Past #35: Declan Watson - won't be offered a new contract - Thanks Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a natural down back. Liked hearing that he enjoys playing on the bigger blokes. I think the days of needing to be a gorilla are behind us. Defending is such a team effort these days that it’s very rare to end up in a one on one contest. It’s far more important to be able to read the ball in the air, occupy areas that allow to you help out and intercept as much as possible. Dec looks like he has those attributes. The ability to play tall but agile enough to play on your tweeners a la Tom Stewart.

When the guy got back from injury last season he played well down back and was getting in the best most weeks. Why play him forward too many times the club is changing young players positions screwing their development.

Has a little bit of Old School about him. Even on the bench on Sunday he was deadset dirty when Geelong took a mark, foot stomping, cursing, "get me back on" type dirty.

Has a little bit of Old School about him. Even on the bench on Sunday he was deadset dirty when Geelong took a mark, foot stomping, cursing, "get me back on" type dirty.

Sounds EXACTLY like me (minus the football ability)

Will have to seriously extract a digit to keep his spot on the list. Hasn’t really got going at all this year despite showing a bit as a forward in the pre-season.

Only averaging 11 disposals & 3 marks per game in the VFL.

Will have to seriously extract a digit to keep his spot on the list. Hasn’t really got going at all this year despite showing a bit as a forward in the pre-season.

Him and Hrovat look gone
Thompson to retire maybe
Watson retained over Nielson so he really was given the opportunity to perform

Wtf happened to him, seemed to smash the preseason, good in the intraclub...
then crickets?

Wtf happened to him, seemed to smash the preseason, good in the intraclub...
then crickets?

Everyone looked good in the intraclub until we hit an actual opposition.

Perhaps Brad will go after him?

Everyone looked good in the intraclub until we hit an actual opposition.

Perhaps Brad will go after him?
If Joyce and Scott end up at an opposition team, wouldn’t surprise me if they try and raid a couple of players.
And I think we’ll end up bending over who ever it is at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of luck in the future Dec.

Shame you had such a horrid run of injuries in your most important years.
The injuries have bought him an extra year, in comparison with Josh Williams. Unfortunately for Dec, he wasn't able to take advantage of this extra season.

The queensland draftees, the 2014 draft and some of the rookie picks have been downright s**thouse

Live draft bidding was North Melbourne's version of buying off the plan.

It's like a couple of the recruiting team went on a 3 day "Get rich from draft bidding" conference in Seminyak and came back convinced there was untold draft wealth sitting waiting to be plucked for free in all other academies and father-son picks.

Then the one ****ing time they should bid on a Queenslander, they don't and Harris Andrews trots off to Brisbane for pick #61. Brilliant.

Live draft bidding was North Melbourne's version of buying off the plan.

It's like a couple of the recruiting team went on a 3 day "Get rich from draft bidding" conference in Seminyak and came back convinced there was untold draft wealth sitting waiting to be plucked for free in all other academies and father-son picks.

Then the one ****ing time they should bid on a Queenslander, they don't and Harris Andrews trots off to Brisbane for pick #61. Brilliant.
I can begin to understand why Joyce’s and McMahons don’t have jobs anymore.
It’s not the things you get right it’s the colossal * ups that kept occurring

The queensland draftees, the 2014 draft and some of the rookie picks have been downright s**thouse
So Rhys Harwood is our Queensland Talent scout.

This is from 2017:

There are two new faces in charge of North's division this year, with long-time Geelong recruiter Michael McMahon taking on the list manager's position and Mark Finnigan elevated to recruiting manager. North have elected to have additional full-time staff ahead of expanding their network of part-timers (they have eight in part-time positions around the country, including a manager in Western Australia). Each of the club's recruiters look after particular areas. Ben Birthisel follows the South Australian and Northern Territory talent, Rhys Harwood keeps across the players coming through in Queensland, New South Wales and Tasmania, and Finnigan oversees the Victorian region. Mark Barnard is dedicated to watching talent for future picks, and Nick Byrne is the club's scout of AFL-listed players. Former Dees scouting boss Barry Prendergast is in a talent ID role for the club's Next Generation Academy, which could produce a talented pick next year in Tarryn Thomas. Former list manager Cameron Joyce, who has moved into the football manager's seat at Arden Street, remains on the club's list management committee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back