Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

2 games in a row now even when the team is down and games pretty much done he's still wanted to take the game on first the run vs gold coast now his goal vs dogs. This kid shows hunger and shows a perfect example for the rest of the team. Can't wait till he's had another pre season where he's bulked up. He's a gem
I must’ve looked miserable (based on how I felt) by that stage in the last quarter, but his goal and celebration illicited a massive cheer from the crowd where I was sitting which was pretty infectious

Charlie could have had 3 or 4 goals today if teammates could see him streaming inside 50 on the fat side. Memo to the whole team - instead of kicking to an outnumber in the hot spot, look for Charlie; he's almost always free and in a dangerous position.
He wears his heart on his sleeve as well - the kind of bloke who seems to bring everything he's got. Was stiff to have one free paid against him, and somebody else gave one away that he thought had been paid against him as well - he was hopping mad.

Soon enough when the team is working better as a unit he'll get his rewards.

The biggest gain by the end of this year would be the consolidation for simpkin, LDU; injury free season for Thomas, Scott; effective introduction to afl footy for phillips and powell. The atu, bonar, young, stephenson are all bonus. If we play our cards right, we basically revamp the list with a dozen young players with the necessary skills for modern football by the end of this year. Gamebreaking stuff.

He wears his heart on his sleeve as well - the kind of bloke who seems to bring everything he's got. Was stiff to have one free paid against him, and somebody else gave one away that he thought had been paid against him as well - he was hopping mad.

Soon enough when the team is working better as a unit he'll get his rewards.
Gave Ray a good animated spray for a dodgy htb. Was brilliant.

Last edited:
Gets forgotten about a bit here with the 2x Rolls Royces in Phillips & Powell, but love his work.

A real feature of his game is the link up and burst run into F50. Similar to what Stephenson did in the 3Q against Adelaide, Charlie has had a run like that nearly every game.
I’m liking the pace around the edges; if you look at the replay of the goal that cam zurhaar butchered in the 1st qtr, LDU cruises down the middle of the field, outpacing blokes who are going full tilt, and ahead of him, both Scott and Stephenson put metres on their direct opponents. Then as you say, Charlie puts in a burst or two every game and suddenly we look a whole lot quicker by foot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m liking the pace around the edges; if you look at the replay of the goal that cam zurhaar butchered in the 1st qtr, LDU cruises down the middle of the field, outpacing blokes who are going full tilt, and ahead of him, both Scott and Stephenson put metres on their direct opponents. Then as you say, Charlie puts in a burst or two every game and suddenly we look a whole lot quicker by foot
Hey Merlin007 ....really enjoying your views on the VFL side too mate.....go a question, how quick does Ford appear? He looked pretty agile with a bit of toe in his draft vid.

Hey Merlin007 ....really enjoying your views on the VFL side too mate.....go a question, how quick does Ford appear? He looked pretty agile with a bit of toe in his draft vid.
thanks for the shout out! Ford is plenty quick enough; he's a good athlete. At the moment, his strengths are actually ground ball - good hands around the contest, doesn't shirk the contact and will scrap for the ball. When he can get separation, his marking his fine - the challenge at the moment is to take some contested grabs. He flies at everything - obviously a big tick - but they aren't sticking. I don't think it's his hands - it's just a teenager finding that bouncing men out of the way is a challenge

Gets forgotten about a bit here with the 2x Rolls Royces in Phillips & Powell, but love his work.

I think the most exciting part of the last draft is that Lazzaro is the forgotten triplet. When Phillips is smashing blokes to give Powell first use, that ball is going to Charlie. He's gonna be key.

One year of Higgins.

The biggest gain by the end of this year would be the consolidation for simpkin, LDU; injury free season for Thomas, Scott; effective introduction to afl footy for phillips and powell. The atu, bonar, young, stephenson are all bonus. If we play our cards right, we basically revamp the list with a dozen young players with the necessary skills for modern football by the end of this year. Gamebreaking stuff.

It’s refreshing isn’t it?

Hopefully gets his hands on the pill a few more times this week. Only 7 the last two weeks, but managed 17 against the dogs which makes it much less of a worry. Very energetic and infectious personality by the looks of it, have been quite enjoy his long runs forward and he knows how to celebrate a goal. He and Stepho seem to be the main two willing/able to do some proper gut running forward to be an option, and both have some nice wheels too. Definitely not bad for our third pick in the draft.

thanks for the shout out! Ford is plenty quick enough; he's a good athlete. At the moment, his strengths are actually ground ball - good hands around the contest, doesn't shirk the contact and will scrap for the ball. When he can get separation, his marking his fine - the challenge at the moment is to take some contested grabs. He flies at everything - obviously a big tick - but they aren't sticking. I don't think it's his hands - it's just a teenager finding that bouncing men out of the way is a challenge

Could be easier to get separation at AFL level than VFL at times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Exactly as I hoped you would write mate. Looking forward to him debuting later in year or even next, he’s got great tools.

I really want to see pheonix spicer, the name in itself exudes confidence and excitmenet. He could be the winston abraham figure we've missing since early 2000s.

For me it is, i've been waiting for this for 20 years but due to our 'cash strapped' status, we could officially rebuild until to we have sorted out our debt situation, which by all accounts, we have.

Agree. Though I didn’t quite expect to be as bad as we currently are (which is in part due to to a poor run of luck), it’s lookinh good for 2-3 years time.

Agree. Though I didn’t quite expect to be as bad as we currently are (which is in part due to to a poor run of luck), it’s lookinh good for 2-3 years time.

We are not doing bad, we simply have too many players who are not used to be in the same team.

The team should start to gel towards the end of the year and this is where the big if comes in, if our development department is at least par level to afl, the new players should be transitioned to the second year.

For new players, 2nd year is usually the most difficult due to 'second year blues'.

Injury front should address itself if we could find the best positions for the right players. When you are doing tasks that suits your skills, you are far less likely going to injury yourself. For instance, if you get a construction worker to do ballet and vice versa....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back