Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of centimetres shorter than Papley and the 6kg weight difference is easy to fix.

It's pretty easy to see why we drafted him in light of the above being a target.

Was a ripper junior and showing some good signs. Will benefit from much more exposure.

I would have preferred a pacy forward, but he is clever and in time he will be a quality AFL player. Give him the odd rest but happy to keep giving him games.
Yeh between Mahony, Curtis, Zurhaar, and Thomas - all talented but none have genuine raw pace which is a concern.
The issue we draft these types and end up landing a Gordon Narrier rather than a Charlie Cameron.

Yeh between Mahony, Curtis, Zurhaar, and Thomas - all talented but none have genuine raw pace which is a concern.
The issue we draft these types and end up landing a Gordon Narrier rather than a Charlie Cameron.

Zurhaar is quick, don't let the big body fool you.

Mahoney is quick enough, especially with his quickness of mind.

Still, I think we need a couple smalls with real pace and close down ability. Richmond had Dusty, Cotchin and co. for years and were mired in mid table mediocrity until they started drafting these types of smalls.

Zurhaar is quick, don't let the big body fool you.

Mahoney is quick enough, especially with his quickness of mind.

Still, I think we need a couple smalls with real pace and close down ability. Richmond had Dusty, Cotchin and co. for years and were mired in mid table mediocrity until they started drafting these types of smalls.
Zurhaar isn’t not slow but he’s no flash either. Mahony is a similar size to Kane Lambert and we need that type for starters, but at full sprint we lack the mosquito fleet sized footballer who can apply defensive pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had issues with his pace and not because of him personally but because of the vanilla types around him.
In a quick side he looks good but in ours he adds to the problem.

In the short term, he shows more than enough to persist with. Will be interesting to see if he can find ways to utilise his strengths and be a long term AFL footballer.

I'm not going to unfairly knock him as young and inexperienced. Good hands etc.

But is he the slowest tiny player we've ever selected ?

Makes Hrovat look like Usain Bolt......and Hrovat ran in slow motion.

Last edited:
How many tiny, slow, physically ineffectual footballers make the grade? Not writing him off, has shown good smarts and surprisingly strong hands on the lead, but he’ll be up against it...
He is 1cm shorter than Jed.

He’ll have to find an extra bit of toe if he is going to make it.

Considering how often the footy is on the deck in our forward 50 he hasn’t looked very likely as a front and centre small forward.

agreed great he had the instinct to pass off the hall. He got a couple tackles today but just not cutting it. Give hosie a go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back