Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He also mans the mark very well with these new rules. The number of times he instantly ran in and pressured the ball carrier as soon as the umpire called play on was great, especially compared to other players who just stand like statues even after the ump calls play on
It really shits me how lazy some blokes are with that, especially when it's an opponent kicking into the 50 from ~60 out. Just a tiny bit of pressure on that kick can make all the difference yet they invariably manage to get an extra couple of meters and kick almost unpressured.

Yep has plenty
Brings it out of the other players too.

He’s already such a barometer for us. As others have noted, works extremely hard to provide leads that more often than not go unrewarded by teammates.
His stats aren’t overwhelming, but he surely won’t learn anything playing in the two’s. Keeping him in the team is good for him and the team as a whole I think.

Saw so many unrewarded efforts on Saturday. And the opposition were paying him no attention. Sooner or later the other boys need to start sending the ball his way, because he has the potential to really do some damage and catch a few teams out.

In a better performing team his numbers would be up. None of our wingers or half forwards seem to be getting much ball.

I think he will turn into a quality winger in time, not sure if he will graduate to an inside mid roll? A very neat player with a couple of elite traits. Good in the air too for his size. I see him as an eventual upgrade on Dumont.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. But it's a bit puzzling that he was drafted as an inside mid who was described as being a little slow IIRC. Seems completely opposite of that.

nice to see charlie getting some hype from the club. i feel like he's flying under the radar massively, he's having a huge year and will only improve from here

nice to see charlie getting some hype from the club. i feel like he's flying under the radar massively, he's having a huge year and will only improve from here
Absolutely agree with you. This kid has so much energy, passion and he has speed. Importantly he's one of just a few two way runners we have in the team right now so you see him more often than not as an option when others are lagging behind. Yeah he needs to develop a lot more strength and there are a lot of rough edges still but he's going to be a player.

There was a moment in the game when he got sold a dummy by an Essendon player, who then waltzed into goal. This won't happen next time. You can just tell he wants to learn and absorb everything the coaches feed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Building nicely. He definitely has a bit of X Factor about him, but works hard also...
Every time he gets the ball I feel like something is good is going to happen.
He has great agility & bust of speed.
Matching his traits with that energy & eagerness to learn & improve, he will be a ripper IMO.

We have a tendency to ignore this bloke when he's free then throw the hot potato at him as he gets sold and crunched.

We need to be better than that.

Same thing happens to Powell, is always available for the short one just after a mark is taken. Inevitably looked off until later when he is less free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back