Senior 35. Billy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to the posters who shared the under 18 finals footage.

I really liked the highlights reels for Cooper Simpson. But those clips of Wilson in the midfield help me understand why Austin and Co were so keen.

First of all, he knows how to find the footy. There was a lot of congestion around in those film clips. Obviously, they focus on Wilson. But for him to find the ball as often as he did demonstrates that he can read the play.

Then, there is that neat turn of speed and evasiveness. That’s a clear point of difference on any other midfielder we currently have. Of course, he needs physical development to bring that at senior AFL level, but you can’t expect him to be the complete package as a second round pick.

The disposal when in the clear is pretty good. It’s not bad in close. But will probably improve as he gets more experience working his way through congestion.

I like the pick. And I am hopeful our development team is now of a standard where they can take a player like Billy Wilson and turn him into an AFL footballer.

Love this selection. We are crying out for quick players with a burst of speed and evasiveness. His highlights package showed all these attributes (yes..I know it is a 'highlights' package and he will have some deficiencies).

I trust in Austin and Agresta...they have based this selection on NEEDS. Any Carlton fan knows we are slightly one-paced in the midfield. This goes somewhat to addressing that need.

Wilson has only recently moved to the midfield, so will need time to develop. But I trust in Luke Power, who is highly regarded as a development coach.

I look forward to watching him develop in the VFL over the next 1-2 years, as per Cowan, Binns, Lemmey, O'Keefe and others as they are coached and developed to be ready to take on the rigors of AFL.

Welcome Billy.

Last edited:

I know senior coaches don’t get the time to follow the 18’s comp all that closely but it was quite funny hearing the recruiting team telling Voss who this kid is and what he brings.
Shows who’s in charge of what and that’s a good thing.
Probably a direct result of Crazy Vossy at Brisbane and his moneyball approach. Looks like he rightly leaves it all to the experts now.

Last edited:
1st stop = haircut please. Get serious now!
If he cuts his hair he may lose all of his skills, a bit like Samson losing his strength when his was cut. Who are you anyway? Delilah?

His dad dropped the bombers straight away 😂

Great insight into the mindset of parents of draftees. I once said I'd force my kid to nominate "anyone but *" but as I've gotten older I've changed my perspective. Tough to admit as I have passionately and publicly hated * forever, but if it's what's needed for my child to realise their dream I think (hope) I'd react the same as Billy's folks.

BRB need a shower after that admission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a direct result of Crazy Vossy and Brisbane and his moneyball approach. Looks like he rightly leaves it all to the experts now.

Orazio was definitely a Crazy Vossy type.

Nowhere near Fev, Raines, Clarke, Staker, Buchanon and Maguire in the one off-season though 😂

Leave the recruiting to the recruiters.

Welcome, William Wilson.

Won the Dandy B&F in front of DeMattia and Simpson. Also named in the Coates league best 22 in the back pocket.

Tested extremely well.

Uses the ball well.

Tick tick tick.
Pretty sure Simpson missed a fair few games with injury though.....
Wanted Simpson got his mate Wilson instead, but I
trust in Austin's power's!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back