Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's a future leader

YWJ54g.gif

Lazzaro living the dream
North Melbourne draftee Charlie Lazzaro can reflect on his first AFL pre-season with pride.
By Dan Woods - North Media

With round one quickly approaching, North Melbourne draftee Charlie Lazzaro can reflect on his first AFL pre-season with pride.

Lazzaro was selected with the club's third pick at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft and has impressed in both of North’s competitive hit-outs, against St Kilda and Hawthorn.

The emerging midfielder says the last few months have been filled with 'pinch-yourself' moments, but he still had plenty of work to do.

“It’s so surreal to come into an AFL environment … but everyone gets drafted for a reason so you know your best is good enough,” Lazzaro told North Media.

“Running around with the likes of Jy Simpkin, Cam Zurhaar and Ben Cunnington … it’s definitely something to adapt to.

“I played a little bit on Brad Hill against St Kilda and there was a part of me that couldn’t believe it was happening … but at the end of the day, I knew I could hold my own on my own merit.”

Lazzaro said he was keen to justify his selection, having been selected at pick 36.

“I’m reasonably in the loop with what’s said in the media … I did see I was ranked pretty low, about 88th I think,” he said.

“At the end of the day it’s all opinions and I take it all with a pinch of salt … the support I’ve had from the club and my teammates, I can’t thank them enough.

“I’ve come into the club, put my head down and embraced every opportunity I’ve been given … I’m working towards what is hopefully a really successful year.”

Lazzaro has impressed so much in pre-season that he's well in the conversation for a round one debut.

While he knows nothing will be handed to him, he says he can’t wait to pull on the North jumper if the opportunity presents.

“All I’ve ever wanted to do is play in the AFL … footy is such a big part of my life and it would mean the absolute world to debut,” Lazzaro added.

“Obviously it’s not there yet and it is a bit of a waiting game, but it would be really special not only for me, but also for my family and friends.

“My family has sacrificed much time and effort throughout my junior career, so the opportunity to pay back some of the faith they’ve put in me would be really special.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back