Player Watch #27: Marty Hore – officially returning to the Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's the deal with this guy, talked up pre round1, gets dropped after (was he that bad) and is talked about as coming in for May this week.
I know he is a mature ager but I have personally never seen him play, is he any good? any real chance of cracking the 22? Was he just cannon fodder after a bad loss to get re-jig in hopes of a win the following week?

I am kind of thinking he is just depth at the moment for injuries.

So what's the deal with this guy, talked up pre round1, gets dropped after (was he that bad) and is talked about as coming in for May this week.
I know he is a mature ager but I have personally never seen him play, is he any good? any real chance of cracking the 22? Was he just cannon fodder after a bad loss to get re-jig in hopes of a win the following week?

I am kind of thinking he is just depth at the moment for injuries.
Two time best & fairest winner for Collingwood reserves. Was picked up as a back up intercept defender for Lever so there was a big chance he'd get a go at least until Lever came back. To me he has looked ordinary in the JLT & his game against the Power but it might simply be an adjustment period. Also to be fair every other defender besides Salem has had a pretty bad start to the season as well. I believe if he shows something he will be retained in the side.

Based on his one game against Port, he looks to sh*t the bed when under pressure. Small sample size but we dropped Petty last year and he never returned based on a similar game. But I'm not sure we have any other mid height defenders to come in. Petty or Kielty maybe, but with Frost and OMac in, that will make us too tall bringing in a third tall defender against an under sized Bombers forward line. Hore will have to show some significant improvement to be more than simply a depth player.

I think there's a spot for him if he can go for his intercept marks and hit targets on his left. Players like him, especially early days, will look 10x better if the midfield actually defends and slows their ball movement up. I really liked what I saw from the first scratch match against Collingwood, he went for his marks and looked sharp

With Lewis, Lever and May out with Nev and Hibbo looking scratchy (And OMAC and Frosty being OMAC and Frosty) we don't have anyone that can take an intercept mark, so until that's rectified I think there's a spot for him

I think there's a spot for him if he can go for his intercept marks and hit targets on his left. Players like him, especially early days, will look 10x better if the midfield actually defends and slows their ball movement up. I really liked what I saw from the first scratch match against Collingwood, he went for his marks and looked sharp

With Lewis, Lever and May out with Nev and Hibbo looking scratchy (And OMAC and Frosty being OMAC and Frosty) we don't have anyone that can take an intercept mark, so until that's rectified I think there's a spot for him

Considering how s**t everyone in the defence has looked this year you can't expect a guy in his first game to have looked good.

Can't say he has looked outstanding but neither did Lever early

out of our mid sized backmen there's only really 2 options atm. Hore and J.Wagner. Hore is good in the air but lacks a bit of dash. Wagner has the dash but not the good in the air part. Hore is probably the better kick, while Wagner is the more physical player. I think once we are up to speed there could be a place for Hore to come in as an intercept player, but at the moment we are under the pump and probably need the extra run and physicality Wagner offers.

As slow as Lewis is, perhaps we have been missing his leadership/organisation out of our backline the last 2 weeks, because God knows it has looked like a shambles down there

Maybe this has been compounded by the reduction in runners, who knows, it's probably too small a sample size to judge after 2 rounds.

Even though Lewis gets caught out in transition, it doesn't matter one iota if he's standing in the right spot and takes a mark/makes a play that cuts off an attack

Other defences don't need to be especially quick if they read the play and structure up to take marks and rebound, McGovern is pretty much a brick s**t house and it doesn't matter.

Maybe Fritsch to half back again could be a move if Hore fails to deliver with an extended run and some coverage from the midfield

Honestly I think people started the Wagner is s**t kick an he got stuck with it. I think he takes on dangerous kicks in the back half but I don't think he's a terrible kick by any means.
yeah I didn't say he was a bad kick, although I do remember a number of funny grubbers off Wagners boot at times, but everyone stuffs up eventually.

yeah I didn't say he was a bad kick, although I do remember a number of funny grubbers off Wagners boot at times, but everyone stuffs up eventually.

Nah wasn't about you mate it's the general sentiment on the board.

I think he actually weights his kicks quite well but people are waiting for that mistake like hawks. Melksham was a 's**t kick' in the back half then he went forward an he's one of the best we have had in ages.

I think Wagner probably tries to be risky too often with his kicks but I don't think he's bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always believed in you Marty, never forget that

Pretty funny the blokes who wrote him off after a couple practice matches.

He has 4 intercept marks for the season, Omac took his first tonight which was uncontested from a Buddy Bomb.
Infact, he has as many intercept marks as Omac and Frost combined this season.

Looked up to speed with the game. Had one poor kick out, and kicked one on the full late but that is being super critical. I liked what i saw particularly the intercept marking.

I really liked him, looks like he is now up to the speed of the game and looked great, reads the ball very well.

Could be a great backline with Hore, Lever and May come the end of the season

Last edited:
Was right up there as one of the worst/most underwhelming MFC debuts of recent years with the likes of Gillies, Petty and Pederson for mine.

Couldn't believe how well he played in his second game Best 22for sure if he maintains that standard

You guys think he's a regular lock or will make way when players come back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back