AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

35 - guelfi.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 23, DERO

Last edited by a moderator:
“Matt had a good session over the weekend, he’s done plenty of running.

“We’ll be training him this week and testing him to make sure that he’s ready to go, but I’m very optimistic about that one.”
Should be good for this week.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Played like he belongs in the WAFL today

Naah, you've had your Guelfi red pill moment.

That's how he has played all bar 1 game this year (I think he was passable in 1 game).

He's a physically weak plodder (as in cant run to any noticeable degree), cant hit a target over more than 15m when he makes the right decision and cannot proactively impact a contest (I.e. cant absorb contact and is brushed off by his opponents).

Other than that he's an AFL player because he tries or passes the structures exam or something.

Who is the Guelfi equivalent at Richmond, WCE, Pies, Cats and GWS? Do you reckon an opposition coach has thought about him in planning expect for the lols?

Can anyone, pretending to be an opposition coach, finish this sentence positively:

"Watch Geulfi, he..."

bombadeer

All Australian
Jul 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
His poor decision making with ball in hand offends me a little, and always has. Long bombs to no one in particular is his default position - especially going inside 50.

I thought he had a great game on ANZAC day - but that form has not been maintained.

Whatever the role that Guelfi is supposed to be doing, I’m confident that Ridley could be doing it better, and with more composure.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

That's how he has played all bar 1 game this year (I think he was passable in 1 game).

He's a physically weak plodder (as in cant run to any noticeable degree), cant hit a target over more than 15m when he makes the right decision and cannot proactively impact a contest (I.e. cant absorb contact and is brushed off by his opponents).

Other than that he's an AFL player because he tries or passes the structures exam or something.

Who is the Guelfi equivalent at Richmond, WCE, Pies, Cats and GWS? Do you reckon an opposition coach has thought about him in planning expect for the lols?

Can anyone, pretending to be an opposition coach, finish this sentence positively:

"Watch Geulfi, he..."
I hope you're not taking the piss because I agree with everything you said.

This bloke is a 184cm utility with no genuine position to play in. Doesn't have the nouse of a defender, the attacking traits of a forward nor the physically/clean disposal of a midfielder.

So like, what is he? What's his role? Because what he's doing now isn't it.

Snelling has shown more in like 3 games than this dude has in his career - and he wasn't even on the team a month ago!

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He was fairly good before the WC injury (outside the opening two games). He has regressed since.
He looks lost at times.

Needs a spell in the twos.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important

"Watch Geulfi, he..."

uses too much paprika in his slow cooked goulash.

Wow. He's even a s**t cook.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope you're not taking the piss because I agree with everything you said.

This bloke is a 184cm utility with no genuine position to play in. Doesn't have the nouse of a defender, the attacking traits of a forward nor the physically/clean disposal of a midfielder.

So like, what is he? What's his role? Because what he's doing now isn't it.

Snelling has shown more in like 3 games than this dude has in his career - and he wasn't even on the team a month ago!

Not at all. His selection in the team, no less than 30 times, is one of the things that has me wondering whether string theory screwed me and landed me in the bizarro universe.

I have him below Green, Baguley and Kommer as a player. There is no readily identifiable purpose to his play and virtually no readily identifiable AFL ability.

Not at all. His selection in the team, no less than 30 times, is one of the things that has me wondering whether string theory screwed me and landed me in the bizarro universe.

I have him below Green, Baguley and Kommer as a player. There is no readily identifiable purpose to his play and virtually no readily identifiable AFL ability.

Besides the fact he can take a mark, kick, tackle and not afraid to go in. Below Kommer? Can’t be serious.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely you guys are joking right. He’s just a kid. He’s not even our worst player

Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
Impossible to measure but feel like in a lot of our wins he's had been part of a really important bit of play or three that makes a big difference.

On paper you'd think he could be in trouble next year if Smith makes it back and Begley and Ridley have big pre seasons.

Impossible to measure but feel like in a lot of our wins he's had been part of a really important bit of play or three that makes a big difference.

On paper you'd think he could be in trouble next year if Smith makes it back and Begley and Ridley have big pre seasons.
He was always in trouble for a permanent spot on the list, you'd think if Smith, Raz and Hepps was available for the whole year he wouldn't have played anywhere near as often as he has. Hence why his judgement as of late is a little confusing, like I'm not sure what people were expecting of a pick 76 who's essentially getting games through the unavailability of others.

I think the word for him is "role player".

