Player Watch #27: Marty Hore – officially returning to the Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Writing off Salem, Gawn took a while to get going, Salem has at least been consistent since the season started
Gawn then Salem would be our b and f top two at present I think.

Gawn standards are amazing - supporters don’t pick him out for attention every week because we’ve come to expect a great Gawn through past experience. He won our game against Sydney. Jones played well and I was happy for him and all, and he was the talk of the week from media etc. but exceptional Gawn actually won the thing. He very nearly won against West Coast at home too. He would have also if he could have relied on a handful of teammates to keep helping out in the 4th.

Also, while drunk admittedly, my recollection of the GWS game was literally Gawn v GWS. The bloke is a legend and deserves better than us, but fortunately the big dumb beard seems a loyal type.

He is very good, he's somewhat similar to Langdon. I was hoping the pies would take him and I dont often hope we take players from our VFL team
Sorry about tooting my own horn here but it was pretty obvious he was a class above our VFL players including the ones that were AFL listed over the last 2 years... really annoyed we didn’t pick him up when we had the chance, he’s killing it for my SuperCoach at least. Thought he was one of your best players today/yesterday

Always seemed unfair that we cut him after getting injured - hopefully he pushes for selection next year.

At the very least some experience to give an option for filling the Hibberd role.

3c319d51d730ea1f2c671583d9eb6a56.jpg
This seems more relevant now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick interview here :love:

A glimpse of Tholstrup's hair in the background at training too.

I reckon Marty will get some opportunities this year with Petty out and a permanent forward. Can see him playing as the quasi 2nd KPD with Disco on smaller/quicker forward lines when Tomo doesnt play.

id have him in over Salem round 1.
Salem and Hore are very different players.

I’m still a bit puzzled by Hore returning. There must be some sort of plan for him that I can’t see.

Is Lever going to play more of a true tall defender role with Petty forward / out injured / out traded in 2025?

It starts to make more sense to me if that’s the case. Hore would then be able to play the one role I think he can do effectively at AFL level which is that zone off defender.

But if Lever still plays his zone off role, then there’s Turner and Hore (and Tomlinson) who are also far better suited to that role than being a genuine tall defender on the list.

The other way to look at it is Melbourne’s premiership window is still open. Hore is more likely to be a viable best 30 squad member and end up contributing to a premiership than the 70th choice 18 year old which is who was competing with Hore for that last list spot.

Salem and Hore are very different players.

That's the point. Salems neither a good defender nor good attacking defender he's just there and having multiple guys who can intercept isn't a bad thing. It stops attacks dead

I’m still a bit puzzled by Hore returning. There must be some sort of plan for him that I can’t see.

Hes there for some lineup flexibility and is a guy who is familiar with the way we do things. He would have got more opportunities if not for injuries when he was here last.

As I said in my previous post, with Petty on the sidelines and slated to be a permanent KPF when he returns you cant play Tomo every week, very matchup dependant player. Disco has proven to be injury prone also up to this point. Rolling into the season with just those two as the second banana to May would be stupid.

I dont see it as a massive game changer but its a solid move at no cost.

Intercept defenders who can kick > small defenders who can't defend.

IMO, we're not losing much at all defensively by playing Hore over someone like Salem. The intercept marking adds another offensive weapon to the backline which outweighs the small loss of mobility, I think.

Salem's defensive work is pretty mediocre, and he hasn't offered much offensively for two years. Chucking Hore down there gives us another option if Lever is tied up with a taller opponent or tagged.

Don't think it's out of the realms of possibility to have some games where the back 7 consists of May, Tommo, Lever, Hore, Rivers, McVee and Bowey. Obviously you'd revise that strategy against a team with a bunch of good smalls (say GWS) who would give that group trouble on the deck.

Not exactly like for like but the way I see our recruiting.
Out: Hibberd, Harmes, JJ and Grundy.
Ins: Hore, McAdam, Billings and Fullerton. To me losing a defender in Hibberd and replacing him with a Hore makes a lot of sense. Hore might be depth but we already know what we will get from him.

Not exactly like for like but the way I see our recruiting.
Out: Hibberd, Harmes, JJ and Grundy.
Ins: Hore, McAdam, Billings and Fullerton. To me losing a defender in Hibberd and replacing him with a Hore makes a lot of sense. Hore might be depth but we already know what we will get from him.

When you look at it like that it's not a bad low-cost trade period. Very expensive back up ruck for a very cheap one, a couple of experienced forwards who are actually genuine forwards to replace a couple of back up mids who'd been playing half forward, and a back up medium-tall defender to replace Hibbo.

If we'd taken the opportunity to get another draftee in and got rid of Schache I would have had said we'd done as much as we can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back