Player Watch #27: Marty Hore – officially returning to the Dees

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
He is best intercept mark, he really clunks them to. His kicking has improved to, it comes with confidence.

Going forward; (we may not see this back until very late in the year or even until 2020)

Jetta May Lever
Hore Frost Hibberd

Free salem up the ground

***did i miss anyone obvious

:think: Dont think so.

I wonder if we need to think of life after Ser Jetta and maybe even Hibberd though. But I agree May could potentially overtake OMAC if that other guy doesnt (forgot his name, Perry or something)

Then we have the wagners in backup

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
:think: Dont think so.

I wonder if we need to think of life after Ser Jetta and maybe even Hibberd though. But I agree May could potentially overtake OMAC if that other guy doesnt (forgot his name, Perry or something)

Then we have the wagners in backup

He would want to after what we gave up for him.

Last edited:
He is best intercept mark, he really clunks them to. His kicking has improved to, it comes with confidence.

Going forward; (we may not see this back until very late in the year or even until 2020)

Jetta May Lever
Hore Frost Hibberd

Free salem up the ground

***did i miss anyone obvious

With Hore, May and Lever all capable of intercept possessions this line up allows Hibberd to be less accountable and stream forward on turnovers. Hoping Hibberd can get back to his elite disposal if he is getting more ball forward of centre could be very dangerous.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watching him the last 3 weeks, I see him as a lock for best 22 and much more than a solid contributor. Honestly, with him doing what he is doing there is absolutely no rush to see Lever back in, let him get right. Ditto Fat Stuff. Obviously they could sub someone else with a really high TER score out, but not Hore
Makes me think we made a mistake in using two 1st rounders on an intercept player. This isn't a knock on Lever who showed great signs at Adelaide but I don't think it's as hard to find a good intercept player as it is to find a gun midfielder or kpp which we could have effectively recruited using the same picks we did. We were happy to let Howe go and he became a great intercepter, Adelaide filled the hole left by Lever straight away with Doedee and we have plucked Hore out of the VFL.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Makes me think we made a mistake in using two 1st rounders on an intercept player. This isn't a knock on Lever who showed great signs at Adelaide but I don't think it's as hard to find a good intercept player as it is to find a gun midfielder or kpp which we could have effectively recruited using the same picks we did. We were happy to let Howe go and he became a great intercepter, Adelaide filled the hole left by Lever straight away with Doedee and we have plucked Hore out of the VFL.
I think you are forgetting how good Lever is and over estimating Hore. Plus there's no rule that says you only need.

One of the firsts was pick 15 downgraded to an early 20s pick don't forget that

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you are forgetting how good Lever is and over estimating Hore. Plus there's no rule that says you only need.

No I'm not forgetting how good Lever is. You don't give up that much for someone who's merely OK. Please don't think for one second I am rating Hore ahead of Lever. It wasn't a criticism of Lever more a statement on the position he plays. I'd much rather have a good midfielder that can hit targets And Hore than Lever and Hore ATM.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
No I'm not forgetting how good Lever is. You don't give up that much for someone who's merely OK. Please don't think for one second I am rating Hore ahead of Lever. It wasn't a criticism of Lever more a statement on the position he plays. I'd much rather have a good midfielder that can hit targets And Hore than Lever and Hore ATM.

Yeah you both are right

The thing is we have recruited to play a certain game plan and haven't had the personnel to pull it off so far this year.

Our game plan will (hopefully) look as follows when we are full strength:

1. Win the centre clearance.
2. Take mark and goal (if step 2 fails see step 3)
3. Bring the ball to ground and trap it in at all costs.
4. Gawn, Lever, May, Hore set up a perimeter outside 50 one kick from the stoppage. Lever and May are both good kicks, Hore improving. You have someone like Hibberd near Gawn to receive the hand ball and kick it back inside 50.
5. Either win the inside 50 stoppage and score or the above mentioned players mark the ball as it comes out.
6. Salem, Frost and Jetta acting as sweepers if a kick clears the other 4.

In the event we lose the centre clearance we will have 3 intercept marking options down back.

Having guys like Hannan and AVB back would be helpful because they both provide marking options and put on pressure.

In my opinion we need a speedy skillful half forward more than another mid. Jayden Hunt seems to be improving his forward craft a little but the skill level maybe isn't there. Instead of going long from the middle we need someone starting I50 who can dart out and take the first kick from the centre clearance, spin and hit a target.

Last edited:
Who did this? lol

1558420882473.png

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I haven’t forgotten Levers talent.

It’s been a long year, but get him back and fit and nurse him back Hawthorn style then we do have a legitimate gun talent of the competition. And we also get to select Hore who is mature, a natural footy player and has some tricks as an interceptor who can take marks plus having some stopper abilities one on one.

Add into that May if he gets back to form and we are a genuine exciting defensive proposition.

It’s 2020 talk and all, but the list defensively looks good to me, once we can go into any game with the regular number of best 22 out there and in form.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

We had our chance to draft good kicks, we took Petracca Brayshaw and Oliver all top 5. Pick 9 and 15 weren't likely to be better.

Plus teams build premierships around defence. Neither the eagles or tigers had especially superstar kicking midfields. They did have gun defenders and crumbers tho

I’d do the Lever trade again in a heartbeat. The players that were taken with the picks we gave up were Lochie O’Brien (the most vanilla half back of all time) and Liam Stocker, a stock standard mid. We got Lever and Petty. We did extremely well.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne

We need 22 intercept marking defenders in our team every week.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Y'know, if we replaced our forwards with intercept defenders and told then to cut off our attacks we might just mark a ******* forward 50 entry for once.

What pains me is when we finally take a mark on forward 50 we can't convert, so frustrating.

Back