Past #35: Declan Watson - won't be offered a new contract - Thanks Dec

Declan Watson has started to increase his involvement in training, after suffering an ACL injury 10 months ago, which is a promising sign for youngster.

310518_Gallery9.jpg

Declan Watson.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Have a feeling he might be one of the sacrifces on the list season end. We have so many key defenders, especially with majak now being apart of that set up. See how he goes

I have to say, I know absolutely nothing about Watson. What I will say is, going by the above photo, he’s one impressive looking specimen. That’s a fair start, given he was good enough to land a deal with an AFL club. Now, the question is, can he step up like just about everybody else on our list has this season? Best of luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say, I know absolutely nothing about Watson. What I will say is, going by the above photo, he’s one impressive looking specimen. That’s a fair start, given he was good enough to land a deal with an AFL club. Now, the question is, can he step up like just about everybody else on our list has this season? Best of luck to him.

From his brief showings at VFL level he's looked just as impressive on ground, much as a Tom Murphy type is being lauded now. No doubt he's up against it but the potential is there if he can stay healthy. I wish the kid well also.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say we envisage him as a Scott Thompson clone. A bit of a tweener KPD/third tall, but with a strong intercept game.

Hope he’s able to do enough to earn himself another year.
Reckon he's almost a certainty for a renewal given the club's propensity for giving these guys recovering from a long termer another chance.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Declan Watson has started to increase his involvement in training, after suffering an ACL injury 10 months ago, which is a promising sign for youngster.

310518_Gallery9.jpg

Declan Watson.

tenor.gif

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I hope he proves me wrong, but really one of the more baffling picks in recent times.

Considering we took Durdin, EVW and McKay all in the previous couple of drafts. KPD was really low on the priority list.

Kobe Mutch and Jack Graham were both available, both linked to us pre-draft, both u/18 AA's, Graham was the Larke medalist, both right in our spot.

Both also look like becoming really handy players. Graham more so.

Just really strange to dip into QLD so much over a couple of drafts. Not to say they never produce them, but the odds of getting an elite player out of QLD is very remote. Especially 2 in consecutive picks.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I hope he proves me wrong, but really one of the more baffling picks in recent times.

Considering we took Durdin, EVW and McKay all in the previous couple of drafts. KPD was really low on the priority list.

Kobe Mutch and Jack Graham were both available, both linked to us pre-draft, both u/18 AA's, Graham was the Larke medalist, both right in our spot.

Both also look like becoming really handy players. Graham more so.

Just really strange to dip into QLD so much over a couple of drafts. Not to say they never produce them, but the odds of getting an elite player out of QLD is very remote. Especially 2 in consecutive picks.

The fast turnaround on Wagner ie gone by end of mandatory contract term was validating of a tighter list management process but possibly damning of the urge to get him in the first place. His ball handling issues (no not a euphemism) were evident in the draft highlights vids and were never resolved.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The fast turnaround on Wagner ie gone by end of mandatory contract term was validating of a tighter list management process but possibly damning of the urge to get him in the first place. His ball handling issues (no not a euphemism) were evident in the draft highlights vids and were never resolved.

It wasn't just Wagner.

We've taken Josh Williams, Declan Watson, Corey Wagner out of QLD, as well as Preuss.

It's a disproportionate number in reality.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It wasn't just Wagner.

We've taken Josh Williams, Declan Watson, Corey Wagner out of QLD, as well as Preuss.

It's a disproportionate number in reality.

Preuss was a rookie hit at a project player which from afar seems a reasonable punt.

Anecdotally the others felt overvalued and we seemed over-eager on making academy bids.

However reviewing some phantom drafts from the time all the Qlders we took in the ND rated thereabouts give or take about 10 picks by others prior.

Preuss was a rookie hit at a project player which from afar seems a reasonable punt.

Anecdotally the others felt overvalued and we seemed over-eager on making academy bids.

However reviewing some phantom drafts from the time all the Qlders we took in the ND rated thereabouts give or take about 10 picks by others prior.

Plus Cat B Rookie Tom Jeffries who was a Brisbane schoolboy prior to joining Princeton University as a rower.

Back