Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Statistically between he and Max King for the RS nom atm.

I would like to see Jack's stats v Greg Williams at the same age.

They probably don't have the stats for Williams but the point being Jack is 18 - would be playing Under 19's in the old days.

He has plenty of upside - is getting valuable experience at the coalface and just needs to keep on learning.

No idea how he ended up 1 on 1 with the opposition ruckman, 28cm's taller than poor Jack, TWICE in the defensive 50. Competed bloody hard both times too.

A good showing from him on a day where a dozen plus players got to really strut their stuff. Regardless of opposition though, he showed a lot of individual glimpses that shows he potentially has a very, very bright future after a few more preasons of sculpting his body.

Terry Tan gave heaped praise on Jack a couple of days ago, saying at the time that he’s developing nicely and more deserving of the RS Nom than Georgiades because he’s been fronting up every week rather than playing a great game as a one off.

Any thoughts on G Miers? Now he’s a GENUINE star small forward in the making my friend. You can take that to the bank.

Looked like a millionaire in a mature established side.

How do you reckon he would go with us at the moment?

Mahony would have kicked 3-4 in their forward line tonight.

It was a pick in the 30’s big DF. It’s not like we flushed a pick in the early teens on a 170cm FP.

I’m hardly ”getting stiff” over the performance, but you need to give a kid a chance in the game. Too many want to be first in with the “ I called it, he’s no good”.
I’d be rapt to see him make it. Don’t get me wrong. But I’m just saying, I can’t see what the recruiters must’ve seen to use our 2nd pick. That’s all. Nothing against Jack. Not one bit.
But let’s also be realistic and not praise mediocrity which seems to be a common theme here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like a millionaire in a mature established side.

How do you reckon he would go with us at the moment?

Mahony would have kicked 3-4 in their forward line tonight.
But apparently all our other players are really good as well according to this forum. Is there anyone on our list you don’t rate? Or are they all great players just struggling for a bit of form?

I’d be rapt to see him make it. Don’t get me wrong. But I’m just saying, I can’t see what the recruiters must’ve seen to use our 2nd pick. That’s all. Nothing against Jack. Not one bit.
But let’s also be realistic and not praise mediocrity which seems to be a common theme here.

I’m not praising him. Im prepared to give an 18 yo a chance.

But apparently all our other players are really good as well according to this forum. Is there anyone on our list you don’t rate? Or are they all great players just struggling for a bit of form?

I understand where the list is at, and you don't.

I think it's pretty easy to see why we took him at pick thirty-odd, because - as one reference point - he was ranked 14th by Champion Data in his draft year (in other words, a bit of a steal) Very similar in that respect to Caleb Daniel in the 2014 draft, ranked 16th and taken at 46. Also too small, and too slow....but! a premiership player (we took Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson and EVW... oh well)

Any thoughts on G Miers? Now he’s a GENUINE star small forward in the making my friend. You can take that to the bank.
Miers was running around in TAC cup when he was 18, not playing AFL. Then had a year at VFL to develop.

VFL is probably where Mahony should be. However there's no VFL and we're a little short on AFL quality right now.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

If we'd had an effective small defender on him he may not have scored a thing. But he has very good hands in close - quick hands, sure one grabs of loose balls that he often has no right to get, a lot like Mahoney actually. Look at Mahoneys first game and first three possessions if you want to see composure and something more than mediocrity.

I know you like speedboats and Mahoney is more of a tugboat but he's more than a mediocre player.

If we'd had an effective small defender on him he may not have scored a thing. But he has very good hands in close - quick hands, sure one grabs of loose balls that he often has no right to get, a lot like Mahoney actually. Look at Mahoneys first game and first three possessions if you want to see composure and something more than mediocrity.

I know you like speedboats and Mahoney is more of a tugboat but he's more than a mediocre player.

🤣Hey Ferbs, I think you might want to revisit that analogy. It really doesn’t do Jack any favours. I think he has a tad more finesse about him than your typical tugboat.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Miers was running around in TAC cup when he was 18, not playing AFL. Then had a year at VFL to develop.

VFL is probably where Mahony should be. However there's no VFL and we're a little short on AFL quality right now.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Spot on. The goal Mahony kicked was all class though. Another pre-season or two to build strength and explosiveness and he will be a quality player. Clearly no really ready yet but these games will stand him in good stead.

Mightve had a second if he hadve taken advantage instead of letting Anderson take his free kick. I was critical on mahony but he's looked a bit better last 2 game and is actually laying the tackles now. As has been said really he should've developed in the vfl this season but afl experience is as good as any

Remove this Banner Ad

Back