Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe play him on the wing or better yet, as a mid.
Surely he's too small to play mid. Yes I know that's what they said about guys like Sam Mitchell, but Mitchell's footy smarts were off the charts. Lazz doesn't have half of that footy brain.

Would be open to sticking him on a wing, but does he have the pace/stamina to play there, and if not, will he be able to develop the necessary stamina? He's not slow per se, but he's not blisteringly quick either, and afaik his fitness doesn't stand out in comparison to the rest of the list.

I seriously think he'll be at a make or break point soon. He doesn't have enough attributes to justify keeping around for a few years. It's a cut throat business and if he can't make it on a wing or maybe as a forward pocket, even though he didn't play there as a junior, I wouldn't think much of his future prospects.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely he's too small to play mid. Yes I know that's what they said about guys like Sam Mitchell, but Mitchell's footy smarts were off the charts. Lazz doesn't have half of that footy brain.

Would be open to sticking him on a wing, but does he have the pace/stamina to play there, and if not, will he be able to develop the necessary stamina? He's not slow per se, but he's not blisteringly quick either, and afaik his fitness doesn't stand out in comparison to the rest of the list.

I seriously think he'll be at a make or break point soon. He doesn't have enough attributes to justify keeping around for a few years. It's a cut throat business and if he can't make it on a wing or maybe as a forward pocket, even though he didn't play there as a junior, I wouldn't think much of his future prospects.
Weren’t both McKay and Lazz setting speed records over the summer?

I thought Lazz’s strengths were his speed, good read of the play, endurance and neat skills, especially by hand. Sounds like a handy mid.

I think it is clear we need to shift our concept of what success means for North and realise that we will only get there by actually developing our young players in roles that maximise their talents while developing a successful game plan that can eventually be played from the player’s bodies rather than their minds.

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Weren’t both McKay and Lazz setting speed records over the summer?

I thought Lazz’s strengths were his speed, good read of the play, endurance and neat skills, especially by hand. Sounds like a handy mid.

I think it is clear we need to shift our concept of what success means for North and realise that we will only get there by actually developing our young players in roles that maximise their talents while developing a successful game plan that can eventually be played from the player’s bodies rather than their minds.
Situations in training and games where players show speed differ quite a bit. Lazz might've been setting records in training, but I don't recall him ever going on a blistering run in a game. With McKay, his closing speed is fantastic, but I can't envision him running the ball outside the defensive 50.

As for Lazz, size and strength are clear weaknesses. If you lack both of those you're gonna have a rough time of it in the middle. Jy navigates his lack of size with his tenaciousness and agility, but Lazz's even smaller than Jy and doesn't appear to have the same baulking skills. It's a tough one to work out where he might play his best footy. A wing/high half forward who gets involved in stoppages forward of centre would be my best guess based on the summation you've given of his strengths

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Situations in training and games where players show speed differ quite a bit. Lazz might've been setting records in training, but I don't recall him ever going on a blistering run in a game. With McKay, his closing speed is fantastic, but I can't envision him running the ball outside the defensive 50.

As for Lazz, size and strength are clear weaknesses. If you lack both of those you're gonna have a rough time of it in the middle. Jy navigates his lack of size with his tenaciousness and agility, but Lazz's even smaller than Jy and doesn't appear to have the same baulking skills. It's a tough one to work out where he might play his best footy. A wing/high half forward who gets involved in stoppages forward of centre would be my best guess based on the summation you've given of his strengths
I feel like blistering runs is the only (memorable) thing Lazz has ever done at AFL level.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'm pretty sure he kicked his first goal having shown a clean pair of heels to the opposition going into 50

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wtf is happening with Charlie ? showed promise last year, appeared to work pretty hard on his pace with extra work in the pre season, but the games i have seen him in so far, both seniors and vfl, looks to be actually regressing instead of developing.
Has always looked a bit lost on a flank. His best games as a first year player were on ball in the VFL. We've come to the realisation he's not getting a gig in our midfield.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
serz who on earth decided it was a good idea to give him and spicer extensions? this guy especially 2 years extra? yes he showed he can kick and run but wasnt didnt show that much flair to earn 2 years straight away. powell and philips i understand but not him

serz who on earth decided it was a good idea to give him and spicer extensions? this guy especially 2 years extra? yes he showed he can kick and run but wasnt didnt show that much flair to earn 2 years straight away. powell and philips i understand but not him
Did you say anything remotely like this when he was signed last year or are you only a genius in hindsight?

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Turn him into our next Ben Jacobs but in our forward line.

Give him a lock-down/run with task on the Saad, Ash and Docherty’s of the AFL - guys who their team deliberately go through to get rebound and run out of their backline.

I would play him on Hall if he were playing against us.

He’s never going to be Chris Judd so we need to use Lizard’s speed somehow..

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Give him a lock-down/run with task on the Saad, Ash and Docherty’s of the AFL - guys who their team deliberately go through to get rebound and run out of their backline.

I like it Sherm.

I think he can play the Sam Gibson (no sarcasm) role too. Cover the ground to provide a get-out option as the play works through each line.

I like it Sherm.

I think he can play the Sam Gibson (no sarcasm) role too. Cover the ground to provide a get-out option as the play works through each line.
Might have to work on unfixing his kicking first.

(That's a joke btw.)

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah like that. He’d be someone to try on a guy like Caleb Daniel in future. If I recall correctly his elite attribute during draft testing was his agility. Coupled with his burst pace he’d be a good match for him.

Back