AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

35 - guelfi.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 23, DERO

Last edited by a moderator:
Our top dozen either aren’t good enough or are injured. An average run of injuries to our key players next season will see a marked improvement or effectiveness of our bottom 6. Fair?

Sorry but I don’t get what it has to do with my comment that you quoted.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Career numbers so far. Why are you taking such offense to an obvious comparison?

The "comparison" says a fair bit as far as I'm concerned.

There is virtually no similarity between the two as players expect for the story of "X is a battler and therefore the same player" which tends to pollute the way players like Guelfi are perceived.

Howlett was an in and under inside mid who occasionally had a run as a small forward. He was quite psychotic in his attack on the ball and the man.

Guelfi plays as a wingman/half back with about 50% of Howlett's intensity though he shares Howlett's propensity to shank the ball.

Not every battler taken late in the draft is an effective grunt. I wouldn't say that Guelfi is noticeably more intense than anyone on the list other than Langford, Brown and Clarke. It's the perception of his intensity, based on that time he wore a hit in the head and his story of "sparky from the WAFL" that has created this reputation.

He is so physically weak that even if his intensity is higher than normal it doesn't manifest in anything above average because he's either pulverised by tacklers or brushed aside by the players he is tackling. Again, Howlet was jacked and a little nugget. Guelfi is lanky.

Howlett was the best tackler at Essendon for the duration of his career.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s almost as if no one here watched any of the Eagles under Worsfold. Those sides were built around an army of gritty, largely anonymous team first role players that played their guts out and allowed the big names to flourish and do their thing.

I really value his attack on the ball, his work rate and his willingness to put his body on the line, it’s something that’s we are drastically deficient in and that’s why he keeps getting picked. He’s no finished article either, he’s still a work in progress.

Yep..foot soldiers like Fletcher, Selwood, Braun, Jones, Butler, Banfield and Chick prepared to grind it out relentlessly.

Much the same as Worsfold played the game himself.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
He was always in trouble for a permanent spot on the list, you'd think if Smith, Raz and Hepps was available for the whole year he wouldn't have played anywhere near as often as he has. Hence why his judgement as of late is a little confusing, like I'm not sure what people were expecting of a pick 76 who's essentially getting games through the unavailability of others.
Yep and with out track history of injuries will lend up being a 200 game player.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Naah, you've had your Guelfi red pill moment.

That's how he has played all bar 1 game this year (I think he was passable in 1 game).

He's a physically weak plodder (as in cant run to any noticeable degree), cant hit a target over more than 15m when he makes the right decision and cannot proactively impact a contest (I.e. cant absorb contact and is brushed off by his opponents).

Other than that he's an AFL player because he tries or passes the structures exam or something.

Who is the Guelfi equivalent at Richmond, WCE, Pies, Cats and GWS? Do you reckon an opposition coach has thought about him in planning expect for the lols?

Can anyone, pretending to be an opposition coach, finish this sentence positively:

"Watch Geulfi, he..."
Watch Guelfi.. he looks uncannily like Ice from Top Gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Yeah but the second part of that headline is cool

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep..foot soldiers like Fletcher, Selwood, Braun, Jones, Butler, Banfield and Chick prepared to grind it out relentlessly.

Much the same as Worsfold played the game himself.

You're trolling me.

You've named freakish gut runners, All-Australian level accumulators and a quality half back only limited by injury in that list.

Admittedly at least one of the Jones' sucked.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
You're trolling me.

You've named freakish gut runners, All-Australian level accumulators and a quality half back only limited by injury in that list.

Admittedly at least one of the Jones' sucked.

They had their star players of course, but as we all know, it’s the half dozen lesser lights who get you to a GF and all have to do their job on the day to win a flag.

Guelfi won’t be a Kerr, but I’d be happy with a Braun or Fletcher type output as he develops👌

Remove this Banner Ad

Back