Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All players. Ratings points of 14+ per game is outstanding for his disposal counts. It's his comparative lack of pace that had him sliding. On the one hand he could be another Jade Gresham or Jack Higgins or Tom Papley, on the other hand he could be another Nathan Hrovat or Lewis Taylor.

Interesting. Given his modest possession count, would I be right in assuming the high rating would be due to goals, assists and DE?

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
At first glance I thought we had drafted Daniel McPherson who played in the Swans losing 96 GF team:

1575348488262.png

Last edited:
Interesting. Given his modest possession count, would I be right in assuming the high rating would be due to goals, assists and DE?
Sort of. It's based on involvements in play that improve your likelihood of scoring (or decrease the opposition's likelihood). So contested possessions and intercept possessions are good, putting the ball to the advantage of a teammate not under pressure is good, "effective" disposals are neither good nor bad in themselves depending on where they go and the outcome at the other end. Getting contested possessions and immediately being tackled for a stoppage doesn't help much, getting it to a teammate under pressure tends not to help much, cheap goals out the back, easy assists, and little link-up possessions don't contribute much.

Without watching a lot of him I couldn't say exactly why, but a few brief highlight clips suggest he's a neat and creative ball user who can start clean possession chains or scoring opportunities out of congestion, and wins his share of his own ball.

All players. Ratings points of 14+ per game is outstanding for his disposal counts. It's his comparative lack of pace that had him sliding. On the one hand he could be another Jade Gresham or Jack Higgins or Tom Papley, on the other hand he could be another Nathan Hrovat or Lewis Taylor.

Difference is that Mahoney shows ticker.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best thing about this pickup, is that in a year or twos time Kayne Turner may actually be held accountable week to week at match selection.

If Mahony can be a small forward that gets more then 10 disposals a game and average 1-2 games a week, bye bye Kayne

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Comments from Talent Manager Mark Wheeler

JACK MAHONY (no.34 to North Melbourne): “‘Professional’ is all I can say about Jack. It was unfortunate he got injured late in the season; he was our most missed player in the finals. He ticks every box and did enough this year to show everyone he’s a smaller player with great hands and skills that were above the level.

“He definitely has a footy brain, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops up for an AFL game or two next year. I think he’s a midfielder in the long run, because he’s smart with his ball use and he sees the game unfold before it does.”

Back