Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

th
1666165167509.jpeg
Not sure why we didn't get Matty Roberts as a father-son selection.

He's clearly the offspring of Jayson Daniels.

Last edited:

He is .

Clarke is arguably a worse kick than Daniels.
Nope. I think time has affected your memory. Clarke has improved but Daniels was never capable of improving. Daniels got a lot of the ball but would slaughter it every time in such a way that would just leave you open-mouthed. I liked him as an honest toiler but there is no way he was better than Clarke.

I think GUH has found his new JPK
And here was I thinking Unc and I were finally on the same page 🤣

Just joking Unc, I love Clarky but with nowhere near the adoration I had for Josh.
I just love a battler come good story, even if Clarkies star has shone as brightly as it ever will, he's shown fight and tenacity and got to play on the biggest stage on the biggest day and was one of only a handful that could hold his head up high afterward.
Not many in the history of the game can say that.

And here was I thinking Unc and I were finally on the same page

Just joking Unc, I love Clarky but with nowhere near the adoration I had for Josh.
I just love a battler come good story, even if Clarkies star has shone as brightly as it ever will, he's shown fight and tenacity and got to play on the biggest stage on the biggest day and was one of only a handful that could hold his head up high afterward.
Not many in the history of the game can say that.
I agree rẻ Clarke. He was also telling players to settle down. But most of them continued to pannick.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy deserves to have a thread bearing his name bumped.

Tonight, I thought he played like he felt like he was comfortable at this level.

Being unshackled as a non sub clearly must've been a confidence boost for Roberts.

He's a keeper I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My off-season deep dive number two is... Matty Roberts (I absolutely love that the Swans website has just gone **** it and called him 'Matty' instead of 'Matt', as he's recognised nearly everywhere else.)

2023 was a crazy season where there were more casualties than a Daenerys Targaryen & Drogon visit to King's Landing. Sheldrick became a fan favourite, Gulden went bananas, a few beloved players retired, we had a 90+ point loss, and a 170+ point win where we kicked over 200 points. I could go on and on. What I'm getting at is that it can be easy to forget that before everything went to s**t, and whilst we actually had pretty much a fully fit squad, Matty Roberts was the 23rd man in our first three games, a side that was nearly identical to that which made the GF six months earlier.

It seems a lifetime ago, and everything we saw of Roberts since probably has us wondering, "How the heck did he get that gig?"

So I'm asking the question: How the heck DID Matty Roberts get that gig?

I think the answers lie in the pre-season of 2022/23. The club was being its usual secretive self, giving nothing away and sequestering the players from the fans who pay to help keep the club, and their careers, afloat. In the few interviews we did get, three names kept coming up when asked who was impressing on the track - Errol Gulden, Dylan Stephens, and Matty Roberts. The former two didn't really raise any eyebrows - though at different points on the spectrum in terms of footy ability, both are incredibly fit players and pre-season always favours the fittest.

Hearing Matty Roberts' name frequently mentioned surprised me though. Aside from not being overly sure where there was even a place in the 22 for Roberts, it was hard to imagine what someone like Roberts was doing in the pre-season to stand out so much. It's not a knock on him at all, but he's never appeared blessed with elite pace or skill or size or athleticism. So what was he doing to stand out? Cracking in and winning the ball? I'd have thought that would be the bare minimum expected of an inside mid in pre-season training, unless others were taking it easy.

But on reflection, maybe that was the whole point. If he was simply emulating the training and practice form of the likes of Parker, Rowbottom, Warner etc., then as a 20 year old who had only one game to his name, isn't that a pretty good endorsement? A sign that he was slotting in seamlessly with the group around him, and was trusted to work well with them if required, hence his promotion to sub status early in the season?

I thought it worth reminding myself of this, because in the midst of all the chaos this season brought (and the subsequent wholesale changes made during the trade period), Matty Roberts has become something of a forgotten man, despite starting the season as the next man in. With his season effectively derailed by that knee injury suffered in round 6, Sheldrick ended up getting the games that Roberts would've been eyeing off, and that's only been compounded by the addition of Taylor Adams and James Jordon to our midfield ranks.

I think the path forward for Roberts can go either one of two ways:

1. Fight like hell to win a spot back over Sheldrick/Cleary/Jordon (very do-able) or Adams (more difficult)

2. Reinvent himself in another position, maybe a lockdown small defender or flanker (I really don't know if there's any merit to this prospect other than him being a less-popular and less-glamorous member of our current midfield stocks, so therefore most expendable to some fans.)

Either route will involve a lot of hard work, discipline and professionalism. I think no matter what happens over the next 12 months we're going to find out what Matty Roberts is made of.

My off-season deep dive number two is... Matty Roberts (I absolutely love that the Swans website has just gone **** it and called him 'Matty' instead of 'Matt', as he's recognised nearly everywhere else.)

2023 was a crazy season where there were more casualties than a Daenerys Targaryen & Drogon visit to King's Landing. Sheldrick became a fan favourite, Gulden went bananas, a few beloved players retired, we had a 90+ point loss, and a 170+ point win where we kicked over 200 points. I could go on and on. What I'm getting at is that it can be easy to forget that before everything went to s**t, and whilst we actually had pretty much a fully fit squad, Matty Roberts was the 23rd man in our first three games, a side that was nearly identical to that which made the GF six months earlier.

It seems a lifetime ago, and everything we saw of Roberts since probably has us wondering, "How the heck did he get that gig?"

