Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The hair is pretty funny.

He's much better than Clarke imo. Would be capable of Clarkes outside game but can go hard at the ball, isn't scared of contact and can hit a target by hand at 3 metres.
I did say a far more capable version of Clarke, who was a ball magnet in spite of all his limitations. Even a similar running style to each other. Even then, Laz is quicker.

Last edited:
I think most clubs would use him wing and half forward or even half back

He’s got speed and clean skills so I’m confident he’d make a position work that utilises these strengths
I reckon we have better options now in those positions and the competition is just going to get tougher as we draft more outside types to go with our mids.

Not at all. Clarke is a magnet, just can't kick or handball for sh*t.
Laz is smaller, but they have a similar running gait and ability to collect. Laz also, albeit more unproven, appears a far better version in several key areas.

Last edited:

He is a honest go-er, just cracks in and gets to work.

There is just something about him, I know he’ll make it at AFL level.
I agree with that. If he stays with us though it's easy to see him as that peripheral player that could have had a great career at another club.

He's two inches shorter and hasn't shown anywhere near Clarke's ball-winning ability. He's a lot like Clarke in that he's almost nothing like him.
I do withdraw the size remark. Both gut-running style mids with scant room in their midfields, both probably best suited to the inside, similar running style, proven ball winners at junior levels, and Laz has showed he could collect plenty of the pill at vfl level. Obviously not as proven as Clarke, but there are some similarities in addition to the differences. Agree with Ferbs, he has the attributes to be a far better player.

Last edited:
He is a honest go-er, just cracks in and gets to work.

There is just something about him, I know he’ll make it at AFL level.

He is possibly a player who might leave for more opportunity too. If we get lucky with injuries and everyone lives up to their potential.

Jed left Hawthorn at the height of their success because he couldn't get a game. there is a chance the same happens with Lazz and honestly I wouldn't begrudge him if he found himself in that position.

But hopefully it won't come to that.

I reckon he should be trying to model his game on Karl Amon from Port. Hard running wingman, who can also impact the contest. Accountable, but also gets forward to rack up the inside 50’s. Amon is only 2cm and a couple of kg’s heavier and he was never able to get a centre square spot in Port’s midfield…I envisage that Lazz will have the same issue here.

I think anyone taking a second look at the intra games would have to start thinking……
This bloke actually ticks a hell of a lot of boxes
Sort of like Mahony, he is right under your nose, goes at it 110% but doesn’t quite have perhaps the super obvious talent or the style of the Top 20 picks
Well ok but…
If we are prioritizing pace as a team he is Very likely
He seems to play pretty aggro, quick, good hands, And likes a goal
This is Ando revisited, play him like a Lachie Neale
Pretty confident he will be in the 22 Rnd 1 next year once we get a better handle on how the team is structured

big opportunity for charlie with aaron hall being out imo. he has all the tools to be that creative half back. not sure if the club plans to use him that way but i hope they see it too

I think anyone taking a second look at the intra games would have to start thinking……
This bloke actually ticks a hell of a lot of boxes
Sort of like Mahony, he is right under your nose, goes at it 110% but doesn’t quite have perhaps the super obvious talent or the style of the Top 20 picks
Well ok but…
If we are prioritizing pace as a team he is Very likely
He seems to play pretty aggro, quick, good hands, And likes a goal
This is Ando revisited, play him like a Lachie Neale
Pretty confident he will be in the 22 Rnd 1 next year once we get a better handle on how the team is structured

His intra performance and his versatility and run have him in my round 1 team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could he be used off half back?
Some of best rebounding defenders in the league are his around height - Daniel, Saad, Lloyd, Short plus Salem & Rich (who are only a few cm taller)
Even Laird was a gun across half back before switching to the midfield.

I see why they call him lizard.

Mel_NM_prac-match-01.jpg

Surely playing round 1
Tend to agree. I have no idea if he will get overtaken in a few years by others or continue to build but he plays like a mature senior most of the time, runs out games and makes smart decisions - looks a footballer. Others with more obvious flashy skillsets need to drag his spot from him.

He is possibly a player who might leave for more opportunity too. If we get lucky with injuries and everyone lives up to their potential.

Jed left Hawthorn at the height of their success because he couldn't get a game. there is a chance the same happens with Lazz and honestly I wouldn't begrudge him if he found himself in that position.

But hopefully it won't come to that.
Really? Reckon he's playing Rd1 on today's performance, if we are true to having all positions open to who puts their hands up. I like him a lot and reckon he's got a bright future at Arden St.

I really like Charlie but always get the feeling the club are not convinced on him in spite of his senior opportunities to date.

Truly hope I'm wrong he just such a likeable and driven kid.
Life's pretty tough when you don't have a set position on field. Don't want to end up like hayden scrambling for a position in the 22 under the threat of delistment.

Eddie, Edwards, JHF and now Charlie.

We need more flowing Samson locks in the team, not less.

z42tgq7pcrf21.png

Time for Mahoney to take some Dimoxinil and show the way.

Kangalotto be gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back