Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t matter if we had Rance and Scarlett down there mate, the ball still comes in quickly and under very little pressure.
cause we have 3 bigs no crumbers and a 1 paced midfield. either way we cant go on with 3 forwards so Weid gets dropped instead of having an actual chance

cause we have 3 bigs no crumbers and a 1 paced midfield. either way we cant go on with 3 forwards so Weid gets dropped instead of having an actual chance
I know its not perfect, but Weideman has played five games this year for a total of 14 marks, 12 tackles, 2 goals 2 behinds. What makes you think that clearing out the forward line for Weideman will turn him into an AFL-level forward that can compensate for the loss of goals from McDonald, for whom 2.2 in a single game would be a disappointing return? I think it'd be far more sensible to keep our elite full forward where he belongs, and play Frost as a traditional centre half back.

I know its not perfect, but Weideman has played five games this year for a total of 14 marks, 12 tackles, 2 goals 2 behinds. What makes you think that clearing out the forward line for Weideman will turn him into an AFL-level forward that can compensate for the loss of goals from McDonald, for whom 2.2 in a single game would be a disappointing return? I think it'd be far more sensible to keep our elite full forward where he belongs, and play Frost as a traditional centre half back.
Frost to get chopped up by Kersten or Apeness so when Frost spuds it up no campaigner should complain cause he'll play exactly how he has at AFL level b4. the amount of times Weid crashed a pack without marking it i thought theres just to many players fighting for the same ball you remove some of those players in his way he can then have clear air to get some ******* confidence up and see what he has b4 the end of the year. Instead he comes in with every campaigner flying for the ball Hogan just staying down shows you how congested it is. our whole ******* set up is rubbish we never bring players in to play the same role as the VFL look at Stretch Tyson Weideman all have good games then chuck them in the AFL to play a completely different role. Same as Jeff playing more mid then coming in in a diffent role its just crap and no wonder players dont find form in the AFL. like does the VFL team even play the same game plan? my main point is id rather see Weideman til the end of the year over Frost then we can decide what we do moving forward can see if Hogan wants to go home or flick Weideman. I know it isnt gonna happen. Weideman will get dropped after 1 game and we'll wonder why the * he cant find form or rhythm in the AFL.

stupid comparison with CR he has never played in goals. just gotta wait a couple of weeks til we lose to the dogs having Frost down there and see what everyone is calling for then.. i seriously cannot believe people think Frost is the answer next itll be Wagner and by that time our season will be over cause we didnt pull the trigger. id love to be wrong and Frost comes in and kills it

Couldn't give a toss if he had played in goals and had been absolutely fantastic - point is you wouldn't plonk one of the best attacking players going around in goals when any drongo with boots and gloves will do. Is it easier to find a consistent, match-winning forward or a jobbing tall defender?

Couldn't give a toss if he had played in goals and had been absolutely fantastic - point is you wouldn't plonk one of the best attacking players going around in goals when any drongo with boots and gloves will do. Is it easier to find a consistent, match-winning forward or a jobbing tall defender?
Id argue its harder to find top class defenders than forwards. Thats why we dont have any FFS its why we paid 2 firsts for a defender but whatever im done with all this Frost it is. if i hear any campaigner complain about Frost getting beaten im gonna lose it we all know he is s**t yet he is gonna hold our defense together. Add Apeness or Kersten to the Kingsley thread now

Id argue its harder to find top class defenders than forwards. Thats why we dont have any FFS its why we paid 2 firsts for a defender but whatever im done with all this Frost it is. if i hear any campaigner complain about Frost getting beaten im gonna lose it we all know he is s**t yet he is gonna hold our defense together. Add Apeness or Kersten to the Kingsley thread now

That you can throw failed forwards like Liam Jones, Lachlan Henderson, Ben Holland, Jeremy Howe, Tom Lonergan, etc down there clearly says otherwise. Neitz could go back and do a job in a pinch but why would you put a bloke who can kick 10 goals a game in the back line? Not sure why you're so adamant over this when making our defense a couple of goals better is going to make our forward line five or six goals worse.

If I hear you moaning after we lose a low scoring game by a couple of goals I'm guuurna lose it, too.

That you can throw failed forwards like Liam Jones, Lachlan Henderson, Ben Holland, Jeremy Howe, Tom Lonergan, etc down there clearly says otherwise. Neitz could go back and do a job in a pinch but why would you put a bloke who can kick 10 goals a game in the back line? Not sure why you're so adamant over this when making our defense a couple of goals better is going to make our forward line five or six goals worse.

If I hear you moaning after we lose a low scoring game by a couple of goals I'm guuurna lose it, too.
i just cant believe Frost is the answer we are ****ed.. dont know how a bloke who kicks 3 a game makes 5 or 6 goal difference when replacing him with a small who can work with the talls and put pressure on the way out and kick 1 or 2 himself. while actually giving Weid a crack. would love to actually have another option than Frost but we dont so lets just leave it there and hopefully Frost does enough that we dont need another option

Is TMac a top class defender? He's no Harry Taylor, and there were plenty of complaints around his disposal when he was playing down there.

i just cant believe Frost is the answer we are ******.. dont know how a bloke who kicks 3 a game makes 5 or 6 goal difference when replacing him with a small who can work with the talls and put pressure on the way out and kick 1 or 2 himself. while actually giving Weid a crack. would love to actually have another option than Frost but we dont so lets just leave it there and hopefully Frost does enough that we dont need another option

Mate I completely understand your logic but our defence isn't the issue per se. It's how easily the midfield allow the opposition to transition the ball. They go inside their own 50 with no pressure meaning the AA back 6 would still be out of position.

