Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Was stunned watching it - esp. given wraps on him coming from the VFL. To be fair to him though our entire team effort was a shocker that day, not ideal conditions for an 18yo to debut in.

I’m just glad it doesn’t seem to have scarred him and I’m really liking a few things he’s shown this year.

Still a few years away, but I can see a lot to work with. Seems aggressively competitive too.

I’m just glad it doesn’t seem to have scarred him and I’m really liking a few things he’s shown this year.

Still a few years away, but I can see a lot to work with. Seems aggressively competitive too.

Yep. Will be disappointing when he requests a trade back to Adelaide in a couple of seasons.

I would trust him to hold my baby, his hands are so good.

Legend has it his hands are so good he could hold your unborn child.

Another player who is playing in a position he hasn't played in or trained for at AFL level. Is doing a reasonable job considering!

Will be better next year if he is given a position to train for in the off-season and actually plays there in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t that happen? He competes up forward but I think he shows more down back

Besides his horrendous debut Petty was kind of anonymous down back. (Which isnt necessarily a bad thing) He has shown heaps more as a forward considering he is only 19 & just played the 3 games as a target up forward. We've shown great patience with Weideman as the big boys take time to develop but along comes Petty who is 2 & half years younger & he has amost equalled the output of Weideman in 3 games despite Weidemans experience. (Weideman has been trained his whole career as a forward & played about 25 more games up forward than Petty.)
Considering our depth of defenders I'd be keeping Petty forward & If we had to choose between them I'd be picking Petty before Weideman at this stage.

Besides his horrendous debut Petty was kind of anonymous down back. (Which isnt necessarily a bad thing) He has shown heaps more as a forward considering he is only 19 & just played the 3 games as a target up forward. We've shown great patience with Weideman as the big boys take time to develop but along comes Petty who is 2 & half years younger & he has amost equalled the output of Weideman in 3 games despite Weidemans experience. (Weideman has been trained his whole career as a forward & played about 25 more games up forward than Petty.)
Considering our depth of defenders I'd be keeping Petty forward & If we had to choose between them I'd be picking Petty before Weideman at this stage.
Has also shown nothing 1v1 in defence.

The whole off-season narrative was that Weideman takes the ball at its highest point, and it was a skill Hogan lacked. Now Petty does it and Weideman doesn't? Short memories.

Petty has good dukes, which is very encouraging, but his actual forward positioning is pretty terrible in transition. Sitting at ground level near the 50 arc, you really notice how he dawdles in transition most of the time rather than making a strong lead towards the ball carrier. Now that could be a coaching instruction, and it really wouldn't surprise me if it were given the quality of our coaches, but it's something he needs to correct. He has the same issue in defence. Far too reactive to what his forward is doing at any given time, and often losing them on the lead.

At the end of the day, for my own sanity, I'm not going to wank myself silly over a 10 disposal, 5 mark, 0 goal 2 game just because we're in a hole and Petty is young. It's encouraging, sure, but I guarantee you that people would want Weideman dropped if it was him that played that way on Saturday. If the drop from 2018-19 has taught me anything, it's that young players don't magically improve their weaknesses as they get older and fill out their frames. Flaws need to be carefully coached out of guys, or else they become habits. Goody and co are a long way away from Roos and George Stone, particularly with McCartney looking a good chance to pack his bags come end of year as our only proven development coach.

The whole off-season narrative was that Weideman takes the ball at its highest point, and it was a skill Hogan lacked. Now Petty does it and Weideman doesn't? Short memories.

Petty has good dukes, which is very encouraging, but his actual forward positioning is pretty terrible in transition. Sitting at ground level near the 50 arc, you really notice how he dawdles in transition most of the time rather than making a strong lead towards the ball carrier. Now that could be a coaching instruction, and it really wouldn't surprise me if it were given the quality of our coaches, but it's something he needs to correct. He has the same issue in defence. Far too reactive to what his forward is doing at any given time, and often losing them on the lead.

At the end of the day, for my own sanity, I'm not going to wank myself silly over a 10 disposal, 5 mark, 0 goal 2 game just because we're in a hole and Petty is young. It's encouraging, sure, but I guarantee you that people would want Weideman dropped if it was him that played that way on Saturday. If the drop from 2018-19 has taught me anything, it's that young players don't magically improve their weaknesses as they get older and fill out their frames. Flaws need to be carefully coached out of guys, or else they become habits. Goody and co are a long way away from Roos and George Stone, particularly with McCartney looking a good chance to pack his bags come end of year as our only proven development coach.
It’s also disappointing we didn’t get Caracella.

I love his height at 197cm tall. Still only 19 years of age so could still potentially grow to the 199cm mark. I think he will also fill out quite well and turn into a solid looking player.

I'm really bullish about him! Just think he's contested marking is a real highlight for me and has shown that he has the capability of becoming a good forward target once he fills put his frame and gain more experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back