I think the answers lie in the pre-season of 2022/23. The club was being its usual secretive self, giving nothing away and sequestering the players from the fans who pay to help keep the club, and their careers, afloat. In the few interviews we did get, three names kept coming up when asked who was impressing on the track - Errol Gulden, Dylan Stephens, and Matty Roberts. The former two didn't really raise any eyebrows - though at different points on the spectrum in terms of footy ability, both are incredibly fit players and pre-season always favours the fittest.

Hearing Matty Roberts' name frequently mentioned surprised me though. Aside from not being overly sure where there was even a place in the 22 for Roberts, it was hard to imagine what someone like Roberts was doing in the pre-season to stand out so much. It's not a knock on him at all, but he's never appeared blessed with elite pace or skill or size or athleticism. So what was he doing to stand out? Cracking in and winning the ball? I'd have thought that would be the bare minimum expected of an inside mid in pre-season training, unless others were taking it easy.

But on reflection, maybe that was the whole point. If he was simply emulating the training and practice form of the likes of Parker, Rowbottom, Warner etc., then as a 20 year old who had only one game to his name, isn't that a pretty good endorsement? A sign that he was slotting in seamlessly with the group around him, and was trusted to work well with them if required, hence his promotion to sub status early in the season?

I thought it worth reminding myself of this, because in the midst of all the chaos this season brought (and the subsequent wholesale changes made during the trade period), Matty Roberts has become something of a forgotten man, despite starting the season as the next man in. With his season effectively derailed by that knee injury suffered in round 6, Sheldrick ended up getting the games that Roberts would've been eyeing off, and that's only been compounded by the addition of Taylor Adams and James Jordon to our midfield ranks.

1. Fight like hell to win a spot back over Sheldrick/Cleary/Jordon (very do-able) or Adams (more difficult)

2. Reinvent himself in another position, maybe a lockdown small defender or flanker (I really don't know if there's any merit to this prospect other than him being a less-popular and less-glamorous member of our current midfield stocks, so therefore most expendable to some fans.)

Either route will involve a lot of hard work, discipline and professionalism. I think no matter what happens over the next 12 months we're going to find out what Matty Roberts is made of.
When the time comes remember who suggested that Matt (Matty if you must) could be our next Smooch/Cunners. You just enumerated most of the competencies required. I don't doubt he would give it a crack, the big question is whether the coaches would.

When the time comes remember who suggested that Matt (Matty if you must) could be our next Smooch/Cunners. You just enumerated most of the competencies required. I don't doubt he would give it a crack, the big question is whether the coaches would.
I don't think the coaches would do it unless they know he won't be much of a factor in the midfield equation. As it stands he's as much chance to be a factor in the midfield as anyone outside of our last fielded 22.

I don't think the coaches would do it unless they know he won't be much of a factor in the midfield equation. As it stands he's as much chance to be a factor in the midfield as anyone outside of our last fielded 22.
They moved Magor down back either to grow his skill base or see if he has a future in a different role. If it were up to me I would give Matt tagging roles in VFL to see if he can sit in someone's pocket if I wanted to see if he had what it takes. All good experience.

They moved Magor down back either to grow his skill base or see if he has a future in a different role. If it were up to me I would give Matt tagging roles in VFL to see if he can sit in someone's pocket if I wanted to see if he had what it takes. All good experience.
Yeah I get what you mean KC, I just think it's a bit soon for that. I'd be keen to see if Roberts can deliver on his promise as a ball-winning hard nut mid on the inside before trying him in alternative roles. No reason he can't be the next man into the midfield if he backs up his effort from last year's pre-season.

I just think he needs to stay healthy.

The rest will take care of itself. He will either be good enough or he won't..

We aren't that good that anyone will be deprived of opportunity if they are deserving of a spot.

I do not see Matty as anything other than a mid or possibly a half-forward. I think he is going to have to be patient and wait until Parker and Adams retire to get a regular senior spot (and make sure he doesn't get overtaken by anyone in the meantime). Fortunately Parker is contracted to the end of 2025 and then may retire and that is the same as Matty so, by that year, Matty should have an idea of whether he is going to get a regular senior gig with us or not.

Until then he will most likely get cameo appearances and time to build himself up in the ressies. If he asks to be traded sooner then I would expect that we would get a decent return because he is contracted. That's my take.

Last edited:

Thanks caesar88 - always enjoy these posts.

I agree with your analysis - especially the forgotten man bit.

Except …. I’m intrigued by your statement “… win a spot back over Sheldrick / Cleary / Jordon”.

Specifically, I don’t believe for a moment that Roberts has fallen behind Cleary in the pecking order (if that is indeed what you’re intimating).

Roberts was (in the DQ view) the far superior performer out of the two in the VFL last year, and has a couple of years head start.

I reckon Cleary has quite some way to go before he’s in the frame with Matthew Roberts.

its funny. I dont watch a lot of the vfl side, so my comments are mostly afl level.

i think hes capable. reminds me a bit of george hewitt. not hugely exciting but seems to get it enough and give it pretty accurately

Thanks caesar88 - always enjoy these posts.

I agree with your analysis - especially the forgotten man bit.

Except …. I’m intrigued by your statement “… win a spot back over Sheldrick / Cleary / Jordon”.

Specifically, I don’t believe for a moment that Roberts has fallen behind Cleary in the pecking order (if that is indeed what you’re intimating).

Roberts was (in the DQ view) the far superior performer out of the two in the VFL last year, and has a couple of years head start.

I reckon Cleary has quite some way to go before he’s in the frame with Matthew Roberts.
Yes "win a spot back" probably wasn't the right term. "Win a spot over" those guys would be more apt.

… and certainly a couple in it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back