Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t mind also seeing him trialled as a small forward. Has the physical attributes for it I would have thought

His ability as a link up player stood out last year when he played in the VFL, reckon he will be a massive asset on the wing.

His ability as a link up player stood out last year when he played in the VFL, reckon he will be a massive asset on the wing.
I agree I like him on the wing too, but we have other players that can play through there. Small forward has the least depth on the list for mine so would like to see what he can offer as I think he needs to be on the park

he doesn't offer enough in the pressure dept to play small forward imo.

he doesn't offer enough in the pressure dept to play small forward imo.

Respectfully disagree SB1 - Laz shares the drive that Mahoney has. I'm confident that worst case he could make a relentless pressure forward.

Personally I think we've seen enough already to suggest he will find a spot further up the ground, though.

I've got a feeling it's not going to take long for this kid to have a breakout year (I'm tipping 2023).

He is just the ultimate professional and is leaving no stone unturned to get the absolute best out of himself.
If they give him a run of 3-4 games nobes will come out looking impressed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread deserves a bump.

He was bloody good early yesterday. Matching it with JY and LDU for a little while, even beat them and shut them down at times. Not bad considering he is yet to play his second season and has only played half a season of footy.

Was very good in the midfield but when at afl level he will be wing/half forward

You nailed it, “was very good in the midfield” and I wish that is where the conversation stopped for the Lizard. Obviously in the guts is his and many many other footballers over the journey best position, but when it comes to a place in a senior teams 22 blokes like him find themselves out of position on a flank or in a pocket or on the wing and we wonder why they don’t have a good game. It’s unfortunate and many a player I feel over the years have missed their true callings of being a really good on baller due to being down the pecking order. He had a lot of the pill in his two praccy matches for the falcons in the guts in his draft year and again yesterday we saw what he can produce on the ball if given the chance.

Was very good in the midfield but when at afl level he will be wing/half forward
Its just awesome that we have all these other players we focus on and he pops up in the intra-club with 24 touches, 5 clearances and a goal.

He’s a cleaner, more contested, faster and neater version of Ryan Clarke. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Its just awesome that we have all these other players we focus on and he pops up in the intra-club with 24 touches, 5 clearances and a goal.
Wouldn’t have been that long ago we’d be fapping over the game he played yesterday. He was really good. None of the blokes ahead of him would want to give him a sniff of their spot. He might not give it up.

He’s a cleaner, more contested, faster and neater version of Ryan Clarke. Not necessarily a bad thing.
The hair is pretty funny.

He's much better than Clarke imo. Would be capable of Clarkes outside game but can go hard at the ball, isn't scared of contact and can hit a target by hand at 3 metres.

Wouldn’t have been that long ago we’d be fapping over the game he played yesterday. He was really good. None of the blokes ahead of him would want to give him a sniff of their spot. He might not give it up.
Yeah very true.

He could play 20 games this year if he gets a run early.

It really struck me watching yesterday. I can't remember a time when our depth was as good as this. I was too young to really know in the 70s but even under Pagan I don't think we had as many s**t hot footballers. And we had at least a dozen in the 90s. We could end up with guys like Lazz, WAP or Powell being role players. Scary thought.

I really like Lazzaro but this statement is very true and makes you wonder why we picked him after just taking Phillips and Powell with first rounders. I think we went best available. If he dominates in the VFL this year, he would probably be better off asking for a trade to be honest.

I really like Lazzaro but this statement is very true and makes you wonder why we picked him after just taking Phillips and Powell with first rounders. I think we went best available. If he dominates in the VFL this year, he would probably be better off asking for a trade to be honest.
I think most clubs would use him wing and half forward or even half back

He’s got speed and clean skills so I’m confident he’d make a position work that utilises these strengths

Remove this Banner Ad

Back