Past Barry O'Connor - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

AA300120DB0694-1-.JPG

Barry O'Connor
Barry O’Connor made the challenging switch from Gaelic football to Australian rules football when the Sydney Swans signed him as an International Category B Rookie in 2019. O’Connor, who hails from county Wexford on Ireland’s east coast, has trained as a key defender ever since arriving at the Swans at the beginning of the 2020 pre-season, with his marking ability, strength and speed his key attributes. His move to the Swans has linked him with assistant coach Tadhg Kennelly, from county Kerry, and teammate Colin O’Riordan, from county Tipperary.

Barry O'Connor
DOB: 26 June 1998
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2019 Other
RECRUITED FROM: County Wexford (Ireland)

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure where to post up, but Sydney have reportedly signed a 20 year old footballer from Wexford in Ireland on a 2 year contract. Barry O Connor was out there in April on a 2 week trial so must have impressed enough to warrant a decent contract. He is from a famous Wexford GAA family, his father being an exceptional hurler and he has 3 cousins currently on the county hurling team. Barry himself is playing centrefield for the county football team. Hes a very versatile player, but with most Irish imports, I'd expect him to start in the back line and play himself into contention there. Has good height and is physically strong. Obviously not AFL strong, but with a bit of full time development I'd expect him to flourish.

Not sure where to post up, but Sydney have reportedly signed a 20 year old footballer from Wexford in Ireland on a 2 year contract. Barry O Connor was out there in April on a 2 week trial so must have impressed enough to warrant a decent contract. He is from a famous Wexford GAA family, his father being an exceptional hurler and he has 3 cousins currently on the county hurling team. Barry himself is playing centrefield for the county football team. Hes a very versatile player, but with most Irish imports, I'd expect him to start in the back line and play himself into contention there. Has good height and is physically strong. Obviously not AFL strong, but with a bit of full time development I'd expect him to flourish.

Thank you for that news. It is much appreciated.

You live in a great part of the world, though Wexford falls a smidgeon short of Co. Cork as it does in GAA.

Just wondering about the word "sign"?
SYDNEY has doubled its Irish playing stocks, signing Colin O'Riordan's 193cm countryman Barry O'Connor.
AFL.com.au understands the Swans committed to O'Connor, who turns 21 in three weeks, in recent days on a two-year contract, as is normal with Irish recruits.

Can any AFL club sign any player other than at contract extensions, draft or trade times?

Just wondering about the word "sign"?
SYDNEY has doubled its Irish playing stocks, signing Colin O'Riordan's 193cm countryman Barry O'Connor.
AFL.com.au understands the Swans committed to O'Connor, who turns 21 in three weeks, in recent days on a two-year contract, as is normal with Irish recruits.

Can any AFL club sign any player other than at contract extensions, draft or trade times?
Yes, you can sign Cat B rookies at any time as they are not or haven't been a registered footballer for it's either three or four years.

Cat B signings are a free hit, you've got to make use of this. So many good players are on lists via this avenue, our own COR, all the Irish players, Mason Cox for the Pies, key players for Crows Greenwood from basketball, Keith from cricket. Pies have two Irish players via Cat B on this years list. We should always be trying out Cat B's, particularly Irish players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barry Hall, Barry Mitchell, Leo Barry. Swans love the Bazzas and more often than not get good mileage out of them.
Don't forget Barry Round!

Swans bring another gem from Emerald Isle to Emerald City
SMH VINCE RUGARI JUNE 05, 2019
https://www.outline.com/Nr9bmG
"You can see it in his eyes – he wants to be here," O'Riordan said. "He was hanging out for the opportunity. It's a big transition, but he's coming to the best club in Australia in my opinion. He'll be welcomed just the way I was.

With that attitude, I want Barry to be here :)

Swans bring another gem from Emerald Isle to Emerald City
SMH VINCE RUGARI JUNE 05, 2019
https://www.outline.com/Nr9bmG
"You can see it in his eyes – he wants to be here," O'Riordan said. "He was hanging out for the opportunity. It's a big transition, but he's coming to the best club in Australia in my opinion. He'll be welcomed just the way I was.

With that attitude, I want Barry to be here :)

Nice article. Liked how O'Connor had boned up on names, inc of staff, before he came out for his two week trial in April.

Hard to get excited about irish recruits these days
Any potential best 22 player we can pick up outside of a top draft pick should get us excited - those are the picks that will get us back into contention.
Looks to me like his body is ready for football already. Just needs to spend the next six months kicking a footy off both feet.

Looks to me like his body is ready for football already. Just needs to spend the next six months kicking a footy off both feet.

Don't see why we have higher standards for international recruits then local boys.

So here's Barry O'Connor.

He's from the '50's.
He's a bit rough around the edges.
He loves having a drink of Guinness.
He has a stubble that's bordering on a beard. (Brown in patches but the greying's already in full swing.)
He's a farmer so that explains not only his permanently dry hands and dirty fingers but also his roughness.
He doesn't take s**t from no one which explains his work ethic and tone of voice.

What else is there?

Any potential best 22 player we can pick up outside of a top draft pick should get us excited - those are the picks that will get us back into contention.
Just dont see the benefita of drafting a guy thats never played the game before compared to kids who have been playing for 12-15 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back