time proved you had his papers stamped just like with dea. You played king and Morris up fwd when they were completely useless we'll never know if mcdonaugh could've made it or Lennon could be full of experience by now but no your a flog and hope that money yyour stealing from our club brings you misfortune and bad luck

tl;dr :$

Lol welcome McBean's dad to bigfooty!

I actually don't disagree with richoplzbreed, well not all of it.

Was at the Hawks game and had a close eye on Liam, he was mostly outnumbered. Was good to see his repeat efforts though, the determination is certainly there.

Lol welcome McBean's dad to bigfooty!
Not at all. Unlike most of the flogs on here I can see the blatant favourtism from softwick. He's pumped games into sychophants like morris, chaplin, newman in his last couple of years, the push up queen, Taylor hunt and refused to drop b Ellis and Vickery should've been dropped dozens of times. Blokes like tuck, ohanlon, dea, Arnott, mcdonaugh, mcbean, Morton, Lennon have been shafted unfairly getting axed for one bad game or not getting rewarded for reserves form. Half the ignorant flogs on here thought richo was ordinary until his last couple of years when the media told them it was undeniable how brilliant he was. They're the same flogs who have elevated cotchin to mythical status when in reality he's an above average player who's gettin way too much money he's got no spine and needs bodyguards and the only thing he's elite at is cheap one twos and being a nerd. Just cos he wants to be a leader he's clearly proven he's not a leaders azz

Oh and lets not forget miles had to get a dozen near bog's in his first year til he got a game. Each time Morris got dropped he still couldn't get a kick in a street fight yet straight back in. No favourites at punt rd. Dreaming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem this week was that the 'Colossus from Coleraine' Vickery played his first game in weeks (vCollingwood) that actually commanded selection the next week. You can't expect Dumbwck to drop Vickery when he plays a decent game, when he does it once in 15 bad games. Vickery earned his psot this week. That said, he'll likely play a shocker this week and still be picked next week.

He's unlucky, was benched for the first 10mins of each quarter in games where we mostly played our slow style. Still managed 12 pos's 6 marks and multiple assists vs Essendon in only %65 gametime.
Is a smart player with flaws that needs to be used a certain way, but we seem determined to make him fail, where someone like Vickery gets a forward line structure based around his strengths.

His papers were stamped along time ago.

He's unlucky, was benched for the first 10mins of each quarter in games where we mostly played our slow style. Still managed 12 pos's 6 marks and multiple assists vs Essendon in only %65 gametime.
Is a smart player with flaws that needs to be used a certain way, but we seem determined to make him fail, where someone like Vickery gets a forward line structure based around his strengths.

His papers were stamped along time ago.
Agree, the bench time did not help.

Not at all. Unlike most of the flogs on here I can see the blatant favourtism from softwick. He's pumped games into sychophants like morris, chaplin, newman in his last couple of years, the push up queen, Taylor hunt and refused to drop b Ellis and Vickery should've been dropped dozens of times. Blokes like tuck, ohanlon, dea, Arnott, mcdonaugh, mcbean, Morton, Lennon have been shafted unfairly getting axed for one bad game or not getting rewarded for reserves form. Half the ignorant flogs on here thought richo was ordinary until his last couple of years when the media told them it was undeniable how brilliant he was. They're the same flogs who have elevated cotchin to mythical status when in reality he's an above average player who's gettin way too much money he's got no spine and needs bodyguards and the only thing he's elite at is cheap one twos and being a nerd. Just cos he wants to be a leader he's clearly proven he's not a leaders azz
Ok?
Have you seen McBean play? He's not up to it. Nowhere near athletic enough for his height and stature.
It's not about favouritism. He's just not that good mate. He'll get delisted and I doubt he'll get picked up by another club. Do all coaches play favourites or just Dimma? Are they all just poor at evaluating talent or is he just not that good?

The problem this week was that the 'Colossus from Coleraine' Vickery played his first game in weeks (vCollingwood) that actually commanded selection the next week. You can't expect Dumbwck to drop Vickery when he plays a decent game, when he does it once in 15 bad games. Vickery earned his psot this week. That said, he'll likely play a shocker this week and still be picked next week.
Big critic of Vickery and have wanted him out the door the last 4 yrs. But a big part of why he gets games is there is so little in the cupboard to force him out.
Yes he has been putrid and should have been dropped many times but the real worry has nothing to do with Vickery and so much more to do with the list and the lack of real options, not just kpf but right across the board.

Lets be brutally honest our kpf stocks amount to one player Riewoldt. Then there is a mish mash of so called ruckmen so called fwds all are gangly unco 200cm types apart from one player Chol.

Lets look.
Riewoldt - the only high quality tall fwd we have it is a disgrace this situation has hit us in the face for god knows how many years.
Vickery - he aint no kpf and if people want to consider him as one he sure aint a quality one.Trouble is he is no ruckman either.
Griffiths - another lumbering 200cm player. He actually takes contested marks just not many in the fwd line. He does project as a kpf but after 7 years of total inconsistency we should be asking weather we keep him or not. Imo he would not be hard to upgrade upon because he is so far off high quality it is not funny.
McBean - sheesh another 200cm bloke who we are told will be a ruckman but has been developed as a fwd. 4 yrs in and he just does not have the tools to play kpf.
Elton - has had 4 seasons mainly developed as a defender but that has failed and now we roll the dice and try and develop him where he should have been from the start in the fwd line.4 yrs in and at any other club he would be cut he just has not done enough to be persevered with.Like Griffiths he is good in the air and can take a grab but is that enough?
Chol - another around the 200cm mark where we hedge our bets we want a ruckman but we need kpps as well. Again the question has to be asked will he develop into a high quality player in either role because mark my words that is what we are screaming out for.

When you sit and analyse this list and if you can be honest with yourself it is actually dire.
I actually think we have the numbers!!!! but the quality is lacking and the type of kpf is just wrong.

Back