Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

As Horse said in the post match "He will remember his first game" with a wry smile. No doubt. It was an insane game to make your debut in.
As I said elsewhere debuting in a semifinal. REALLY hard to pick up the insane speed of the game. I liked that he wasn't afraid to mix it, even if he struggled to be in the right places. If he uses the replay and gets help from the coaches and maybe Parker he will learn an enormous amount.
Converting it to performance in the VFL will be the trick.

What a crazy game to make a debut in. But a great learning opportunity because the pressure around the ball was intense, being down and then coming back for a win. The impact of free kicks over turned due to off the ball incidents by Swans players and how that can hurt the team.

Breathe it in kiddo and enjoy the ride.

What a crazy game to make a debut in. But a great learning opportunity because the pressure around the ball was intense, being down and then coming back for a win. The impact of free kicks over turned due to off the ball incidents by Swans players and how that can hurt the team.

Breathe it in kiddo and enjoy the ride.

Spot on Ticky. Richmond's pressure was so elite it was like making his debut in a final, intensity-wise. Should go back to the VFL full of confidence that Horse took the gamble on him in such a game.

I've no concern for him long-term; it was a great indication of how much of a step up in intensity it is from VFL to AFL. And how much of a step up it is from AFL to finals-like AFL.

You could just see the young guy was running around with a million things going through his head and therefore doing things he wouldn't normally do or won't do in 3 years time when he's experienced. I reckon that contest with O'Riordan and Rioli in the 2nd quarter when Roberts didn't kill the ball out of bounds or through for a behind despite having the perfect sit and Rioli ends up kicking the goal will be one he'd look back on in a few years' time and think how far he's come. That terrible kind of game for a young guy when it just seems like every time you go near the ball, something bad happens. He'll be right.

He made a good call late when he locked the ball top of the 50 with Tigers surging. A number of players may have tried to release that. Showed ticker doing it. There are games where smalls just get ignored all game and most. of their impact is off the ball which doesn’t draw stats. Would not comment too much on good or bad game as unless you spent the game solely watching him you won’t really know.

Good to have it under his belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiny bump.

Has a lot of skill, solid legs and has a real go. He and Gus Sheldrick will be very important to our midfield.
Matty has a great frame which the gym work will do justice to. Reckon he will be powerful like Mills.
Sheldrick is already powerful in the mould of a Chad. Excited.
I am also quietly very happy with Cory Warner's attack on the ball and the man and he seems to know where to be to impact a game.

Snuck under the radar a bit but I really like an early first contract extension, particularly after an inconspicuous senior debut. Just a good show of faith from the club and a promising early commitment from the player.

Agree. A big pre season will help this ball centric toughie.

Matty has a great frame which the gym work will do justice to. Reckon he will be powerful like Mills.
Sheldrick is already powerful in the mould of a Chad. Excited.
I am also quietly very happy with Cory Warner's attack on the ball and the man and he seems to know where to be to impact a game.
Is it just me but do you feel like we got a bit on mongrel back into our midfield, Rusty?

Is it just me but do you feel like we got a bit on mongrel back into our midfield, Rusty?
I do Ticky. You want more contested footy which you say is an area of concern. I cannot wait for next year with last year's recruits putting pressure on and getting games. I think a lot of our younger players have that intent or mongrel as you call it. I really like our recruitment department and they way they select players. The last few games with our intensity in the first quarter blowing away teams makes me think we are peaking at the right time of the year.

Yesterday was Roberts' birthday, but we wouldn't know as the club's media team overlooked it.

Happy belated birthday Matty!

In fairness, not everybody wants their bday plastered over social media. I'd like to think our social media team has a list of players who would prefer not to have their birthdays published.

Had similar things for colleagues in the last few places I've worked. Some people like an acknowledgement, some go full Ron Swanson and hate anybody knowing.

Edit: not that it's a criticism of acknowledging here, btw. Just doubt it's a ball drop from our socials team.

In fairness, not everybody wants their bday plastered over social media. I'd like to think our social media team has a list of players who would prefer not to have their birthdays published.

Had similar things for colleagues in the last few places I've worked. Some people like an acknowledgement, some go full Ron Swanson and hate anybody knowing.

Edit: not that it's a criticism of acknowledging here, btw. Just doubt it's a ball drop from our socials team.
I mean, their birthdays are in the public domain anyway. I also went full OCD on this and looked back on posts from previous years and there were so many inconsistencies in terms of acknowledging a player's birthday one year, and then not doing so the following year. Or vice versa. So I'm not sure that players' privacy is the cause.

It's only a minor thing, but it just irks me because our media team will do 4325777422256 posts about certain players over the course of the season, but others may not even make one single appearance on the social media feeds. For example, apart from the ardent reserves watchers, would any Swans fans know that Lachie McAndrew exists? That Gould is a Swan? That Taylor is still on the list? Probably not, as there's not a trace of them from our media. Their birthday is the one day they can just make one post acknowledging their presence as a Swan. Takes 30 seconds to post and it's what they're paid to do, and they can't even do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back