We have to fix the forward end first, simply having a less aggressive press and having more blokes tackle and pressure would mean we wouldn't be scored on as easily. As it is there is too much space between our 50 and the centre of the ground so when teams beat the high press they have a tonne of space to attack. Simply moving the guys from inside 50 to CHF means we have room deep for a key to contest 1 on 1 and room for crumbers to work their magic.
We are leaving our defenders too much space, forcing our midfield to defend way too much area with no legspeed and clogging up our forward line making our talls irrelevant. We could literally drop Tmac and Hogan with how aggressive our press is and probably score the same amount or more.

Is TMac a top class defender? He's no Harry Taylor, and there were plenty of complaints around his disposal when he was playing down there.

Not a world class defender, but as pro-Oscar as I am compare the attacking impact T. Mac's kicks had coming out of defence (yes I know he flubbed a few, but there were plenty that he didn't) to anyone we have down there now except Hibberd.

Our backline last week was Hibberd (long and short kicks), Oscar (short kicks), Nev (short kicks), Lewis (short kicks), Salem (occasional long kicks) and Petty (first game nerve WTF kicks). I can see why they initially trialled Melksham down there, even when Lever was playing we were sorely lacking somebody who can gather inside defensive 50 and let rip to a long target.

Not letting the ball get down there 12 seconds after being deep inside our attacking 50 would also help.

Mate I completely understand your logic but our defence isn't the issue per se. It's how easily the midfield allow the opposition to transition the ball. They go inside their own 50 with no pressure meaning the AA back 6 would still be out of position.

We have to fix the forward end first, simply having a less aggressive press and having more blokes tackle and pressure would mean we wouldn't be scored on as easily. As it is there is too much space between our 50 and the centre of the ground so when teams beat the high press they have a tonne of space to attack. Simply moving the guys from inside 50 to CHF means we have room deep for a key to contest 1 on 1 and room for crumbers to work their magic.
We are leaving our defenders too much space, forcing our midfield to defend way too much area with no legspeed and clogging up our forward line making our talls irrelevant. We could literally drop Tmac and Hogan with how aggressive our press is and probably score the same amount or more.
i know its the mids n forwards not putting pressure on. ******* Tyson should never play again Jones is the worst captain in the AFL goes missing just bombs it in no defensive pressure Lewis is too slow. having 3 big forwards and running big campaigners in the middle or on the wing isnt helping. id rather have Weid play over Frost id rather have 2 bigs over 3 id rather have 2 Big defenders who can actually defend first then Hibberd can get into a role that suits him instead of chopping out for other poxy campaigners. obviously need some speed to come in ive said that so many times. could use this to as a blessing in disguise to see if Weid can step up if not then we know for next year or trade time. Im seriously done talking about it no one agrees lets leave it at that. Frost will come in fail and no doubt everyone will talk about how s**t he is then talk about TMac needing to go back. Im glad to be wrong and Frost some how has turned into a good defender and picking a first gamer over him was for some other reason than he is s**t.

Thought this thread needed a bump. Genuinely thought he showed more last night than Weideman has all year - his leading patterns still aren't consistent over four quartes but showed some decent forward craft I thought. Says a lot more about where Weideman is at than anything but if he could hit the ball at its highest point like Petty does he'd be a much better player. Get them both training together all off season as forwards with Weideman showing Petty how to lead and kick for goal and Petty showing Weid how to use his body.

Don't know if I've just written Petty off as a defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was shakey in his first game, but that can be expected.

Now i'm not sure where he plays, tbh i can't even remember defender petty as i can't remember a lot of this season. But is a great contested mark for his age and contested marking besides gawn is something we have dearly been lacking. If he can get the defender in his kicking out he could be a good forward

He's got a lot to work with, moves pretty well and has a great set of hands. That mark he took when he ran full pelt for 30-40 metres and came from the side was A-grade. Looks like a good developing tall that can play at both ends

More than Weid? Don’t think so.

Luckily, I reckon he will knock Frosty out of the team quite quickly

Frost is our best player. Petty won't be displacing him anytime soon.

Need to combine Petty and Weid - Petty's hands and Weid's kicking action would make for a good forward. Petty is only 19 but if Weid has shown more, its not much more. This was the season he was supposed to show what he can do and he's currently behind a 19 year old key defender.

I don’t mind him. He doesn’t strike me as a world beater, Seems like he has a lot to grow on before we’ll know

That debut against St Kilda was the worst debut of any player I can ever remember.
Agree. Was stunned watching it - esp. given wraps on him coming from the VFL. To be fair to him though our entire team effort was a shocker that day, not ideal conditions for an 18yo to debut in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back