Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks like he needs a spell. I actually think he will be pretty good player for us.

Hard to get a read on a guy in his first year when we have had this COVID mess. Hard to develop working by yourself at home.

He looked sore today.

Yeh. Him, Kyron, Taylor, Scott, all get a leave pass this year. What a s**t year to try and learn, improve and try and establish yourself in a meaningful way.

Don’t see it. When the ball hits the deck inside forward 50 a small forward is meant to spring to life.
It happened in the 2nd quarter and Carltons defenders looked like rovers and Mahony was the defender under the pump. He set up Scott for a holding the ball.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he's a boy playing against men, which in a losing side is not a pretty place to be; I wasn't a great fan of the selection given his lack of pace was a known quantity at the time, so he will need to develop into a niche role (Caleb Daniel the distributor comes to mind). All that said, early days, and a few senior games now won't hurt, but he's the first out at the minute if there's an alternative

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it’ll take a little while but once he physically develops some more and adjusts to the pace of the game he’ll become a very handy player. You can see glimpses in his quick decision making.

At the moment his footy IQ isn’t enough to bridge the gap his physical limitations present but it will after a couple of preseasons.

Happy to plough games into him this year given the lack of alternative small forward options while Turner is out.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he's a boy playing against men, which in a losing side is not a pretty place to be; I wasn't a great fan of the selection given his lack of pace was a known quantity at the time, so he will need to develop into a niche role (Caleb Daniel the distributor comes to mind). All that said, early days, and a few senior games now won't hurt, but he's the first out at the minute if there's an alternative

yeah but he looks 35 . Think he’ll be ok though by the time he turns 40

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
The Mahoney drafting was baffling, really. So very slow.

Yes especially as he’s a carbon copy of hrovat - when will we ever learn.
Not having a go at the kid- it’s not his fault we drafted him.
That Elijah Taylor looks the speedy type we needed and he has tricks.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I swear you lot go hard ridiculously early on these players. "Slow speed", so what, it's his first year and there's no VFL and hasn't had multiple pre-seasons to work on his deficiencies.

We have our fair share of pessimism junkies.

This kid will really shine in a side with a midfield on top.

They haven't picked him out of a hat at such a young age & development because he doesn't have something to offer.

It's just that the all too common myopic's can't see anything unless it's patently obvious (i.e. after the fact, I went too early, etc.).

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The players who use smarts to impact games generally struggle when the team are struggling, especially if they're a forward. That, and he's a first year player. Give him time. Too obsessed with leg speed around here.

We are going through a "down hill skier" phase in the game at the moment, so some folks think we should go with that trend.

I ain't one of em!

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like him. He plays with a bit of nous. Needs to build a bit more of a tank and get stronger. He isn’t exactly a small crumbing forward but I reckon he will end up being able to work in a phone bother and apply good pressure.

I think the eventual role for him is to be a forward who knows when to push into the midfield contests around the flanks and wings - using that nous and intelligence to set blokes up in the F50. I don't see him as a 35-40 goal a year crumbing forward. And he doesn't need to be, provides he helps us win those contests which result in inside 50s. Every team needs a player or two who just know where to be, they don't all need to be 100m sprinters.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Too early to write him off but the knocks on his speed were clearly no exaggeration. Very, very hard to make it in the AFL when you're slow and small. Comben and Perez are great athletes and we picked Mahony because he's just really good at football. He'll get a chance to work on his endurance and strength and hopefully can build a game around those features. You can't think of him as a crumber or pressure player because that wasn't his role. His ideal role for us is the one Leigh Adams used to play. The midfielder that plays half forward and pushes up into contests.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We currently have the 2 slowest players in the AFL.
Mahoney is too slow for a small forward And too small for an inside mid. He’s not even agile.
true, and equally applicable to Caleb Daniel, ie, a premiership player. As we build the team over the next few years, the question will be whether there is a structural need for a player like Jack, because he's not really a high pressure forward

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the eventual role for him is to be a forward who knows when to push into the midfield contests around the flanks and wings - using that nous and intelligence to set blokes up in the F50. I don't see him as a 35-40 goal a year crumbing forward. And he doesn't need to be, provides he helps us win those contests which result in inside 50s. Every team needs a player or two who just know where to be, they don't all need to be 100m sprinters.
He still needs to work on that quick of the mark step. I don’t think he’ll end up being a pressure forward, but playing afl, in that position, he needs needs to work on his speed, otherwise he’ll end up being another Hrovat, and that isn’t a knock on Hrovat, as he was a very good player in his own right.
but in the end there was no point of difference.

Back