Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watching him yesterday he reminded me of Ed Lower.

If Ed had a few yards of additional pace, better agility and better skills.

Ed was a promising player, so it’s no s**t can.

Charlie has 150+ game player written all over him. Looks like he could play anywhere from the center square to the forward pocket also. Very versatile.

Pocket rocket.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This bloke is sounding a lot like Peter Bell
That would be a result

Ed was a promising player, so it’s no sh*t can.

Charlie has 150+ game player written all over him. Looks like he could play anywhere from the center square to the forward pocket also. Very versatile.

Pocket rocket.

What’s his height listed as. Doesn’t look that small to me. Must be a head taller then Phillips

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR

Ed was a promising player, so it’s no sh*t can.

Pocket rocket.

They have the same gait/waddle.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What’s his height listed as. Doesn’t look that small to me. Must be a head taller then Phillips
I saw a writeup yesterday that described him as diminutive so I looked up his draft resume and it said 179 cm. That's exactly what I am and I have never thought of myself as diminutive but I guess all things are relative

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I saw a writeup yesterday that described him as diminutive so I looked up his draft resume and it said 179 cm. That's exactly what I am and I have never thought of myself as diminutive but I guess all things are relative
5'10' is quite small for a modern day footballer - that said Matty Rowell is 5'10" (178cm's) and Lachie Neal is 177cm's and they are/will be 2 of the best mids in the game.

Footy nous, dedication and talent will win out every time for these types of players - Charlie looks to have a number of positive attributes so the world is his oyster so to speak.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Height gets overplayed a bit.

The ball spends a hell of a lot more time below 200cms than above 200cms.

the difference between taking a mark, bringing the ball to ground and being out marked is really significant though. I think it turns games and likely leads to a lot of effective scoring one way or another. We’re trying something different but I’m convinced having big men to at least provide structure is crucial for finals success.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
the difference between taking a mark, bringing the ball to ground and being out marked is really significant though. I think it turns games and likely leads to a lot of effective scoring one way or another. We’re trying something different but I’m convinced having big men to at least provide structure is crucial for finals success.

That's not my point.

and yet that’s the repercussion of your point. Height is an important component of contesting and taking marks.

It is ,depending on your game plan.

Speed, space and nouce may be our game plan - less bomb it in to a contest than previous years.

Larkey will no doubt be bringing it to ground for our small/mid size forwards at times too.

TBH it’s the biggest question outstanding in my mind to understand how our forward line will work - in theory at least

I haven’t gotten much from match reports on this - any thoughts?

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How’s 24 seconds into the JZ match sim video. Jack pings the ball in low and hard to Charlie on the lead. It bursts through his hands, but he seemingly recovers from an inferior position to two defenders, picks up the footy, evades one but gets caught kind of by the second.

Freakish agility on display.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How’s 24 seconds into the JZ match sim video. Jack pings the ball in low and hard to Charlie on the lead. It bursts through his hands, but he seemingly recovers from an inferior position to two defenders, picks up the footy, evades one but gets caught kind of by the second.

Not just freakish agility when watching him.

He’s genuinely explosive over 10m.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not just freakish agility when watching him.

He’s genuinely explosive over 10m.

Was interesting on draft night when Sheehan said that he wasn't quick.

Given that not much was known about him around here to dismiss this claim, it was mildly concerning tbh, although I always found it strange that "experts" claimed he had elite agility but was "slow".

Very happy with what I've seen so far, appears to be a very dynamic, even explosive player.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Was interesting on draft night when Sheehan said that he wasn't quick.

Given that not much was known about him around here to dismiss this claim, it was mildly concerning tbh, although I always found it strange that "experts" claimed he had elite agility but was "slow".

Very happy with what I've seen so far, appears to be a very dynamic, even explosive player.

Separation is separation, whether it's straight ahead or lateral.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

great call. that was awesome sideways movement. i didnt notice it the first time i watched the clip. thanks.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Given his pre-season form in 2020, seems like he could easily have been a draft bolter if TAC had been played.
Looks likely:

Charlie Lazarro played 8 games as an underage player in 2019 for the Geelong Falcons. He was in the top two possession winners for his team in 6 of those 8 games. Across the 2019 TAC cup season for Geelong he was 2nd for average disposals per game (20), led the team in average clearances per game (4.1) 2nd for average contested possessions per game (9.5)

#
PlayerPositionKHBDMCPUPTHOCLRI50R50GL
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-109193811203610
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-811193128203311
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-158235815205140
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-109193127701110
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-75125410504100
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-9101921110907220
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-15112641015205320
8​
Charlie Lazzaro-11122321114405430

Lazzaro isn’t just an inside midfielder with a knack for winning contested ball. The Falcons product has agility in traffic – rating elite for this attribute at the pre-season testing day (7.79 seconds) – and a good burst of speed, breaking the three-second barrier in the 20m sprint at the Vic Country combine. Lazzaro was another Falcons prospect who put together an impressive bottom-age year, averaging 20 disposals and four clearances. His dominance in their two practice games earlier in the year pointed to a big year ahead, tallying 28 touches, six clearances and eight tackles per game.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jade Gresham - 179cm.
Charlie Lazzaro - 179cm.

Same agile, burst, highly skilled style of play. Might not be a full time mid, but capable across multiple lines. Damaging also with his movement, agility and ball use.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Looked good. Seemed straight into it at AFL pace in the same way Daniel Harris did.

Back