Past 34. Sam Philp

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m off to buy my jumper. Better than Simmo in his first game by an incalculable amount because Simmo was the Audi symbol after his first game. I felt for him when he was dropping the ball like it was cake of soap but nerves can do strange things. I hope he gets another chance next week. Playing in the sunshine (hopefully) is a completely different experience.

A few fumbles early - looked nervous and think the pace of the game caught him a bit by surprise.

Couple of nice tackles though and that pick up in the 4th in the Bombers' forward 50 was outstanding. Should take plenty of confidence from that.

First Carlton player to experience a win on debut since Williamson in 2017....against Essendon.

made a ton of mistakes but when the game was on the line cleared the ball from defensive 50 with a great pickup and slick handball.

Has to keep his spot for at least this week
Agree with the summation but keeping his spot might be a tough ask.

You would think McKay will come in for Silvagni and that Fisher will come into the side and if they weren't going to drop Newnes after 2 8 touch 1 tackle games I can't seem them dropping him after having 13 touches and 3 tackles so Philp is the most likely to come out.

made a ton of mistakes but when the game was on the line cleared the ball from defensive 50 with a great pickup and slick handball.

Has to keep his spot for at least this week

Wasnt alone with the fumbles. Even Casboult and Cripps were dropping them; it just looked like that kind of day.

Liked what I saw. Definately something there to work with.

Wasnt alone with the fumbles. Even Casboult and Cripps were dropping them; it just looked like that kind of day.

Liked what I saw. Definately something there to work with.

I remember there was a discussion after the Townsend Kick fell short IIRC that there was lots of dew in the air making the ball travel less distance. Maybe the ball was a bit slippery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets face it, it was a poor debut. As many have pointed out, the bloke who is now in outright third for games played at our club didnt touch the footy in game one. Its no hanging offence. The clean pick up in the last quarter was an obvious highlight for Philp. I'd like to see him hold his spot but equally I want to win.
If the match committee thinks we are better served with others then so be it.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1593073083001

I keep watching the very last highlight.

Kennedy handballs high so SP has to reach. Should be tackled by Geelong Player 1.
SP Cuts hard right avoiding Geelong Player 1 while wrong footing Geelong Player 2.

Straightens punches it Comfortably through from 45

Straight out of the Eagle CJ playbook. First goal reminds me a little of CJ's goal in the 2013 EF taking the handball to stream into goal ( though the ball came from a different side of the body)

Struggling to contain my excitement, so few players have that burst. No pressure Sam.

When was the last time we had a highlights vid of a Carlton player and it was full of chase-down tackles?

I love it. I really hope to see him establish himself as a real high-pressure player.

Last edited:
First game you want a few glimpses of what they can become, not everyone is a Rowell in their first few games.
He stuck a few tackles and a nice pick up on the run.

Would not be shocked if he was dropped this week, but I am sure he will be better for the run.
Really noticed the change in speed of the game for the kid.
I thought he looked taller than his listed height, so he has a nice frame to work with moving forward.

The last person with a 100% record for winning every game that he played at Carlton was believe it or not..................... Rhys Palmer

And it was against Essendon too!

Nice stat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back