Senior 35. Billy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

They’ve ditched * 😂

it's a quandary, you follow a club all your life, have a child that gets picked up by not just another club but the hated arch-enemy - I understand your children come before your footy club (pretty sure) but how would you go dropping your 20, 30, 40 year support to switch teams and follow your child's dream? take it underground? haven't read of parents who continue to follow their old club in these situations but reckon they might be out there..........

Alex Marcou played a dashing role from the back pocket in the carlton seconds side 4 several eye-catching rounds before it became evident that his pace was so rare as well as his evasiveness that it was needed around the ball in the senior side.... Wayne Harmes also came in as a back pocket and played there in the seniors however was moved into the middle and even forward when there was a crisis and the team needed a lift for example the 1979 Grand Final he was moved from the back pocket to the Centre after Collingwood kicked the first five goals and we hadn't scored a major in the wet until halfway through the second quarter....Of course it went on to win the inaugural Norm Smith's medal that fateful day

Alex Marcou played most of 1978 in the reserves in the back pocket and it was clear his dash and pace and elusiveness were a cut above - his year’s development in the reserves was crucial to his blossoming as a senior player in 1979.

I had the great pleasure of standing in the forward pocket (Heatley Stand end) with his family during those years - his mum was a treasure.

Great times.

:D

it's a quandary, you follow a club all your life, have a child that gets picked up by not just another club but the hated arch-enemy - I understand your children come before your footy club (pretty sure) but how would you go dropping your 20, 30, 40 year support to switch teams and follow your child's dream? take it underground? haven't read of parents who continue to follow their old club in these situations but reckon they might be out there..........
Or even players - e.g. Harmes.

bPeM0Pnr.jpg

guaranteed cult

If my kid ever plays for *

He's dead to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his hip think we'd be stupid not to ease him in the VFL for most of his first year anyway.

Could see him getting a brief run while Hollands is serving his suspension, but I think the longer term view would be to start Eli in that forward role, and as he progresses to the midfield bring Moir in behind him after a solid development block.

Wilson will, I suspect, have to bide his time for a bit too. Having played off half back is a boon though, as even if we intend to play him as a mid there could be opportunities for him to come in as a mid/defensive rotation off the bench. Could be a very handy sub option later in the year as well, to give him a bit of a taste.

Sorry to intrude blue-baggers, but you really got a good one in Billy. Such a good kid, will work hard at his footy and is humble too.
I’d be interested to know why the under 18’s moved Billy onball in the second half of the season. Whether it was out of necessity (injuries), or just that they saw his skill set evolving that way.

To answer this question, Billy was always a midfielder in his junior years, but with Harry and Cooper at Stingrays they made a conscious decision to turn him into a back flanker to give him the best chance at getting drafted as well as get some leadership and speed in their backline. But he had such a good year for Stingrays they decided he deserved to get some games in as an inside mid and he just went back to his natural game.

Seriously wish him and Carlton all the best.

Just to put it to bed, you’ve obviously seen a fair bit of his footy, what’s his kicking like littledemon?

Some of our keyboard recruiters were quite scathing straight after the pick was taken

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just to put it to bed, you’ve obviously seen a fair bit of his footy, what’s his kicking like littledemon?

Some of our keyboard recruiters were quite scathing straight after the pick was taken

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He is a really good kick at hitting a target. When he puts on the wheels and gives himself a little space to lift the eyes he will find a player to get it to. Expect a lot of inside 50's hitting his mark once he gets to know his team mates capabilities.

The only time I see his kicking fail to be honest is when he is running inside 50 and kicking for goal. Mostly because he hasn't been required to do this much at this level, and because he is more of a team player not always trusting he is in a better position for a shot than others.

He can get flustered in the pack sometimes and goes for a quick handpass when under pressure, but will usually then put himself into a position to get the ball back and break away. Hard to do this at Champs when everyone wants to look good and plays a selfish game. He will excel in the professional team environment of a welcoming club.

You could well be right - in which case my humble apologies

:think:
No I think you are right, and his mum is just a hottie who is very young looking. There is a piccie of them again, along with Carroll and his folks on the page where Austin is talking about why he chose who he did in the draft. Not a knock on Wilson, but can anyone tell me why Austin decided on him as most of the talk leading up to the second day of the draft was about his team mate Simpson being our likely choice at pick 34....just wondering, as Fremantle pounced on him straight after us like they had just got a bargain.....o_O

No I think you are right, and his mum is just a hottie who is very young looking. There is a piccie of them again, along with Carroll and his folks on the page where Austin is talking about why he chose who he did in the draft. Not a knock on Wilson, but can anyone tell me why Austin decided on him as most of the talk leading up to the second day of the draft was about his team mate Simpson being our likely choice at pick 34....just wondering, as Fremantle pounced on him straight after us like they had just got a bargain.....o_O
someone on the freo board sure rates him:

"Reminds me a bit of Chris Judd only a bit faster with a better kick".

Not a knock on Wilson, but can anyone tell me why Austin decided on him as most of the talk leading up to the second day of the draft was about his team mate Simpson being our likely choice at pick 34....just wondering, as Fremantle pounced on him straight after us like they had just got a bargain.....o_O
Yep, I can tell you.

It's because Austin and the list management team put a power of work into all aspects of a player both on and off the field over a long period before they eventually select them. If he's available at the pick, they'll select him.

And "most of the talk" on Simpson leading into the second day was from keyboard list managers on a website who got seduced by a 2 minute highlights package - and I was one of them. He may well go on to become a good player for Freo, but personally I think we got a good one with Billy.

Yep, I can tell you.

It's because Austin and the list management team put a power of work into all aspects of a player both on and off the field over a long period before they eventually select them. If he's available at the pick, they'll select him.

And "most of the talk" on Simpson leading into the second day was from keyboard list managers on a website who got seduced by a 2 minute highlights package - and I was one of them. He may well go on to become a good player for Freo, but personally I think we got a good one with Billy.
It`s unusual, but both Wilson and former Stingray Binns who we got last draft have the exact same build.....as in 183cm and 72kg (ringing wet!), so hopefully they can both add some muscle to their bods over time, but then again seeing as "Simmo" hardly put on any weight at all during his career of over 300 games, perhaps it really doesn`t mean that much.......:think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back