Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Attach him to Aaron Hall's hip.

Bolt is only hitting a top speed 44km/hr late in his 100m sprint, his average speed as you highlighted would be in the high 30s. Lazzaro in theory at the 60m mark could still be accelerating as is the norm with high performance over 100m
I think its about 60m in that Bolt hits that speed.

Yeah it is. Check this out:

Its an interesting read, not just cos its a breakdown of his races. And his average speed when he runs under 9.7 is about 37 km/hr.

And yeah who knows just how fast Chazlaz gets in a 100m race. 40+ km/hr? I wonder how he'd go against national ranked sprinters

I think its about 60m in that Bolt hits that speed.

Yeah it is. Check this out:

Its an interesting read, not just cos its a breakdown of his races. And his average speed when he runs under 9.7 is about 37 km/hr.

And yeah who knows just how fast Chazlaz gets in a 100m race. 40+ km/hr? I wonder how he'd go against national ranked sprinters
Low 7s for 60, i reckon hed be sub 11s ferbs. Bloody quick

I really really like this kid. His ceiling is bloody high. His professionalism and leadership really stands out.

He played his best footy in juniors as a genuine centre square mid. Don’t mind the idea of half back, but I think he’ll be best suited to a wing role where he can play as that extra mid around the stoppages.

10 minutes in and it's quite interesting. I frequently find the interviews by these smaller podcasts to be leagues above what the official media puts out.

No ego and genuine interest in the subject matter.

Will go absolutely nowhere in the football media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just jotted a few notes as I listened along while doing a few other things, hopefully don't get anything wrong or miss anything particularly interesting.

Wants to be a leader and instantly named Jy when asked about what leaders in the club he looks up to. He learnt to play the piano, nice. Payed too much attention to social media in his early days but he's more balanced with it these days, and the club has helped with that. Cited some advice that helped shape him as a person and a footballer: "be kind to your self".

Started in the 22 (23 I suppose) round one and then was managed round 6 then played until the bye, but hurt his knee and worked his way back through the VFL, played round 18 and was then dropped for the first time in his life. Was shattered. Played that game against the bombers up in Metricon when we were expecting to be there a while, but then when we came back he was told that Cunners and Jed were coming back in and that he was out. Looking back on it he sees it as another reality check for him, so a blessing in disguise.

Physically developed early but plateaued at about 14. Realised that he was never going to grow into a bigger body unlike some of his competitors so felt he had to put in extra work to ensure he got drafted, so he didn't really drink alcohol roughly until draft time, among other things. No stones unturned mindset. Pre draft he was even doing hot yoga, but things like that became harder to do because of COVID ******* things up but he was still able to do some skills and training with his brother.

Yet another shoutout for big Tommy C.

Fitter, Stronger, Bigger are basically his three aims in the offseason. As part of that he's doing the Speed Project (as we've seen from instagram posts), and one reason he chose that is awareness of his physical size so he's looking for any attribute he can exploit. Last pre season he followed Jy around like a lost puppy peppering him with questions, and this offseason he's partnered with Ben Mckay a lot especially as they're in the Speed Project together.

I think we have a good one here. Seems to have a damn good mindset. Combines the ability to be heavily driven and emotionally involved so that he can push himself, yet understands not to set unrealistic expectations, and is also able to intellectualise the sport and industry so that he can look at things objectively.

Last edited:
I rewatched the interview with the 4 draftees on youtube this afternoon.
TC gets a mention or 2 in there too.
Real father figure to a lot of the younger guys.
Sad to see him leave to go to another club. Would have loved him in a developmental capacity.

Just jotted a few notes as I listened along while doing a few other things, hopefully don't get anything wrong or miss anything particularly interesting.

Wants to be a leader and instantly named Jy when asked about what leaders in the club he looks up to. He learnt to play the piano, nice. Payed too much attention to social media in his early days but he's more balanced with it these days, and the club has helped with that. Cited some advice that helped shape him as a person and a footballer: "be kind to your self".

Started in the 22 (23 I suppose) round one and then was managed round 6 then played until the bye, but hurt his knee and worked his way back through the VFL, played round 18 and was then dropped for the first time in his life. Was shattered. Played that game against the bombers up in Metricon when we were expecting to be there a while, but then when we came back he was told that Cunners and Jed were coming back in and that he was out. Looking back on it he sees it as another reality check for him, so a blessing in disguise.

Physically developed early but plateaued at about 14. Realised that he was never going to grow into a bigger body unlike some of his competitors so felt he had to put in extra work to ensure he got drafted, so he didn't really drink alcohol roughly until draft time, among other things. No stones unturned mindset. Pre draft he was even doing hot yoga, but things like that became harder to do because of COVID ******* things up but he was still able to do some skills and training with his brother.

Fitter, Stronger, Bigger are basically his three aims in the offseason. As part of that he's doing the Speed Project (as we've seen from instagram posts), and one reason he chose that is awareness of his physical size so he's looking for any attribute he can exploit. Last pre season he followed Jy around like a lost puppy peppering him with questions, and this offseason he's partnered with Ben Mckay a lot especially as they're in the Speed Project together.

I think we have a good one here. Seems to have a damn good mindset. Combines the ability to be heavily driven and emotionally involved so that he can push himself, yet understands not to set unrealistic expectations, and is also able to intellectualise the sport and industry so that he can look at things objectively.
Thanks for the TLDR.
Good to see Lazz has identified his weaknesses and what he can exploit in the football world to have a long career.
His hard work will show in 2022 and I want him to capture that HB/Wing role that I know his endurance and speed is suited for.
Fantastic pickup for the Roos, especially when most were scratching their heads asking whos that guy on draft night.

He really is someone you want to see succeed purely based on his attitude and personality alone.

Interesting player, who we need to see a bit more of to work out where he best fits.

I sense many of us can’t quite squeeze him to our best 22 at the moment, which says a lot about the young talent we’ve got coming through.

For me, he is competing with Mahoney as the small, pressure forward option with perhaps a few more tricks, or he’s Jed Anderson midfield depth with a bit more speed but not quite quite the physicality.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back