AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Guelfi is a bloke who I look at at just think - where's the upside? Most players have at minimum a couple traits that you could really build into a successful side. I just don't think Guelfi has any of them tbh. Not a great defender or attacker. Not great with disposal. Not a great mark. He definitely tries and always cracks in, but I don't see that being enough in a good team. Jack of all trades, master of none.

If he is actually keeping Redman out of the side, then that is diabolic. 50 more games into Redman could see him becoming a borderline A grade rebounding defender/winger. 50 more games into Guelfi and we'll get......?

I like Guelfi. Some of his disposal is a bit shoddy but he's one of the few guys we have that doesn't skirt the contest looking for a cheapie he just goes straight in there and gets it and he moves through in the most direct and quick way (even if he has to take a hit to do it) which means when he hits a target we get a lot of benefit.

If Redman had shown some vague semblance of form when he did play I reckon he'd still be in.

That just means Guelfi is allowed to play to the standard because he hasn't shown anything more? Seriously, Guelfi's work on small forwards makes Hartley look like Alex Rance.

Amazes me that we are so harsh on some players still learning their roles at the same time that we'll carry players for years who are under performing.

It's not like dropping Redman to play a scratch match is going to help anything.

Last edited:
That just means Guelfi is allowed to play to the standard because he hasn't shown anything more? Seriously, Guelfi's work on small forwards makes Hartley look like Alex Rance.

Amazes me that we are so harsh on some players still learning their roles at the same time that we'll carry players for years who are under performing.

It's not like dropping Redman to play a scratch match is going to help anything.
I'm not on the match committee, nor am I particularly enamoured with either player. :shrug:

Redman has been substantially worse than Guelfi this year even if the upside is higher - if he'd been playing like he did last year I dare say he'd be in and Guelfi would be out. That's all.

I'm not on the match committee, nor am I particularly enamoured with either player. :shrug:

Redman has been substantially worse than Guelfi this year even if the upside is higher - if he'd been playing like he did last year I dare say he'd be in and Guelfi would be out. That's all.

People don’t like facts mate.. apparently Guelfi is s**t and be no where near the senior side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just figured Guelfi brings some more physical attributes they like. Hes quick and has a good tank, it might be as simple as that.

I think they have been simply trying to select a winning side while still in theoretical contention.

Guelfi has been improved this year, a bit cleaner and a bit less dumb. Redman has been decidedly, strangely poor at times in 2020.

Agree that Redman has way more upside and now the season is busted we might as well start thinking long term and playing him.

People don’t like facts mate.. apparently Guelfi is sh*t and be no where near the senior side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what facts you are talking about.

A set out facts would be the number of times Rankine was running free in the GC forward 50 and the number of shots he had on goal when Guelfi was supposed to be playing on him.

If Rankine played to his usual level and completely torched Guelfi for giving him all that space, kicks 4-6 our season is done a few weeks earlier.

There are plenty of comments made about Guelfi that I do not agree with. I do not agree he is talentless, or words to that effect, most recently said as part of a comparison with BZT. Guelfi's kicking is quite good and has potential that would place it close to the top 10 - 15 players on the list. He's also generally a pretty solid decision maker.

My problem is with the view we are selecting a player who can't get near a small forward to help us win game (and I would say that rationale is clearly underpinning the decision making). If there is something about his game, other than tropes about his attack on the ball/man that are no better than players like Redman and McKenna, who do not get plaudits for such things, that would justify the time being put in to him it's not obvious. There must be something about giving gun small forwards free reign in the forward 50 that is part of Rutten's team defence.

Last edited:
Not sure what facts you are talking about.

A set out facts would be the number of times Rankie was running free in the GC forward 50 and the number of shot he had on goal when Guelfi was supposed to be playing on him.

If Rankine played to his usual level and completely torches Guelfi for giving him all that space, kicks 4-6 our season is done a few weeks earlier.

There are plenty of comments made about Guelfi that I do not agree with. I do not agree he is talentless, or words to that effect, most recently said as part of a comparison with BZT. Guelfi's kicking is quite good and has potential that would place it close to the top 10 - 15 players on the list. He's also generally a pretty solid decision maker.

My problem is with the view we are selecting a player who can't get near a small forward to help us win game (and I would say that rationale is clearly underpinning the decision making). If there is something about his game, other than tropes about his attack on the ball/man that are no better than players like Redman and McKenna who do not get plaudits for such things, that would justify the time being put in to him it's not obvious. There must be something about giving gun small forward free reign in the forward 50 that is part of Rutten's team defence.
Hey bombers fans , I throw this in before you give it to me , I think your post is s*** , but that doesn’t mean you cant post it , he’s on your list so just embrace him and your whole squad , maybe at the end of the year you can post stuff like that and may trade players in or out , I watched the bombers v eagles game the other night and I was barracking for the bombers , I haven’t been thru years of pain like you guys but your a very successful club , get on board , the other night in this forum in the game between Hawks the crap before half time compared to after half time was unbelievable , just get on board , stop sacking everyone , ok now you can give it to me And I’m not his dad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey bombers fans , I throw this in before you give it to me , I think your post is s*** , but that doesn’t mean you cant post it , he’s on your list so just embrace him and your whole squad , maybe at the end of the year you can post stuff like that and may trade players in or out , I watched the bombers v eagles game the other night and I was barracking for the bombers , I haven’t been thru years of pain like you guys but your a very successful club , get on board , the other night in this forum in the game between Hawks the crap before half time compared to after half time was unbelievable , just get on board , stop sacking everyone , ok now you can give it to me And I’m not his dad
Good advice Uncle Guero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back