Senior 35. Billy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Moir will be a slower burn, take 3-4 years to come on with some consistency. Wilson if he comes on probably see him cementing a regular place in the side in 2025.
Moir is physically developed, barring any pre season mishaps will be ready to go.

Wilson needs to put on a good 7kgs or more. And needs work on his composure.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Great insight into the mindset of parents of draftees. I once said I'd force my kid to nominate "anyone but *" but as I've gotten older I've changed my perspective. Tough to admit as I have passionately and publicly hated * forever, but if it's what's needed for my child to realise their dream I think (hope) I'd react the same as Billy's folks.

BRB need a shower after that admission.
Back in a long ago time, I remember hearing ABC radio grandstand talk to Joyce Brown (Fraser’s mum) when she was Australian netball coach.

The conversation strayed on to football. Apparently she had always been a Collingwood fan. When Fraser was selected by Carlton, she said she still intended to barrack for Collingwood. But when Fraser played in his first game against the great rivals, Joyce said she switched her allegiance to Carlton as soon as he got his first kick.

Moir is physically developed, barring any pre season mishaps will be ready to go.

Wilson needs to put on a good 7kgs or more. And needs work on his composure.

I can tell you first hand it won't be through lack of effort. He's worked his arse off to get himself onto a list, and just last week he was at my local gym down here on the Peninsula pushing weights.

Very impressive looking unit i gotta tell ya - has a presence about him.

I can tell you first hand it won't be through lack of effort. He's worked his arse off to get himself onto a list, and just last week he was at my local gym down here on the Peninsula pushing weights.

Keep on keeping the Billy Wilson insights coming, Bamboo. They are very much appreciated.

Historically speaking, who do we think has been our past player who most successfully made the transition from defence to midfield?

Brett Ratten is the name which most readily comes to mind for me, but I bet I am missing some other great choices.

I’d be interested to know why the under 18’s moved Billy onball in the second half of the season. Whether it was out of necessity (injuries), or just that they saw his skill set evolving that way.

Historically speaking, who do we think has been our past player who most successfully made the transition from defence to midfield?

Brett Ratten is the name which most readily comes to mind for me, but I bet I am missing some other great choices.

I’d be interested to know why the under 18’s moved Billy onball in the second half of the season. Whether it was out of necessity (injuries), or just that they saw his skill set evolving that way.
Not sure why they moved him into the midfield, but once the Stingrays did during the 2nd half of the season, his game exploded - like he was finally off the leash with his run and dash.

He didn't have a great U18 Championships, which may well be a reason he flew under the radar through the media - but in at least one of those games, the coaches used him as a lockdown defender, once was against Nick Watson!!!

Alex Marcou played a dashing role from the back pocket in the carlton seconds side 4 several eye-catching rounds before it became evident that his pace was so rare as well as his evasiveness that it was needed around the ball in the senior side.... Wayne Harmes also came in as a back pocket and played there in the seniors however was moved into the middle and even forward when there was a crisis and the team needed a lift for example the 1979 Grand Final he was moved from the back pocket to the Centre after Collingwood kicked the first five goals and we hadn't scored a major in the wet until halfway through the second quarter....Of course it went on to win the inaugural Norm Smith's medal that fateful day

Last edited:
Alex Marcou played a dashing role from the back pocket in the carlton seconds side 4 several eye-catching rounds before it became evident that his pace was so rare as well as his evasiveness that it was needed around the ball in the senior side.... Wayne Harmes also came in as a back pocket and played there in the seniors however was moved into the middle and even forward when there was a crisis and the team needed a lift for example the 1979 Grand Final he was moved from the back pocket to the Centre after Collingwood kicked the first five goals and we hadn't scored a major in the wet until halfway through the second quarter....Of course it went on to win the inaugural Norm Smith's medal that fateful day
Thanks for those observations! I started barracking for Carlton from grand final day, 1982. I think I knew about Harmes, but had forgotten. I must admit I am more sketchy on anything to do with Alex Marcou.

Thank you 😊

I know he started as a dynamic mid/forward, but who can forget Ronald Dale Barassi throwing the great man himself Tiger Crosswell from fullback to the guts in the GF for the Roos.

The energy and just the vision of that energy steaming out of ol Tiger as he sprinted into the guts, chest puffed out, inspired a comeback from his mates.

Lasting footy memories.

Mate, you still working on those guns?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a direct result of Crazy Vossy at Brisbane and his moneyball approach. Looks like he rightly leaves it all to the experts now.

I hope it's because we've become a professional organisation, where the list manager and recruiters pick a list that matches the strategic plan of the club.

Coaches should have input but not be the decision maker, irrespective of who they are.

Kouta

Might be a really good get for us. There may be other types we feel we need more but they need to be very high level and at this stage likely aren't available. In coming years our older players are smaller defenders so we are thinking ahead. Plenty of time to develop.

Was Kouta a defender first? I genuinely don’t remember it. That game early in his career where he first picked up the ball one handed, felt like he was playing wing.
Was Kouta a mid, fwd, defender or ruck?

Answer: Yes.

Lets hope so.

Chap called Wayne Harmes did it regularly after half time in matches.................

Remove this Banner Ad

Back