Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Charlie Lazzaro has quickly become a fan-favourite due to his high energy and infectious personality, boldly claiming on the record that he is now “royal blue and white for life”.

Lazzaro missed last weekend’s clash with Fremantle due to injury, but prior to that had played in each of the first five rounds of the season.

A legitimate option in multiple positions across the ground, Brown says Lazzaro’s natural versatility has helped him develop into an AFL standard player so rapidly.

“He’s got an incredible energy and vibrancy about him, he’s very go, go, go, and he’s a real ball-hunter with great lateral speed and power,” he said.

“Those attributes are why the club drafted him. He’s certainly taken his opportunity with both hands and we think he’s going really well.

“To be able to put him in three different positions within the normal space of a game is really helping him because he’s getting a good understanding of what each of those positions need, and its only going to help him further down the line.”

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Charlie Lazzaro has quickly become a fan-favourite due to his high energy and infectious personality, boldly claiming on the record that he is now “royal blue and white for life”.

Lazzaro missed last weekend’s clash with Fremantle due to injury, but prior to that had played in each of the first five rounds of the season.

A legitimate option in multiple positions across the ground, Brown says Lazzaro’s natural versatility has helped him develop into an AFL standard player so rapidly.

“He’s got an incredible energy and vibrancy about him, he’s very go, go, go, and he’s a real ball-hunter with great lateral speed and power,” he said.

“Those attributes are why the club drafted him. He’s certainly taken his opportunity with both hands and we think he’s going really well.

“To be able to put him in three different positions within the normal space of a game is really helping him because he’s getting a good understanding of what each of those positions need, and its only going to help him further down the line.”
I love Lizard. His endeavour could never be questioned. Blue n white for life

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love Lizard. His endeavour could never be questioned. Blue n white for life
Look alike to Mathew McConoughey
085B5B25-EB41-46D2-B8B8-EC8788DFA6E1.jpeg
ACACCB1E-9024-4358-9C6B-21148B18BCEE.jpeg

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hardest worker we have in the side I reckon. Doesn't slow down even when the game is dying, can run all day, I love how he plays on too, just backs in his speed and he's a pretty handy kick.

He's got some skills to tidy up, such as knowing when to slow it down a little and not run over the ball and clean work at the ground level, but that's all within his wheelhouse to fix. Going to be an incredible player once he hits 25.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lacks the tank, but he has a fair dinkum crack.
Does he lack a tank though? I'm almost always noticing him running hard late in the second half, gut running down the wing, and usually the only other bloke capable of doing that by then is Stepho.

Would like him to get more of the footy. But this is all a bonus for him. He should be playing VFL to learn, and instead he's having it fast tracked. Will learn plenty from running around with Baker and Langdon today

Does he lack a tank though? I'm almost always noticing him running hard late in the second half, gut running down the wing, and usually the only other bloke capable of doing that by then is Stepho.
Always gassed after that and then you don’t see him for a while, ie 66% tog. Shows he has got the right attitude, just not the tank to match. Needs to stay in to build that afl fitness as the vfl is a crap show.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
66% game time would suggest the coaches are still working on his endurance
Always gassed after that and then you don’t see him for a while, ie 66% tog. Shows he has got the right attitude, just not the tank to match. Needs to stay in to build that afl fitness as the vfl is a crap show.
Fair enough, hadn't taken notice of his TOG. I wonder if they hold him back specifically for later in the game simply because he can gut run at pace and that's when we need it most.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Ran out the game well. Ball handling skills let him down on occasion. I think he'll make it as a player.

Reminds me a bit of a young Boomer, but with inferior ball handling skills (at the moment)

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Draft write ups desribed him as an inside mid, so he is learning to play a new role and is improving every week. Looks like being a great pick up for a draft pick in the 30s

Back