If a superstar is well-regarded by supporters of many clubs, and a star is well-regarded by supporters of his own club, then a role-player is well-regarded by his coach and his teammates, while a spud is well-regarded by only a few people outside his own family.

Does the basics well enough, acts as a link man, tackles, gets to most contests and doesn't shirk physical contact, usually plays well under pressure, takes marks, even kicked a couple of goals. Not particularly outstanding in any area, but he's usually pretty dependable, knows the structures, pulls his weight and isn't a liability.

I guess a role player is kind of like a picture frame, it has to be solid and do its job well, but if it is doing its job well you don't actually notice it (aside from the hairdo). I think all teams have players like that, not necessarily in the role of wing/utility, but they all have them. There isn't enough talent or enough money in the league to convince 22 superstars to play for the same club. They tend not to be on the park all at once anyway, so you need role players to fill the gaps. There's always a couple winning premiership medals each year, but you won't remember their names a week later.

In Parish's interview the other day about re-signing at the club, he was talking about how he was a role player earlier in his career, but now he's starting to do more, beyond just playing a role. I think most kids that get games are pretty much just playing a role for the team, not really making a name for themselves. The good ones develop to do more, the others continue to play a role until someone else comes along to play it better.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Besides the fact he can take a mark, kick, tackle and not afraid to go in. Below Kommer? Can’t be serious.

Yes he can hold a mark. I said he can't hit targets by foot.

Tackling and "going in" are just about the most valueless attributes. Kommer tackled with much more ferocity and was "mad as a cut snake" in terms of his intensity, useless as he actually way. By this criteria there are probably 50 VAFA players who could be on a list.

And onthe topic of "role players", what role is he performing that couldn't be performed by Jake Long (who no one rates)? Seriously. We say someone is playing a role when we don't understand what he is doing.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
You’re looking at him through rose coloured (or opposite there of) glasses.

He does a role, plays where the team needs him. Is tough, reliable and will do whatever the team needs. You say Long could sperform his role, no he couldn’t. You know that. Long isn’t as tough as Matt, not is he as good overhead as Matt. Skilfully better but that would be about all Jake would be better at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
You’re looking at him through rose coloured (or opposite there of) glasses.

He does a role, plays where the team needs him. Is tough, reliable and will do whatever the team needs. You say Long could sperform his role, no he couldn’t. You know that. Long isn’t as tough as Matt, not is he as good overhead as Matt. Skilfully better but that would be about all Jake would be better at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What role does he play?

If I took the two games Long played last year, in which he was serviceable, what is it that Guelfi is doing which is beyond Long?

Yes he can hold a mark. I said he can't hit targets by foot.

Tackling and "going in" are just about the most valueless attributes. Kommer tackled with much more ferocity and was "mad as a cut snake" in terms of his intensity, useless as he actually way. By this criteria there are probably 50 VAFA players who could be on a list.

And onthe topic of "role players", what role is he performing that couldn't be performed by Jake Long (who no one rates)? Seriously. We say someone is playing a role when we don't understand what he is doing.

Tackling is not a skill? Kommer has intent in that he looked busy but didn’t get to as many contests. Guelfi shows far more courage as well.

Plays defensive roles off half back, wing and sometimes defensive forward. As others have stated his for hasn’t been as good since the Eagles game. Very quiet against Port.

Long hasn’t impressed in the times I’ve seen him in VFL. Will probably be delisted end of the year. Guelfi in the meantime has played most games. Unless the coaching staff is completely inept Clearly they don’t believe Long’s defensive skills are as good. Guelfi’s kicking is better as well not to mention a better mark.

What role does he play?

If I took the two games Long played last year, in which he was serviceable, what is it that Guelfi is doing which is beyond Long?
What roles do you consider to be legitimate descriptions of what players do on the field these days?

No one seems to be able to agree on what a key/tall/medium/small forward/defender is meant to be, we have a midfield that seems to number about 10 or 11 most weeks, defenders who kick inside 50 or go straight for goal, forwards who seem to play on the wings or even at the coalface, mids that seem to spend most of their time in D50. Unless you can define any one of those roles to a point that satisfies yourself, I'm not sure how you expect anyone else to place Guelfi in anyone of them.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
He's been a bit quiet but I'd keep him in. He plays a variety of roles and always competes super hard and often does game saving acts like taking key marks, making desperate smothers saving goals etc. He's probably about our 18th best and that's enough to keep him in the side.

Back